Mackenzie Frenzy Downhill trai maintenance

Guy From Nowhere

Likes Bikes
Mackenzie Frenzy Downhill track maintenance:
Sunday 7th October 2012
1200h meet at the Harvey St Gazebo

The focus this weekend will be on digging up to six 2 foot deep holes to secure the retaining wall sections of the track. Unfortunately this will be by hand and hard work as there is not possibility of getting machinery onto the track at that section.

Further task will include:
1. Reshaping water bars to remove water from the track
2. Repacking the A-line in the rock garden with soil, as per the race day
3. Rebuilding and installing a few log based drops to act as water bars. (this is primarily the one the council burnt out)

Tools required:
1. Plenty of crow bars
2. Shovels
3. Buckets for movement of soil
4. Chainsaw
5. Bunting for closure of track

Note well: the track upper section will remain closed from the fire road below the chute down to the grassy knoll until the work is completed. To coin an old phrase differently, this should be no more than a month of sundays!

THE ENTIRE TRACK IS CLOSED SUNDAY 7th October 2012

aussie pete

Likes Dirt
Council will drop off crowbars, mattocks, shovels and what ever else they think we could use , there are signs up at both gazebos notifying track maintenance and closure and refreshments have been organized. Hope to see a good turn out.
At the end of the day can someone drop the tooling back to council?

Last edited:

Guy From Nowhere

Likes Bikes
Thanks to all who turned up and gave a hand. Having the holes dug and uprights concreted in should allow us to get the rock armouring done in two weeks time. Keep an eye out for new posts detailing the next maintenance day. The date will be contingent on the council supplying us with dirt from the old quarry.

Also, Jarred Graves came down and pitched in as well as giving us some ideas on how to freshen up the top section. Once it is open, I guarantee you'll find it more technical in some spots and more interesting in others!

It would be good to see some of the regular DH riders down at the next day to really pitch in and get the track cleaned up.

Cheers,
GFN

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great job Jon.

I ended up getting back from Brisbane at 5.30pm and went down and had a look. To be honest I hadn't realised how much erosion (if this is the correct word Dr Dirt) has happened to that section of track.

I guess an incentive for the DH regulars to turn up to the next one is the new features being built. Also if they want the track open sooner then they need to help fix it.

Keep up the good work and top job also to Pete for his continuing commitment to the trails that we have.

Thanks to all who turned up and gave a hand. Having the holes dug and uprights concreted in should allow us to get the rock armouring done in two weeks time. Keep an eye out for new posts detailing the next maintenance day. The date will be contingent on the council supplying us with dirt from the old quarry.

Also, Jarred Graves came down and pitched in as well as giving us some ideas on how to freshen up the top section. Once it is open, I guarantee you'll find it more technical in some spots and more interesting in others!

It would be good to see some of the regular DH riders down at the next day to really pitch in and get the track cleaned up.

Cheers,
GFN