Making the switch - help me pick a 29er

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm turning 40 this year so I think it is time to call it a day on the downhill/freeride life style, it's just too risky with injuries and so on with little glory in return at this age. Plus I think I need to give my fitness a boost!

So looking for a bike that is something like this:
- good for lots of kilometres, up and down.
- Comfortable cockpit
- 120-140mm travel, any more would be over kill
- fast acceleration
- Good cornering
- must be light weight (!!!)

I'm open to 27.5 and 27.5+ as well, but you'll need to convince they are as good for xc/trail as a 29er.

Budget is around $6-7000.

Current bikes will be listed for sale in coming days.

Thanks on advance.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've landed in the sweet spot of 29" bikes.
There's so many to choose from.
It really depends on what you want from it and where you plan to ride it.
The geo is as I'm sure you're aware every bit of not more important than the travel #'s

Intense Primer
Intense sniper trail
Scott Spark
Yeti 5.5
Trek Fuel Ex
Norco Sight
Ibis Ripmo just launched and setting the interwebs ablaze
SC Tallboy
SC Hightower
Rocky Mountain Instinct
Banshee Prime
Guerilla Gravity also do one called the Smash IIRC (might want to check that)

I think you'd need to decide on what you want out of the Geo / Fit / purpose.

I just went through this and because I wanted a certain set of boxes ticked I picked the Banshee Prime. Could have gone Norco Sight or Intense Primer though...

Have fun choosing!

safreek

Your getting old when you start to think of injuries, yes I would suggest a 29r, grandma.
But seriously, start to lift weights to provide some bouncing material, not the fat kind though, even light weights will increase your wellbeing, a good body is a good mind 9 times out of 10.
Off track but wise words from an old grandpa

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've owned a few of the "hot" 29ers over the last few years. Evil Following, Canfield Riot and now on the Intense Primer. I didn't get along very well with the Evil, way too slack in the seat angle meant every time the trail pointed up you had to fight to keep the front end on the ground. The Riot was the first bike I'd tried with a steep seat tube angle and it took a bike that looked like it was designed to smash the downs (66hta etc) climb like a goat. The Primer came along at a good price and the Geo was along the lines of the Riot, featuring a steep STA and a little less slack in the front but saving a ton of frame weight.

There's not much out there at the moment that's really got me pinning for a new steed, other than something even shorter in travel and lighter (what's happening to me?). I'm thinking my next bike will be along the lines of the new Santa Cruz Blur, Intense Sniper or maybe the new Yeti XC bike when the details are announced at the end of the month. Gives me an excuse to go out and buy a long travel bike because the Primer just does everything well enough to be a good all rounder lol.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Intense spider 275c meets all your criteria. Extra short chainstays make it great for tight twisty Singletrack and a progressive suspension tune make it poppy and also efficient to pedal (at the expense of some plushness).

John U

MTB Precision
I did a solo 24hr on a Trek Fuel Ex 29 9.8 in 2015. Was the 2 * 10 2015 model. Great bike and still a fun ride. Only thing I changed on it was grips and seat. It carried me through the race with out any woes.
I think it ticks quite a few of your boxes. Worth checking out. Comfortable on the ups, fun on the downs.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a solo 24hr on a Trek Fuel Ex 29 9.8 in 2015. Was the 2 * 10 2015 model. Great bike and still a fun ride. Only thing I changed on it was grips and seat. It carried me through the race with out any woes.
I think it ticks quite a few of your boxes. Worth checking out. Comfortable on the ups, fun on the downs.
I had the 2015 MY too and loved it. Put 140mm forks on and it was superb everywhere.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wow! You guys have thrown up a solid list. I like the look of those Intense, Norco, and Banshee. Does anyone have specific experience with them?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'm turning 40 this year
Fuck, you're an old dog! Make sure it has esoteric hubs and some obscure press-fit bb, the experience wouldn't be the same otherwise.

EDIT:
Could get a Carbon Anthem, by the time you've got through the warranty process you'll have forgotten how to jump anyway.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Poodle, your license for those balls has been revoked. Please hand in at your local Giant or Specialized dealer.

If you're a real mountain biker, you'd own a bike in every category. Don't be scared of 29".

Anyway, two hours of XC endurance translates to 8hrs of endurance in the bedroom.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Only just looked at the thread now, but I didn't believe it for a millisecond.

And 40 is still a pup...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
With a title like that it had to be an April special.

Still time for a Hightower LT though. It has to be done.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk