Magura brake rotor pulsing

goobags

Likes Dirt
My Magura brakes have always pulsed from new. Two sets of MT Trails sports with 180mm HC rotors all round. The pulsing is audible under hard braking and I can feel it through my arms.

Last weekend while servicing a hub, I noticed the wear marks on the rotor went onto the ‘spoke’ of the disc. I feel like this would be causing the issue as the surface area changes (along with the varying ventilation holes).
Has anyone else had this issue? What other discs could I use to get away from this problem? Not a fan of the Shimano floating ones as they never run true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
My discs look the same and I can often hear it but I don't notice any pulsing feeling. I am running 203mm rotors front and rear though. MT trail with non Storm rotors. Shimano I think.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Magura brakes have always pulsed from new. Two sets of MT Trails sports with 180mm HC rotors all round. The pulsing is audible under hard braking and I can feel it through my arms.

Last weekend while servicing a hub, I noticed the wear marks on the rotor went onto the ‘spoke’ of the disc. I feel like this would be causing the issue as the surface area changes (along with the varying ventilation holes).
Has anyone else had this issue? What other discs could I use to get away from this problem? Not a fan of the Shimano floating ones as they never run true.
I think you nailed it and I agree with Tubbsy and Litenbror. Get a couple of those male/female dome washers designed for brakes and slide em in between caliper and post mount. Christ you can even get em matchy matchy colours and titanium.......

Terminal

Likes Bikes
Yeah I have this same issue. It’s not a typical brake squeal, just a kind of friction/grinding noise.

MT5s with Storm rotors.

I’d always just tolerated it and assumed it was normal for Magura brakes. It only ever does it under heavy braking, it doesn’t affect power and there’s no feeling of it through the lever.

I reckon the extra washer will fix it. I feel a bit silly not having thought of that earlier.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Sorry for getting off-topic guys, how do people like the MT Trail Sports? I'm after a new set of stoppers and these piqued my interest comparatively against a set of new Deore ones.
Will they work with (some fairly fresh) Shimano rotors? Or do I need to factor that in too?

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Sorry for getting off-topic guys, how do people like the MT Trail Sports? I'm after a new set of stoppers and these piqued my interest comparatively against a set of new Deore ones.
Will they work with (some fairly fresh) Shimano rotors? Or do I need to factor that in too?
I like mine a lot. This set have been on the last three bikes I have owned. I liked the feel of them more than the old Deores I had (2016 I think). The one finger lever is great and you don't need to crush your other fingers to stop. They are much more on/off than Sram Guides but I don't feel like I need more modulation. Out of the box they might need bleeding, one of mine did. Might want to get a bleed kit with the purchase. Not as easy to bleed as Deore but nothing too bad from memory. Have been working fine with Shimano rotors. I haven't used the Storm rotors which are thicker and might feel a bit different.
Haven't used them for anything much more than trail riding so I haven't tested the limits but after a few years they are still my favorite over the Deore and Guide SRC that I have used on other bikes.

goobags

Likes Dirt
I’ll try and borrow a GoPro, put it on the handlebars and see if I can get a decent video with sound of what’s going on.

It’s definitely only under very hard braking, with it being more pronounced on the front but that is more to do with the overall greater braking force the front has.

On the brakes themselves, I moved to them after having multiple warranty issues with some of the early M8000 levers. Don’t like the lever feel of SRAM brakes and couldn’t justify Hopes having never run them before so these kind of fit the bill. Definitely feel more like a Shimano brake than SRAM in regards to modulation and on/off feel.

I noticed on very long descents at Thredbo I was getting brake fade on the rear so changed to a 4 pot MT5 caliper and that made a huge difference. Definitely a lot more powerful. I have to adjust braking style switching between my two bikes as the change in braking power is very noticeable.

Bleeding sucks, best done with the brakes removed from the bike, bad luck if you have internal routing and although parts are relatively easy to find online, they’re not cheap locally and can be hard to find in stores.

poita

Likes Dirt
I run MT6s on one bike. I have run SRAM, Shimano and Magura of various kinds. I run mostly SLX on other bikes for simplicity and cheeeepness. The feel, power and modulation of Shimano isn't even in the same galaxy as Magura. SRAM modulation is slightly better depending on the day. The huge downside is the exorbitant cost and poor stock/parts availability in Australia. I've only ever had luck going straight to the distributor (who recently restructured I think?). They will absolutely work with your rotors, but will be better with Magura rotors IMHO. I would definitely recommend you try them, if you can get them and afford them.

EDIT: Bleeding is certainly not as easy as Shimano, but once you've done it once or twice it's easy to get a good bleed. So long as you have the correct gear.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt

I am almost certain the arms of the rotor have nothing to do with it. I run MT6 with the same rotor you've got on the front and have the exact same experience. I don't actually feel a pulsing at the lever though. I never have the issue on the rear that runs the SL rotor, and I never had it on the front when I had the SL on the front. That rotor has evenly spread ventilation holes. It also bent in a stiff breeze, hence why I don't run it on the front anymore

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I run MT6s on one bike. I have run SRAM, Shimano and Magura of various kinds. I run mostly SLX on other bikes for simplicity and cheeeepness. The feel, power and modulation of Shimano isn't even in the same galaxy as Magura. SRAM modulation is slightly better depending on the day. The huge downside is the exorbitant cost and poor stock/parts availability in Australia. I've only ever had luck going straight to the distributor (who recently restructured I think?). They will absolutely work with your rotors, but will be better with Magura rotors IMHO. I would definitely recommend you try them, if you can get them and afford them.

EDIT: Bleeding is certainly not as easy as Shimano, but once you've done it once or twice it's easy to get a good bleed. So long as you have the correct gear.
Cheers. Can pick up a set of MT Trail Sports for ~$280 from Amazon, so a bit more than Deores and around SLX. Was thinking of giving them a throw and upgrade my base level Altus-level ones given bugger all else is in stock. They’re a mix of MT5 and MT4, and review pretty well.
If I grab a set I’ll get a bleed kit too

goobags

Likes Dirt
I am almost certain the arms of the rotor have nothing to do with it. I run MT6 with the same rotor you've got on the front and have the exact same experience. I don't actually feel a pulsing at the lever though. I never have the issue on the rear that runs the SL rotor, and I never had it on the front when I had the SL on the front. That rotor has evenly spread ventilation holes. It also bent in a stiff breeze, hence why I don't run it on the front anymore
I’m not 100% convinced it’s the arms either but it’s interesting to hear that you noticed it.
The super light part of SL is why I didn’t get them. They wouldn’t hold up to what I expect of brakes.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Thread dig but seemed the best spot for this.

I had the same issue (friction/grinding sound) with my MT5 calipers and seem to have found a fix.

Light coating of Ceramasil on the back plate of the brake pads and reinstall.

IMG_1228.jpeg

Be careful to carefully clean any you get around the caliper on reinstall and then you’re good to go. This stuff is designed for car brakes so is waterproof and resistant to hi temps and shouldn’t move once it’s on there.

One ride with some mud and water and they’re deadly silent and working great.