Magic or Witchcraft?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
It was around this time last year that I started looking into getting a new bike and at that time there were rumblings of the new high pivot offering coming from Norco. Not long after the official announcement I put my money down for Range C1 and for a while was stoked about the idea of getting a new rig......then Norco dropped the ball. Every month the delivery estimate for the bike kept getting pushed back to the point where December came and I was informed there was a high chance I wouldn't get it in '22 at all...... needless to say I got my money back, but was left wondering what do I do now?

Stock availability being what it is, nearly everything I looked at was unavailable for months, the one good thing this allowed was for me to stretch the budget a bit further considering my original timeframe. So with that little extra I decided to go with a bike I had always like the look of but never really thought I would be able to get my hands on.

Presenting my Forbidden Dreadnought

Full Specs:
Frame
- Forbidden Dreadnought - large in Deep Space Nine with full ride wrap
Rear shock - Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Zeb Ultimate - 180mm
Handlebars - Deity Speedway Carbon 35x30 at 780mm
Stem - Deity Copperhead 35mm
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - Deity Supracush
Saddle - WTB Silverado
Seatpost - Oneup V2 180mm
Front brake - TRP DHR Evo 223mm
Rear brake - TRP DHR Evo 200mm
Cranks - SRAM GX
Chain - GX Eagle
Pedals - Deity Bladerunner
Rear derailleur - GX AXS
Rear shifter - GX AXS
Cassette - GX Eagle 12sp
Front hub - Industry Nine Hydra
Rear hub - Industry Nine Hydra
Front rim - We Are One Union 29" Carbon
Rear rim - We Are One Union 29" Carbon
Tyres - Maxxis Assegai (F) and Dissector w Cush Core in rear only and Peaty's Tubeless valves.

I still had to wait a little for this as the original date was beginning of April however that ended up getting pushed back to May due to Forbidden changing their shipment process. Then to tease me even further the shipment that was supposed to contain my Large frame ended up containing an XL instead. To Forbiddens credit they air freighted a large out the very next day and Alex at Danjas Imports (massive shout out to him) made sure it got passed on asap. Once received I then proceeded to do the ride wrap myself and totally underestimated how long that would take let alone the fact it has to set for at least 24 hrs so ended up having it but not being able to ride it for a little over a week.

Yesterday despite it being a tad wet with some patchy rain I said stuff it, I am going for a ride and my god this thing is amazing..... Obviously it is new bike feeling blurring reality but it just ate up everything I threw its way like it was of no concern.....now to play around with the suspension settings and really get this thing dialed.

slowmick

38-39"
Congratulations on finally throwing a leg over your new rig. Looks tops. When was your original frame date for the Range?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Congratulations on finally throwing a leg over your new rig. Looks tops. When was your original frame date for the Range?
Original date when I put money down was for the bike to arrive Nov/Dec '21 then it just kept being pushed back till Dec comes and they were not sure I would get it before the end of '22 so I was just "nope I am out".... in the end it worked out better I think.

nice rig. would love a forbidden one day.
Cheers - for a long time I never thought it would be possible either but things fell in the right way for it to happen.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% Reverend approved. Beautiful build and spec.
Some don't believe in the magic but it really is there, especially bwhen you get the suspension nailed. What sag are you running, suspension settings?

The Ride Wrap, I wouldn't do it personally as the patience required on a new bike tests anyone. Pay a professional I say!
And DS9 is stunning.:p

Talk to me about those wheels... I'm so tempted for a set on mine as the Hope Fortus 30s are hefty as.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Love it. Looks super and I'm sure it must be hoot to ride.

Is that Blue Gum Swamp / Grose Head South by any chance?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Some don't believe in the magic but it really is there, especially bwhen you get the suspension nailed. What sag are you running, suspension settings?

The Ride Wrap, I wouldn't do it personally as the patience required on a new bike tests anyone. Pay a professional I say!

Talk to me about those wheels... I'm so tempted for a set on mine as the Hope Fortus 30s are hefty as.
How much do the Hope wheels weigh? Not sure you'll save much as the WAO's are relatively hefty too (although mine have Onyx Vesper hubs which aren't the lightest)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Seconded.
Seconded. But then I struggle to wrap a pair of cranks without the results looking abstract.
Buy some ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Dangals

Likes Dirt

Cheers, thank you for answering my questions during my decision phase, very much appreciated.

Running 30% in the rear which is a little lower than stock and about the same in the front with compression wound right out. Actually rides very well but will likely wind the compression in a tad after I have had more time....or not, who knows. Going to give the air shock some time but am still very tempted by coil and then there is the cascade link that ups the travel to 168mm.....but that is another conversation.

This is my first set of carbon wheels and so far they feel great, but hard to really say after only a few runs. But at 495g per wheel they are a tiny bit lighter than those Hopes you are running ;)

Love it. Looks super and I'm sure it must be hoot to ride.

Is that Blue Gum Swamp / Grose Head South by any chance?
Did my first ride yesterday and got in 6-7 runs and absolutely loving it. Praying the raid gods take a nap and I can ride again this weekend as the stoke is very high!

No, that is one of the lines Chicken Run if you know where that is..... I have not done those other trails, are they worth the effort?

Bike looks great @Dangals!
Cheers, super stoked how it turned out!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're most welcome. It's so hard trying to decide on any frame / bike without testing. Happy to be of assistance.

Ah, yes the Cascade Components link.. I hear it voids the warranty and given the frame cost I'm not game. The links're not cheap to buy either are they?
Certainly would like 168mm of travel to suit the 170mm / 180mm front but it really does rode exceptionally well at it is out of the box.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Ah, yes the Cascade Components link.. I hear it voids the warranty and given the frame cost I'm not game. The links're not cheap to buy either are they?
Certainly would like 168mm of travel to suit the 170mm / 180mm front but it really does rode exceptionally well at it is out of the box.
Yes from what I gather it does, however we know they have their own big travel link and hopefully at some point they will release one of their own or certify the Cascade one. You could always just swap it back to stock prior to sending it anywhere....

I am of the same mindset though about is it worth it when the stock bike rides so well....ah more time riding needed

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Did my first ride yesterday and got in 6-7 runs and absolutely loving it. Praying the raid gods take a nap and I can ride again this weekend as the stoke is very high!

No, that is one of the lines Chicken Run if you know where that is..... I have not done those other trails, are they worth the effort?
Cross those fingers for dry weather. It has been threatening in the lowlands all morning but hasn't dumped just yet.

Those other trails are at Winmalee and not what you are looking for but they aren't too far from Mt Riverview either.
Enjoy your new steed!

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
How are these going for you? I have a lightweight trail bike build in the early planning stages, but keen on some silent hubs.
Bearings in the front only lasted a couple of months from new but the replacements have been going strong for about 18 months. Apart from that zero complaints and the silence really is golden.
Also easy to change from 15 to 20mm front axle with just an end cap swap.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Bearings in the front only lasted a couple of months from new but the replacements have been going strong for about 18 months. Apart from that zero complaints and the silence really is golden.
Also easy to change from 15 to 20mm front axle with just an end cap swap.
No issues with the engagement (slipping) or cassette falling off when the wheel’s removed?

I so want a set of these but the early reports scared me off…