Maintaining trueness

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hi Gang,

Any tip on keeping wheels trued, mainly the the rear one? I've seen the cush core and huck norris manage to prevent pinch flats, rim strikes etc. Does increasing tire pressure help? Wider rims? I've had my Stan's Arch Mk3 for over a year. They're 26mm ID and I honestly I can't fault them until recently after getting trued, it's now a bit wobbly. Not completely off but you know annoyingly wobbly when you spin it. Maybe time for an upgrade to larger rim in the rear if it's going to help.
Stans Mk3 rims have been known to crack at the nipple hole, have a close look and make sure you don't have hairline cracks.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Stans Mk3 rims have been known to crack at the nipple hole, have a close look and make sure you don't have hairline cracks.
Interesting!

Ive been sus on my Arch mk3’s almost from the get go when i got my new bike. Just seemed they started going out of true with a handful of rides (vs the wheels on my anthem which survived 4 frames yet remained dead true despite having plenty of scratches and battle scars). These Stans Arch wheels have left me very dissapointed and now it seems ive found the answer, low and behold 12 of the 16 drive side holes have cracked on the rim.

Currently awaiting to hear re: warranty. But also now trying to work out the best option re: a new wheelset. Problem being i need boost front and non boost rear...

Travis.

Interesting!

Ive been sus on my Arch mk3’s almost from the get go when i got my new bike. Just seemed they started going out of true with a handful of rides (vs the wheels on my anthem which survived 4 frames yet remained dead true despite having plenty of scratches and battle scars). These Stans Arch wheels have left me very dissapointed and now it seems ive found the answer, low and behold 12 of the 16 drive side holes have cracked on the rim.

Currently awaiting to hear re: warranty. But also now trying to work out the best option re: a new wheelset. Problem being i need boost front and non boost rear...

Travis.
So theorically I'll need to check the spoke holes on the outside and the inside of the rim? Man gotta take everything off what a pain.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Interesting!

Travis.
There's a few threads around on other sites about the problem. I've a set on 26" also with no problems so far but I didn't take the tension up to the recommended value and I will recommend using nipple washer on them also. I have seen and heard a few other people with rim failures but I'm unsure on the root cause as there's a lot of different configurations with builds, hubs and spoke.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
So theorically I'll need to check the spoke holes on the outside and the inside of the rim? Man gotta take everything off what a pain.

I dont think you need to look inside the rim if your is cracking too it should look just like Flow riders photo. Mines exactly like the attached pic, varing lengths stretching out from the spoke hole in the rim. Only on the drive side spokes in my case.

My front wheel is equally as dissapointing in that its gone out of true very early on but it shows no signs of cracking as yet. Wheels came factory on my Rocky Mtn, id assume built by Stans themselves? Approx 6 months old.

Travis.

I dont think you need to look inside the rim if your is cracking too it should look just like Flow riders photo. Mines exactly like the attached pic, varing lengths stretching out from the spoke hole in the rim. Only on the drive side spokes in my case.

My front wheel is equally as dissapointing in that its gone out of true very early on but it shows no signs of cracking as yet. Wheels came factory on my Rocky Mtn, id assume built by Stans themselves? Approx 6 months old.

Travis.
I've bought mine through mtbdirect Nov 2016. They've been good too me. Front has been good, I ride a hardtail and the rear is meant to be beaten up.