Making flat country more...interesting

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The Mountainless Mountain Bike Club has been underway for a decade or so now. We have our MTB park set up and going thanks to the Coomealla Club at Dareton in far south west NSW.

Until recently we have relied on the vagaries of our naturally flat terrain to supplement the pedal fest that is our track...trees, gullies, sand traps...more trees. Now we've begun to build stuff thanks to club grants and many volunteers. The aim of the game is to improve the technical skills of our riders so they can enjoy the more technical trails of the hill folk.

Today, I managed to install something that has been talked about for years but we've not got around to...

The aim of the game is not to fly so much as work your way over since the track leading up to this is basically...flat. I could have made people fly but that would've broken into the old track and possibly killed someone on the B line. Besides there's a couple of other places to do that...

D/\M0

Likes Bikes
Looks good.
And to think I whinge about the hills. Flat country would be a whole other ball game :twitch:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I like the club name ... Good work on getting grant dollars.

any video of the trails to give some feel?
google map links?

Hew

Likes Dirt
Ah... Good stuff. So much land out there to play with, shame its pretty much all as flat as this.

Definitely hardtail country. I don't miss the thorns out west. Definitely not a track you could ride without a spare!

silentbutdeadly

Ah... Good stuff. So much land out there to play with, shame its pretty much all as flat as this.

Definitely hardtail country. I don't miss the thorns out west. Definitely not a track you could ride without a spare!
I do quite often. But then I run tubeless and it is rarely an issue...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nice, looking forward to several laps. Keep the tech features happening !

2011 & 2012 3hr I rode a singlespeed around there with 32:16, 2013 a fatbike... but gone soft, it will be FS this year maybe.

silentbutdeadly

Nice, looking forward to several laps. Keep the tech features happening !

2011 & 2012 3hr I rode a singlespeed around there with 32:16, 2013 a fatbike... but gone soft, it will be FS this year maybe.
That decision will help with the new Playpen. Which has an up slope rock garden...amongst other things. We have also made the fall off the Goat Track slightly more hectic than you might remember...

Looking to do more off the racing line because we have a membership stacked full of juniors and beginners...and we want to keep it that way. Let them chose whether to be intimidated or not when they ride.

That said we are working to berm more corners and provide more interest wherever possible and we are very very open to ideas from all riders, local or otherwise.

Open invite to all...come and ride and tell us what you think.

Coomealla-Mildura Mountainless Bike Club Park

https://goo.gl/maps/kMAFeeSeutr

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

A new trail map!

Thanks to the generosity of one of our members we now have a draft trail map of our Mountainless Mountain Bike Park. The intention is that it will be available for download from our website (in jpg and pdf formats) along with some gpx traces.

We'd appreciate any feedback on the map and if it has the info one might need or expect from a trail centre map. The only thing that I see missing is the trail classification. However, most of the network is green with a smattering of blue...and the odd black feature. So I'm not sure that the classification will help...

Attachments

silentbutdeadly

Nice work. makes the golf course seem small by comparison. :thumb:
Ta...we made a half arsed attempt for giggles to incorporate a part of the golf course into the network a few years back. We got polite word back from the parent club of both our club and the golf club that we should stay 'in the scrub' :peace:

notime

Likes Dirt
Out at Bathurst bike park they also have a section called Learning to fly. On it is the feature in the pic attached, if you have a flat but fast section its top fun trying to maintain speed through it. The up side you can't see are varying heights but at least 30mm exposed. Guess it would be called a timber or sleeper garden perhaps?

Biz is nailing it in the pic from last Saturday.

Attachments

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Oooh...I'm going to have to go to school on that feature!
Got a spot for it too...

Our 'Learning To Fly' is basically a 3 metre deep steep sided gully at the end of a long flat run. If you get it right to remain airborne for quite some time...if you don't get it right then the landing will be ugly.

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

silentbutdeadly