Mackay Downhill

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are there any DH trails in Mackay?

I have to go there for work one weekend soon.

I am going there from the 16th to the 18th of June

Last edited:

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, some dam sweet ones. I can give you a number to call if you want to PM me for it. There is one at Kinchant (best DH in Queensland IMHO) and a few others around.

duck_man

Likes Dirt
When are you going up there? as there is a race on at Kinchant damn queens birthday long weekend.

Best Dh track i have seen!

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
Yeah like those two said, the Mackay DH track has the potential to be the best DH track in QLD. Just make sure you bring all your armour. Those rocks are intimidating...

duck_man

Likes Dirt
fattyandthepiemakers said:
Yeah like those two said, the Mackay DH track has the potential to be the best DH track in QLD. Just make sure you bring all your armour. Those rocks are intimidating...
Pfft no there not ;P

But yeah, IMHO best Dh track in qld.

zorf

Likes Dirt
if all goes well I plan to be in mackay for it as well, cheers for the info fatty. Is there anywhere that has directions to the track?

50 bucks seems like good value for a two day race as well, does it include a day licence or is it not required or extra?

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
zorf said:
if all goes well I plan to be in mackay for it as well, cheers for the info fatty. Is there anywhere that has directions to the track?

50 bucks seems like good value for a two day race as well, does it include a day licence or is it not required or extra?
Well here is some info that might help you off some website...

Kinchant Dam, Mirani

Kinchant Dam is located in the picturesque Pioneer Valley and is 41 kilometres west of Mackay. The Dam was built on Sandy Creek to provide irrigation and town water in 1977, it holds 62 800 mega litres of water at an average depth of 6.8 metres and has a surface area of 920 hectares when full.

The dam is stocked by local fish stocking association MAFSA which includes Sooty Grunter, Sleepy Cod and since 2000, Barramundi. There are also breeding populations of Fork Tailed Catfish, Eel Tailed Catfish, Spangled Perch and Mouth Almighty. There is no boating or speed limit restrictions here, and is very popular spot on the weekends for those with their own speed boats, jet skis and water ski. A concrete boat ramp is provided.

Accommodation which includes camping sites, van site, dorm accommodation and self contained units are available at the dam and are provided by Kinchant Waters Leisure Resort.

To get to Kinchant Dam, travel west from Mackay through North Eton and follow the signs to the dam, which can also be accessed via a bitumen and dirt road from Mirani, past the Pioneer Valley Golf Course. At Kinchant there is a beautiful park area overlooking the dam, ideal for picnics with barbecue and toilet facilities close by. It has a kiosk, licensed restaurant, and activities other than fishing such as including bushwalking, mountain bike riding

Once you enter the caravan park keep following the road until you come to a large valley. This is where all the action will be.

Last edited:

duck_man

Likes Dirt
zorf said:

Add $15 for a day licence.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is two main ways to get to Kinchant. If you are coming from the far north then going through Mirani is cool. Other wise it is better to go through the peak downs highway, to Walkerston, to Eton and Eton rd and follow the signs. If you are going straight there and you are driving from the South it is quickest to turn at Sarina and go past my old place, but that is a little confusing...

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I need to go to Mackay for work next weekend 17th and 18th. I only need to do a little job on the sat morning at the sydney st markets. If someone from mackay could take me for some shuttles on the sunday and/or saturday afternoon I would bring my bike and be a very happy little man. I have been to Yungela (spelling) before and know that the mountains are prime for DH.