Product Review Magura Trail Carbon brakes

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Item: Magura Trail Carbon (with alloy levers)
Purchased From: Licensed OS supplier (can provide further details)
Purchase Price (approx): I paid about $250 delivered but prices generally range anywhere from $450 - $850
Usage: These are on my 'one bike to do it all'. They are light enough for trail riding and powerful enough for downhill.

Pros - super powerful and top of class modulation. Sexy chrome calipers and fancy magnetic pad retaining system is pretty handy too.
Cons - 'plastic-y' material of the master has led to some fuckwit moments

Comments: I'm pretty torn about these sexy mofos so here is the good news first... they do everything a mountainbike brake should do and they do it better than most. They have the power to stop a Clydesdale with all the modulation you could ever wish for. The one piece polished chrome caliper is sexy as hell and Magura have sweated the details to deliver some handy extras like the magnetic pad retaining system and torx25 hardware all across the system from caliper bolts to lever bolts and even the bleed screw. Kudos for that.

The standard pads give great feel and bed in quickly to give full power after just 15-20 hard stops. These brakes give plenty of feel back trough the level so you always know how much you have left in reserve. And when it does come time to stop the earth's rotation with a fist full of lever pull, the four pots up front and two out the back bite hard and give you all the power you'll ever need.

So what's not to like right? They are light, they stop good and they are sexy...

Well, for a start there is the price. There is no way I would buy these at the advertised retail price on any of the popular websites. There are simply too many good options for half the price. Even Magura themselves have options that give 90% of the performance for half the price...

The other issue to consider is the 'carbotecture SL' material used for the master. It might be light but is also has a plastic-like feel to it that looks a little cheap and requires careful application of torque. Because I'm a fuckwit, I almost crossed the thread in the right hand lever after shortening the hose and reattaching the sleeve nut. It started to cross but I was able to back it off and use a socket bit (without the hose in place) to press the nut in flush and basically re-tap the thread straight.

If I had've crossed the thread any worse, it would have been goodbye very expensive master.

After that experience I still almost fucked up again screwing the bleed screw back in. Just before I gave it a metric handful of torque, I checked the instructions (crazy, I know) and found it recommended just 1nm of torque. Just 1mn! I didn't know there was such a thing...

After all of that, I was a little gun shy when it came to trimming and re-attaching my rear line. I didn't tighten the sleeve nut enough on that one and it seems like it led to a slight leak and air getting in which would ruin my bleed after a few rides. I tightened it down a bit more and all has been good since then.

As you can see - all of that was my fault, not the brakes BUT if the master was alloy, I wouldn't have had an issue and I would only be carrying a few grams extra weight. Something for potential buyers to at least be aware of.

The final thing to mention is that I had to get a replacement on one of the masters. I had a small crash after a large braking moment and a seal went in the master. It may not be worth mentioning except that I found it impossible to crack open the master to diagnose the issue of work on it. And there are NO diagrams or instructions online for this latest generation Magura MT next masters leading me to think they are non-serviceable beyond the very basics.

The distributor I bought from was very helpful and we sorted out a replacement quickly so all was good from that point of view.

So the bottom line is this - awesome brakes and now that they are working properly I love them. Most people probably won't encounter the issues I did and will just have a blissful braking experience. But you will have to pay a high entry price and I can't really see what they bring to the table that justifies the expense over Magura's own MT5 or MT trail Sport combination for half the price (or less).

Pictures/Videos:

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

kand

Likes Dirt
I love my magura's...especially the feel/modulation.

And I've managed to over torque the same nut, with a trip to the importer here in Sydney who sorted me quick smart

yuley95

I love my magura's...especially the feel/modulation.

And I've managed to over torque the same nut, with a trip to the importer here in Sydney who sorted me quick smart
It’s a real trap for young players. Service has been great and sounds like you experience was good too so at least they back it up and make it easy if you do have an issue.

kand

Likes Dirt
It’s a real trap for young players. Service has been great and sounds like you experience was good too so at least they back it up and make it easy if you do have an issue.
Once the importer explained to me the tech about the brakes...it's been plain sailing from then on

yuley95

Yikes! I just looked up pricing on CRC. Ouch...
Yeah, German sellers are much better. CRC is on crack with their pricing for these.

