Mac Questions Thread. I killed my Mac today....

Davo94

Likes Dirt
i to agree not to enter into the superior fight. The update i get from microsoft isnt so much the you need to buy a new pc, its the pc going well ive done my year, goodbye battery, motherboard, memory and anything else with a breakage timer on it. But then again it was a trashiba (toshiba). Personal opinion after using both extensivly i would never look back to a pc.
I have had the same experience with a Mac. Hard drive died thrice, Motherboard twice, charger once(ha... 321) and numerous other issues including a whole new Macbook. I will never look at Macintosh computers again. Hmm... about you Trashiba I have had one running for over 6 years with NO problems except re-installing windows twice (compared to the mac which has been reinstalled over 7 times)

So much for Mac better than Windows

Windows sucks aswell I know so I have tried linux and found that it was the best OS for my needs.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
What's the price for Snow Leopard? I actually bought Leopard when it came out but never installed it on account of my laptop's CD drive being shit.

Speaking of which, for my first foray into the Mac thread, my CD drive is shit. Some discs it will read, others it will just spin up, stop, spin up, stop, spin up, stop, eject. Any ideas? Is it viable to take this thing to the Mac store and just say "service my computer for me and give it back clean, running Snow Leopard. Thanks."? It's I think either the 1st or 2nd Gen of the Intel based MacBooks - 13.5", white, purchased beginning '07.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Sooo Snow Leopard comes out this Friday. Which of you nerds are going to be at the Apple Store nice and early? I know I will ;)
I already have a copy. Putting it on a PC tomorrow.:D

Speaking of which, for my first foray into the Mac thread, my CD drive is shit. Some discs it will read, others it will just spin up, stop, spin up, stop, spin up, stop, eject. Any ideas? Is it viable to take this thing to the Mac store and just say "service my computer for me and give it back clean, running Snow Leopard. Thanks."? It's I think either the 1st or 2nd Gen of the Intel based MacBooks - 13.5", white, purchased beginning '07.
Yep, take it in at the very least to have the drive repaired.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
macs fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you for your quality input into this thread. And for the record, my mac has never failed me, which is surprising since ive done some really nasty things to the hard drive to have various different booting configurations

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Yeah, I'll be upgrading to Snow Leopard not long after it comes out. The size of the OS has apparently been reduced by 7GB. Don't know how that's done but that's good news. Apple claim the Finder will be close to 2x faster as well, Coverflow and Quicklook should be absolutely seamless with loading documents then.

If you don't have Leopard, the box set is still pretty good value. As long as you didn't go out and purchase iLife 09 and iWork 09 separately while staying on Tiger (if that's even possible given system requirements of iLife/iWork). Good way for Apple to get people upgrading and to get their iWork apps out there.

indica

Serial flasher
Apple claim the Finder will be close to 2x faster as well, Coverflow and Quicklook should be absolutely seamless with loading documents then.

A friend has been running it for a while and says it is MUCH smaller and faster ...
I wont be getting it as it is intel only and I am in PPC land .....

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IF we have loepard stock on a mac, do we get the upgrade cheap? Anything to make mine faster with all the crap on it!!

frostbite

Likes Dirt
So I bought a macbook pro 15" 2.66ghz (The better video card/ larger drive)..... and its awesome.

Im learning how to use everything pretty quickly, the trackpad gestures have blown my mind. Its so damn good, I am seriously considering not even buying a mouse to go with it.

I bought an apple remote, because what I usually do is plug my shit into my guitar amp (through the CD input) and play music through that. I hate having to walk accross the apartment to change stuff, so this remote kicks ass for that.

Everything so far has been so smooth - moving my files onto it, setting everything up.

Now, this bit is just gushing about how happy I am with it, but.... the thing I was most impressed with was iMovie. I have a Panasonic SDR7 which records video directly onto an SD card. On my pc it was such a hassle to get it off the camera, I rarely bothered. I had to install especially shitty software to get it off, and edit it. I thought it was my old PC, so I put it onto a newer windows laptop. It still sucked, it was slow, seemed to hang while importing and was hard to use to edit. With this computer I just stick the sd card into the reader built in, it automatically recognises it and importing is easy. It does take a while, especially if you want to automatically stabilise the video which I havent tried yet as it was going to take 8 hours to stabilise 1.5 hours of video.
What blew my mind with iMovie is that you can crop, rotate, fit the video to screen while its playing!!! Its really really impressive!

indica

Serial flasher
IF we have loepard stock on a mac, do we get the upgrade cheap? Anything to make mine faster with all the crap on it!!
Only if you bought it recently ....

Try XSlimmer to speed up your machine, it strips the unneeded binary (languages, PPC stuff etc) from your programs, freeing up space and speeding your shit up.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So the mouse button on my macbook is sort of stuck... it still works, but doesn't 'click' as such. anyone know how to fix it without pulling the bastard apart? Keeping in mind, i've thrashed the shit out of this computer, dropped it countless times, broken the screen (fixed, obviously), replaced logic board 4 times etc etc etc, yet the old bigger still runs as quick as it did on day one!

<3 My Mac.:)

VEZ69

Likes Bikes
yep, my macbook runs the same speed it did on day one also, even clogged up with memory (bike stuff) :Dto the brim. better clean some memory out one day.

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys

Is there any form of antivirus software for Mac, it's mainly to protect the other PC's on my home network

Battler

Likes Dirt
I have had the same experience with a Mac. Hard drive died thrice, Motherboard twice, charger once(ha... 321) and numerous other issues including a whole new Macbook. I will never look at Macintosh computers again. Hmm... about you Trashiba I have had one running for over 6 years with NO problems except re-installing windows twice (compared to the mac which has been reinstalled over 7 times)

So much for Mac better than Windows

Windows sucks aswell I know so I have tried linux and found that it was the best OS for my needs.
Then i guess its a bit of Crapshoot there really is no right answer, my Macs been running as strong as the day i got it, within weeks i was having problems with my Toshiba. At my school every year they insist that every kid requires a laptop. I'am willing to put money that they put more back into the computer replacing items than the initial cost of the laptop.

Guess we have to learn to love to hate technology.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
All companies have lemons.. The QA department doesnt alway catch these sort of failures, especially if they happen months into ownership.

my brothers iMac was DOA. hard drive shat itself about an hour after first run. Boxed it up and took it back to the apple store. longest part of the trip was my brazen attempt to chat up the hot eurasian chick behind the counter. Oh yeh, we also got a replacement, no fuss, no worry.

I guess because apple places so much emphasis on their products being good (which they are) that people get a lemon and then completely brandish the whole company as crap or worse than windows equivalents.

people are so accustomed to Windows machine being rubbish that a reinstall every time something screws up is acceptable, and that its ok to throw out a perfectly good machine because it has a dud component. its cheap, who cares.

It would be no different to you buying a merc that had a faulty drive train or dash cluster and then saying "ooh them mercs are really crap. 3 issues i had when i bought it. never had any problem with my holden". even though its well documented that holdens are less reliable in the long run and cheaper than a merc.