Magura brakes with shimano oil?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Just bought some mt7’s and was wondering if shimano mineral oil is compatible? I have read both yes and no. Can anyone running magura brakes confirm. I have bought another bleed kit with a 100ml bottle of magura fluid just in case. Would like to run shimano oil if I can as all other bikes run shimano brakes and I have heaps of fluid. My thoughts are it should be fine if I do a full flush when I shorten lines. Any advice from people running magura’s would be appreciated.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So is he saying that Redline Likewater is the best mineral oil to use in ALL mineral oil mtb brakes?
Correct, theres a post here from years ago with his personal experiences as well:

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...shimano-hydraulic-brakes.183771/#post-1955768

Having said that, the shimano fluid is probably the easiest to get of the top three, and the difference is apparently noticeable but not life changing. I have some new Cura 4 pots on the way and I fully intend on using shimano fluid in them.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Interesting... I run Magura on my bikes and have run out of oil as I only got a 100mL bottle. Was about to order a litre of the stuff off Merlin but might give this Redline stuff a go.

Was originally going to say, you spent a fair bit of cash so go OEM but there are arguments the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
both are mineral oils, and therefore the rubber seals should be compatible in both cases with mineral oils.
the liquid paint stripper that Sram and hayes use in their brakes wont work, but that performance is common with their brake sets too!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Correct, theres a post here from years ago with his personal experiences as well:

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...shimano-hydraulic-brakes.183771/#post-1955768

Having said that, the shimano fluid is probably the easiest to get of the top three, and the difference is apparently noticeable but not life changing. I have some new Cura 4 pots on the way and I fully intend on using shimano fluid in them.
I've got Curas and just managed to pick up some Redline off eBay, $19 for 473ml. Will be a while till I use it though.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Are mineral oils not the same? Besides colour??
Colour is only an additive as mineral oil is clear. I don’t no enough to no what else is added along the way that may harm seals etc. Baby oil is mineral oil(only used name as example).

Reading the link above both magura and shimano are listed as mineral oil were redline is synthetic (what else is added).

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are mineral oils not the same? Besides colour??
Unfortunately not, unlike DOT which is a minimum standard that the fluids have to meet in regards to boiling points etc, mineral oil have no such thing. You can see the magura stuff has less than half the boiling point of Shimano and redline, there's also no viscosity index either, so a thick mineral oil will feel sluggish in your brake.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
On the otherside of the spectrum, I have been using Magura blood is shimano brakes for more than 5 years, after buying a big arse bottle cheap from the germans. No issues at all, on a mates bike with saints, he often has the rear rotor glowing, no fade, no pump up or loss of lever firmness. I am of the uneducated opinion that it does matter what brand of mineral oil is used, its all the same - buy the cheapest MTB option.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Opposite way around to the original question, but I bench tested an old set of Shimano brakes with different fluids, including Magura Blood. I didn't field test them, but over an extended period on the bench there was no discernible loss of pressure. Therefore it's safe to presume that Shimano oil will be fine in Magura brakes.