Majura Pines Trail Building Thread

Next build day this Sunday

A huge day last Sunday with 40 people on the ground and some awesome trail built through the Innabaanya compartment. The feedback on the trails has been great. Thanks to everyone who came along. It was a big day. Photos are up on the Book of Face page.

P1030291web.jpg

The next volunteer trail building day will be this Sunday 8 February from 8.30 am to 12.30 pm.

NOTE THE CHANGE IN MEET POINT

Meet in the carpark of the Mt Majura Winery for an 8.30am departure into the forest. If you're riding in we will base ourselves near the north western corner of the Innabaanya camp property.

Don't forget to bring:
- plenty of water
- hat and sunscreen
- food
- gloves
- sturdy footwear
- eye protection
- your favourite trail tools - rakes, mattocks, shovels, hoes, etc
We're going to sneak the next trail day in on Sunday 15 February and then we'll go fortnightly up until Easter so the trails can be ready for the Oceania Sole 24hr championships.

Hope you can make it.

A quick update for Rotorburn.

The main xc trail out at Majura Pines is nearly built. There are only two missing sections left - a gully run along the northern part of the pines, and a short section that will link up one of the southern downhill trails to the xc loop, as well as provide a climb back to the western gate.

The xc trails should be completed by the end of this month. You can find out more on the Majura Pines Trail Alliance website - http://www.majurapines.org/index.php.

Jake Hannah has also made a great video explaining what the trails will look like:
https://vimeo.com/120039653.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Might need to have some rethink on some sections. There's a few inland oceans on the bermed sections near the winery and also in the little part of the flow trail that's open at the south end of the network. There's also a lot of water that's settled on the fire trails/roadways in some sections as well that give the appearance of remaining swampy for some time. Not sure what can be done about a lot of this, just wanted to shoot through some feedback.

Sorry I can't offer my digging hand to the cause but my available time is already committed to working on the Bruce Ridge trails. Love your work at Majura though, really enjoy what you've done so far.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Would it be worth going for a walk next time there's small oceans with a can of spray paint to highlight where water is pooling? It may be fairly obvious where the worst of it is, but I can't imagine that highlighting it would hurt! I have a can put aside for this purpose for BR.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I believe the next build day is this weekend. That water will be there for a fortnight.

I managed to have a chat to the Jindabyne Landscaping team during Sunday's build day. They are already aware of the problematic pooling of water on some of the trails that they built, notably the Winery Hill descent. Bear in mind that a number of the berms on the downhills that JL built were intended to have water pooling in them - the trail line runs on the outside away from the water. However it appears that the pooling on some of these berms was too much with the amount of water that we recently received here in Canberra, so additional drainage is needed to carry the excess water away.

The MPTA (volunteer group) trails have mud on them in a few spots, notably the southern climb back to the gate on the Hackett side of Majura. There are already plans to correct some of these areas (in the next few weeks) so that we can avoid future mud development on the xc trails.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Can I ask why they planned to have water pool on the Winery track?

Intriguing concept.

My understanding is that some of the berms on the downhill trails are designed so that they will shed water into their inside sections where it will pool. The berms are designed so that the trail line runs higher up the berm and away from any water/mud. A fine concept provided that you don't get a massive rain event like we just had, which has resulted in excessive pooling that has risen up over the trail line. Also note that not all of the berms were built this way, it only appears to be certain ones due to the direction of the trail and the slope that it is travelling on.

Anyway that was how it was explained to me - I am not sure I agree with the concept, but that is what has been built on the contractor's trails out at Majura. The water logging on some of the berms can be prevented in the future by adding extra drainage features to those inside corners that were pooling too much water. The two features that were mentioned to me were to dig a deep collecting basin on the inside corner, or for the really problematic berms, putting a drain pipe through to the other side of the berm. The drainage will then lower the pooling down so that the trail line will no longer be covered by water/mud.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I like berms built like this, so they're actually functional as berms. Not berms with ends missing where you need it most. They're not hard to scoop out if needed. And if they're full of water the track probably is wet and maybe shouldn't be riden anyway.
theyre a good source of fresh dirt for repairs too. And a source of water for wildlife.
not sure of the berms in question. Maybe they just did it to pack the dirt down nod will make it drain later. No doubt someone who knows "better" will do is eventually anyway.

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like berms built like this, so they're actually functional as berms. Not berms with ends missing where you need it most. They're not hard to scoop out if needed. And if they're full of water the track probably is wet and maybe shouldn't be riden anyway.
I like that they're functional as berms. But I like it even better when they are built drain properly. This often necessitates under-trail drainage (and preferably a nice little sediment trap), but it's worthwhile.

The Majura Pines trails will be officially opened on Sunday 31st May.

Guest of honor will be Minister for Territory and Municipal Services Shane Rattenbury who will cut the ribbon at 10am at the car park on Majura Rd (near the beginner trails, pump track and dirt jumps).

After this, at approximately 10.30, volunteer members of Majura Pines Trail Alliance will be available to lead guided rides of the trails. If you aren't sure of the way this is your chance to ride with the people that built many of these trails. If you are familiar with the trails, pop down to thank them.

All new trails will be open to ride.

There will be a complementary BBQ and refreshments back at the Majura Rd car park at approximately midday.

opening_sm.jpg

Attachments

Klips

Likes Dirt
Rode the top of Planet Claire today. Holy shit, I have a new favourite track in Canberra. I'll be out tomorrow, will there be spare shovels to help? I don't own one :(

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I concur with Klips, although the bottom (below the fire road) is equally awesome. The new descent at the northern end is also well worth the climb up! Took the family today, managed to get some dirt shovelled and had fun with wife and kids on crazy crab walk + the pump track. Really, really well done..

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Also gave Planet Claire a crack a few times today. The best thing about it is that it doesn't take long to climb up the fireroad for another crack. Did anyone else noticed that loose left berm in the middle of Claire? I was hanging on for dear life.

Klips

Likes Dirt
I, along with 50 billion other riders (or that's what it felt like) had an absolutely cracking time on Sunday giving a massive work-over of the new dh trails. I think I'll be doing reps of Barry to planet Claire for some good enduro training, I was absolutely smashed after a few full pace runs. Rock Lobster is awesome too, a bit bigger than what I'm really comfortable with *right now* but will be amazing to work up to.