If anyone is interested, I’m happy to give the contact of the guy in the states I bought mine off. I think he had some odd stock he was selling off cheap and may not have any left but worth a shot.

I say ‘odd stock’ because they have alloy leavers instead of carbon which I actually like better anyway

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've got the MT2 levers and they are Carbotecture main bodies but I've never had any issues with the threads crossing or fittings not sealing. Maybe the initial build of the brake fittings were over tight and it caused a problem when you went to refit them. I've heard of a story that a lever body split and fell apart during a race and the piston popped out.

yuley95

I've got the MT2 levers and they are Carbotecture main bodies but I've never had any issues with the threads crossing or fittings not sealing. Maybe the initial build of the brake fittings were over tight and it caused a problem when you went to refit them. I've heard of a story that a lever body split and fell apart during a race and the piston popped out.
I’m sure most people will never have an issue- particularly if they get them fitted by a professional.

I just wanted to be open about my experience but wouldn’t want to focus too much on it as I’m sure it was mostly my fault.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Nice write up and areally nice looking bit of kit.

CRC are nuts asking for that much, double zee Germans...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The review I read didnt like the flex in the carbon levers sp you probably did well. Having said tgat I dont notice any flex in the carbon on my cheap XTR levers.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should try punching the lever pivot pin out and then in of the carbon body to replace the standard levers with the HC3 levers. That's nerve wracking!

yuley95

You should try punching the lever pivot pin out and then in of the carbon body to replace the standard levers with the HC3 levers. That's nerve wracking!
I hear the HC3 levers are great. How do you find them? (Besides nerve-wracking to fit)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I hate to be the downer, but have you tried Zees? How do they compare?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

yuley95

I hate to be the downer, but have you tried Zees? How do they compare?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
No I haven’t. I ran XT’s for a short time and didn’t get along with the ‘on/off’ feel so I’ve never really gone back to Shimano. Maybe Zee’s are different?

I’ve run 2-pot and 4-pot Avid/SRAM brakes mostly and like the modulation but the Magura’s are even better.

I wonder though if someone coming off Shimano would like them or miss the instant bite.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear the HC3 levers are great. How do you find them? (Besides nerve-wracking to fit)
Lots of adjustability so you can get them in exactly the right position. I like the feel of them too. They are more rounded than my Diretissema levers, more like a Shimano lever but feel a bit thicker.

goobags

Likes Dirt
No I haven’t. I ran XT’s for a short time and didn’t get along with the ‘on/off’ feel so I’ve never really gone back to Shimano. Maybe Zee’s are different?

I’ve run 2-pot and 4-pot Avid/SRAM brakes mostly and like the modulation but the Magura’s are even better.

I wonder though if someone coming off Shimano would like them or miss the instant bite.
I have the cheaper “sport” model and came from Shimano M785 and M8000 and won’t be going back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yuley95

I have the cheaper “sport” model and came from Shimano M785 and M8000 and won’t be going back

I feel like the ‘sport’ model is probably the sweet spot for performance and price.

What sort of bike and terrain do you ride them on? Do they give you all the power you need?

goobags

Likes Dirt
I feel like the ‘sport’ model is probably the sweet spot for performance and price.

What sort of bike and terrain do you ride them on? Do they give you all the power you need?
Only have about 10 rides on them around Newy so mostly XC type stuff but on a trail bike with 180mm rotors. Good enough that I am moving my hardtail to them as well. They will get a workout at Maydena in a couple of months so that will be the real test.

Plenty of stopping power, was bedding them in down a bitumen road and once they started to get power into them, it was crazy how they kept giving more power. They smelt terrible by the time I had finished but there was no significant drop in power. Different feel to XTs including the actual physical shape of the lever but getting used to them.

I actually only got them as I had the dreaded M8000 pump up issue ongoing and they were the only well reviewed brake which used mineral oil and wasn’t super expensive.