Majura Pines Trail Building Thread

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I thought I'd post in here as were are getting to the more pointy end of this project and there has been specific discussions in the Bruce Ridge Thread.

There are/have been discussions on the consultation re the planning of Majura Pines in both the General Forum and the ACT Specific forum - someone will no doubt post a link to them (may event be me).

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?275268-Consultation-on-the-future-of-Majura-Pines&highlight=Majura+Pines

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?275238-Majura-Pines-Consultation

Anyway, I would anticipate that the draft master plan (and consultation report) will be released for further comment soon. I'm sure there will be plenty of comments (hopefully mostly positive). As soon as I am aware that it is released I'll ensure that a link to the document goes up here (and on the other threads too).

There is some pretty positive news in the ACT Budget too with some significant dollars being assigned to the project. The cash will be used for a range of things identified in the master plan. So once the master plan has been approved then it should be a pretty quick process in getting stuff happening.

As MikeyD said in the Bruce Ridge Thread - "if you want to get involved, e-mail your details to majurapinestrails@gmail.com" (which goes to him not me)

More details when I know them

AB

nak

Likes Bikes
Excellent - will be involved for this for sure.

Is there plans some form of discussion / consultation session when the master plan is released?

Bucket Master

First round of consultation was run in February this year.

The draft master plan is pretty much complete and will be released for further comment.

From the Bruce thread someone asked for the trail not to be 'old lady trails' or some such. The plan is for variety including easier trails to the east and more technical trails on the western slopes. It should all come out in the Master Plan.

Flint

Likes Dirt
First round of consultation was run in February this year.

The draft master plan is pretty much complete and will be released for further comment.

From the Bruce thread someone asked for the trail not to be 'old lady trails' or some such. The plan is for variety including easier trails to the east and more technical trails on the western slopes. It should all come out in the Master Plan.
Any idea when the master plan will be released? I participated in the initial survey and want to continue to have input into this for the duration.

Majura was one of my favourite riding locations and I am keen to see it restored to its original flavour of riding. Its sad that the new road took out some of the best trails and was not closer to the old road :eek:hwell:

Bucket Master

Still working with the ACT Government to get the master plan out and works underway. I'm hopeful that this can progress in the very near future.

The e-mail contact for the guy coordinating the volunteer group is - majurapinestrails@gmail.com

If you are interested check out the following link and head to page 196 http://apps.treasury.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/601031/Budget-Paper-3-Budget-Outlook.pdf. You'll see that we've managed to score some reasonable funding for construction and facilities.

So in short, the plan has been done, the money has been approved and the government is working towards working with the community to get things happening.

I should also note that, despite the moniker under my user name, I've been doing this under my company and I'm talking to, but not affiliated with, CORC

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
The plan is for variety including easier trails to the east and more technical trails on the western slopes. It should all come out in the Master Plan.
So in short, the plan has been done, the money has been approved and the government is working towards working with the community to get things happening.
Sound great :) Ooh the plan has been done - I wonder, it sounds like the Master Plan might contain a planned trail layout or similar? If so, is this plan available on the Internet?

Klips

Likes Dirt
Apparently Rattenbury was on ABC666 this morning announcing *something* to do with this, anyone catch it/have a link to a word version of what he said? Even a press release would go ok.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Thanks BM. Does the preliminary money ($250k) get us the full trail outline on the map attached as stage 1?

Klips

Likes Dirt
Amen to that, my understanding is that current local rates would get about 12km of singletrack but no amenities for that money. While that suits those who can ride to there, it certainly wouldn't help a lot of the prospective users!

Klips

Likes Dirt
For NSM; and anyone who doesn't want Majura to be "like Bruce Ridge", got this from majurapinestrails /gmail/com today:

Hi all
The long awaited Majura Pines Recreation Concept Master Plan was released today. Check it out at http://www.tams.act.gov.au/parks-recreation/recreational_activities/majura-pines-recreation-area.
ACT Parks and Conservation Service would now like to meet with us in mid-October to formalise our involvement in the ongoing management of the Majura Pines trail network. As such I'd like to form a steering group of six to eight people to oversee our involvement, guide trail development and maintenance, organise trail days and liaise with PCS, etc. If you'd like to be involved please let me know. In particular, please let me know if you have any particular areas you are interested in or skills and experience you can bring to the party.
If you want to be involved but don't want to get involved in all that boring admin type stuff never fear, there will be plenty of trail building opportunites ahead for you to get involved with.
Cheers

It’s good to see the draft plan released.

Given the limited dollars allocated, perhaps it would efficient use of the money to have the contractor build a green loop and leave the development of other trails to the volunteer group and fairies. It would be appropriate to acknowledge that the fairies have played an important part in the development of the Majura trails. For many mtbers as well, trail building is an important part of their mtbing experience and so the future role of fairies should be considered in the Majura plan.

It would be easy to develop a set of guidelines developed for trail building at Majura. These guidelines may include no-go areas, bridge heights etc... to encourage the fairies to build trails that work with the contractors green loop and the trails built by the dedicated volunteer group.

I personally am not a fan of the trails maps in the draft plan as people already think that the lines on the map will be built trails – this I am sure is not the intent. Shading areas of potential trail difficulty would be more appropriate for the Majura plan.

Klips

Likes Dirt
I personally am not a fan of the trails maps in the draft plan as people already think that the lines on the map will be built trails – this I am sure is not the intent. Shading areas of potential trail difficulty would be more appropriate for the Majura plan.
The preliminary work plan does both, indicating planned zones of difficultly and riding style (so Dh routes are isolated) plus indicative trail routes. I have a feeling that the government has set aside enough money to get a contractor to do the whole thing in the name of risk mitigation and stimulating the local economy , but can't confirm from my phone - I'll see if I can find anything when I'm home.

The preliminary work plan does both, indicating planned zones of difficultly and riding style (so Dh routes are isolated) plus indicative trail routes. I have a feeling that the government has set aside enough money to get a contractor to do the whole thing in the name of risk mitigation and stimulating the local economy , but can't confirm from my phone - I'll see if I can find anything when I'm home.
Yes it does do both. My preference would be to ditch the indicative trails on the maps to help manage expectations and offer some community involvement in the trail design process.

kegz

Cannon Fodder
Yes it does do both. My preference would be to ditch the indicative trails on the maps to help manage expectations and offer some community involvement in the trail design process.
Flags - what is it about the 'preliminary map' don't you agree with? It looks pretty straightforward, and similar to what was there before (and is being uncovered now). Easier trails on the flatter ground, with increasing difficulty as you get into the steeper parts of the pines. Sure it's probably not a solid plan for works, but I would suggest it's on the right track.

I can't see why you would need to 'ditch the indicative trails' and start from scratch.