Magic cures for fast healing?

danielb

Squid
Managed to wash out the front wheel around a berm on the down hill run home on the weekend taking most of the skin from my knee!

My knee is now a big scab and super stiff - I need back on the bike asap.

Does anyone have a technique for speeding up the healing process; old wives tails, witch doctor spells, black magic and "suck it up princess" responses welcome!! :)

Cheers

slowmick

38-39"
Bepanthen. keeps the wound moist and clean so you don't wind up cracking the scab each time you move the knee. you should heal quicker and wind up with less scar tissue.

mate who used to ride and crash a lot doing enduro motor bike racing swears by it. Also, you will smell like a baby or someone who has just had a tattoo.

guess you've got a pile of bruising and stiffness to go with it. Bepanthen isn't going to help that.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Bepanthen. keeps the wound moist and clean so you don't wind up cracking the scab each time you move the knee. you should heal quicker and wind up with less scar tissue.

mate who used to ride and crash a lot doing enduro motor bike racing swears by it. Also, you will smell like a baby or someone who has just had a tattoo.

guess you've got a pile of bruising and stiffness to go with it. Bepanthen isn't going to help that.
that stuff is fantastic. just make sure you get the nappy rash version. (has a pink label)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
For anyone thinking about injuring your knee, you need a wet wound dressing from a pharmacy - hard to fit if the wound is big, but not too bad on a smaller one. They stop it from scabbing. Possibly better to remove dressing after about 4 days or so and allow a scab to form then - this tends to be a thinner scab.

Primapore is the one I have used with success

danielb

Squid
Thanks for the response guys - im trying the bapanthan and see if that works/helps so im good for the weekend.

cheers

Danieleire

Likes Dirt
Natural yougort. A mate of mine got the head bate off him one night . He put natural yougort on all the cuts stitches and it healed up super quick . But he did look really stupid with yougort all over his face!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Yoghurt. Right. :whistle:
Wifey nurse tells me that current best practice is to let wounds dry out, not stay moist, as I had always been told :noidea:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
What I do when I have a giant scab on my knee and it's hard to move/bend it without splitting the scab and causing pain, is be a man, put up with the pain and go riding anyway.

Works every time.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just pull the scab off and put it in the scab album, make for a great coffee table book with a small description of how each one happened.

Otherwise, I just leave them on there, some clean ocean water (not in melbs bay...) seems to work pretty well, just go wading for leg ones, anything at or above testes not worth the squeals.

Optic

Likes Dirt
I grazied my face a week ago, I've been putting bepanthen on it ever day for the first 3-4 days then you let it from a scab and heal. That's what the old lady says is best. Worked all my childhood years. Keeps everything flexible too, opening your mouth to eat and then bleeding all over your food isn't a good look when you take your girlfriend out for dinner....

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Pure vitamin E cream will help reduce scarring and keep the scarring flexible too. Applied from when the skin has healed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Rex

Template denier
Honey.

Original anti biotic, promotes healing, and reduces scarring, if that concerns you.

dreny

Squid
My partner is a nurse so she knows all the best ways to treat wounds and apply dressings.

The number one rule to heal quicker is to keep the wound moist and prevent it from scabbing. The best product on the market is Jelonet which is a Paraffin Gauze Dressing. You apply the gauze to the wound and then put a bandage over the top to hold it in place. This dressing is used for burns and increases healing immensely.

I recently had a big crash on my local trail and removed allot of skin from my elbow. After applying Jelonet Gauze daily and covering it with a dressing it has almost completely healed in 3-4 days. Its witchcraft!!

Some links to the product:

http://www.smith-nephew.com/austral.../product-types/tulle-gras-dressings/jelonet-/