MALF Newbie

AaronM

Likes Dirt
As per my “confessions” post. I have now learnt how to use a Presta valve.

Fucking silly that I can literally build cars, make wiring looms, tweak ECU settings etc and couldn’t inflate a fucking tyre.

Still happy with my $33.xx Lezyne retro styled floor pump.

If I start getting more riding time again I’ll be having to get into a tyre choice learning curve next.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Honestly one of the best confession in that thread ever.

As has already been said, youtube is your friend!

_______

Is an alien from 2007
If you are decent with car mechanics, just jump onto Youtube to watch how a particular task is done, such as fitting your new fork, then get on with it. Worked for me. And you will find the vast majority of shop mechanics are self taught, I don't think I've met anyone who has done the TAFE course.
^This. Having learned my "professional" bike mechanicing in the UK (where Cytek training/accreditation is a) useful and b) usually necessary for employment) I discovered how well my youth spent working on my own bikes (because povvo) had set me up for doing it as a job (i.e. just adding a workshop full of the right tools and more experienced mentors with product specific knowledge to the basic skills that were already there).

Coming back here and noticing that a lot of LBS mechanics have their comfort zones dictated by what's on the shop floor and some are really just glorified bike builders (and really, not surprising given the wages on offer/job volumes) I realised that experience taught me a very different attitude to what still lingers in some of the workshops round here ("no, I won't look up the tech doc, I'll just have a crack and she'll be right"). The difference is giving enough of a shit to find out and knowing where to find out from*.

Learning how to do it yourself will stand you in good stead if you and the missus get seriously into riding. Even if for some jobs you do still need the LBS, you can better judge if they're competent when you really just need their tools and muscle memory but already have a good idea what needs doing.

*like https://si.shimano.com/#/ at a bloody minimum guys...

[caveat] don't kill me, I know there are plenty of good mechanics around here too (in fact back in the naughties Farkin.net was teeming with the sort of mechanics who were always ringing each other to figure out tricky customer problems etc. and well into getting the job done right) and I've worked with plenty. I also auditioned more than a few bmx bandits who got through the phone interview with head office and I know some of them got jobs elsewhere in Sydney... I don't think I've ever met anyone who did the TAFE course either...

T-Rex

Template denier
As per my “confessions” post. I have now learnt how to use a Presta valve.
Don't feel too bad about that, I had the same issue with my second bottle of wine on Saturday night, couldn't figure out why the wine wouldn't come out into my glass when I tilted the bottle.

Speaking of which, (and it's a bit late now) I should have suggested you came up to Thredbo for a day trip to check out Cannonball this past weekend. 1000 riders doing gravity events over four days. I was wrenching for the Commencal team, you could have sat in, you would have got a high intensity crash course in all aspects of bicycle repair. I did not sit down from 8am Saturday until about lunch time Sunday.

Next big one at Thredbo is the super enduro 22-23 Feb next year, should be a similar level of mechanical carnage, Junior went through two rear wheels in one morning at this year's event. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
^This. Having learned my "professional" bike mechanicing in the UK (where Cytek training/accreditation is a) useful and b) usually necessary for employment) I discovered how well my youth spent working on my own bikes (because povvo) had set me up for doing it as a job (i.e. just adding a workshop full of the right tools and more experienced mentors with product specific knowledge to the basic skills that were already there).

Coming back here and noticing that a lot of LBS mechanics have their comfort zones dictated by what's on the shop floor and some are really just glorified bike builders (and really, not surprising given the wages on offer/job volumes) I realised that experience taught me a very different attitude to what still lingers in some of the workshops round here ("no, I won't look up the tech doc, I'll just have a crack and she'll be right"). The difference is giving enough of a shit to find out and knowing where to find out from*.

Learning how to do it yourself will stand you in good stead if you and the missus get seriously into riding. Even if for some jobs you do still need the LBS, you can better judge if they're competent when you really just need their tools and muscle memory but already have a good idea what needs doing.

*like https://si.shimano.com/#/ at a bloody minimum guys...

[caveat] don't kill me, I know there are plenty of good mechanics around here too (in fact back in the naughties Farkin.net was teeming with the sort of mechanics who were always ringing each other to figure out tricky customer problems etc. and well into getting the job done right) and I've worked with plenty. I also auditioned more than a few bmx bandits who got through the phone interview with head office and I know some of them got jobs elsewhere in Sydney... I don't think I've ever met anyone who did the TAFE course either...
100% this. I too learnt on my own bikes, coz povvo, and my dad had NFI.

But, flip side is I now live rural, and with only two equally useless shops within 200km, I would be 100% fucked if I didn't have the knowledge.

Learn the things, it will do you good!

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Today this arrived from BikeBug with my TL-LR11...

So I grabbed my new rear MT-500 wheel, my other Lockring socket and married the two together.

I really like having the exact correct tools for little things now (like putting that wheel together) and for maintenance.

All I need now is to swap the tyre off - or realistically buy a new tyre :).

After the 30 secs that took I jumped onto the bike and ate bugs for a 35 minute ride in the dusk. 7 Strava PRs - apparently I ride well on a forced diet of protein.

Might have to think about another order this week so I can have everything for my fork swap over Christmas. Also might just buy the bits to redo and bleed the brake hose fitting in my wife’s bike. We either get the LBS to sort it, or I sort it and do the obvious spanner check etc.

Tyre for a 50/50 split of tarmac bike paths and gravel/hardpack. Off I go to pollute another thread.

Last edited:

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Yeah I’m in. But let’s not totally hijack @AaronM 's thread!
Yeah but if you don’t hijack it I’m going to have to start;
A) Cocking more stuff up to keep the punters coming back
B) Attempt to disguise my lack of MTB knowledge by engaging in French car chat with @Haakon
C) Create a “Useless Wife” so I can appear to be a bit of a knob by cajoling her into near death experiences on bikes I’ve assembled from Likes and Shares

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
B) Attempt to disguise my lack of MTB knowledge by engaging in French car chat with @Haakon
C) Create a “Useless Wife” so I can appear to be a bit of a knob by cajoling her into near death experiences on bikes I’ve assembled from Likes and Shares
I’d rather chat LS conversions for your MX5 :)

AaronM

Likes Dirt
I’d rather chat LS conversions for your MX5 :)
I don’t know why anyone would dirty up a MX5 engine bay with a GM product ;)

Not that I’d object to 50hp more go falling into it. Which does remind me I should put the new headers on it one day. If it wasn’t as mint as it is I’d do the KL or AJ v6 swap. Both make a nice sound and can be done legally here...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Not that I’d object to 50hp more go falling into it. Which does remind me I should put the new headers on it one day. If it wasn’t as mint as it is I’d do the KL or AJ v6 swap. Both make a nice sound and can be done legally here...
I'll overlook the French car comment, if you tell me how old this MX5 is......

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You'll fit in around here just fine! ;)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Because it makes glorious sounds and goes like stink. And it’s only a Mazda anyway ;)

If you want to keep it Mazda, 20B is the obvious solution.

AaronM

Likes Dirt
I'll overlook the French car comment, if you tell me how old this MX5 is......
April 2001 build. Barely 90,000km, motor never been opened. Does maybe 500km a year as my wife’s health gets worse and she tends to not drive it except on unicorn weather and health days. (We bought it as the “get your dream car because you’ve been given xxx time to live” and 15 years later I still have the car and the wife)...