Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That’s similar to what I was thinking, insulate the outside of the roof with something lightweight or grow a fast moving vining plant over the top.
There is an utter bastard of a honeysuckle next door that borgs anything it grows over.
I've hit it with nasty stuff now but considering a flamethrower if it still grows. I can snip off some a post to you if you are keen. This thing will grow fast and into every nook it can find.

A friend of mine has solar panels recently installed and mentioned the same temperature decrease due to the big arsed panels.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put some white ceramic paint on mine, took 5deg off in summer, down to low 40s! Ha. Was going to do a diy crossflow ventilation, from down low on the cool and damp vegetative side, to across and up to the top of the rearward panel. There was some limited research that supported it but I'm a dumbass and couldn't figure out how to size it. Past experiments with moving air I found it a lot harder to move (passively) than I had thought.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
After a long wait next week I finally take occupation of my new house. In 7 days the lease is up and this tenant can't fuck off fast enough! The best news is that this new place has a single lock up garage with internal access, and I don't have a car. A nice change from my last place of 3 bedrooms and no functional garage. So instead of having my shit spread across a bedroom and a sun room I am going to set up the shed nicely before I move in. All my shit is currently in a storage shed until mid-April. What tips do you guys have for me? I currently have:
- A shitty home made bike rack that does an excellent job at holding 5 bikes.
- A good work bench
- Ample tool storage and tools
- excellent bike stand
- Shop style rod holders for my fishing gear
- A few rack shelves from bunnings
- bag for my snow gear
- Very comfy lounge.

The neighbourhood is a significant step up to my last ghetto (very gentrified) and mostly older folks. I don't drink beer so won't need a beer fridge.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Damn, I was going to say 'Beer Fridge' until I read the last line.

I think get all of your stuff in first and see how it goes. If what you have has done all you need up till now then expand only if you really need it. Sounds like you have most of this stuff covered already. Maybe some coffee machinery?

JukeBoxes, Pool tables and obligatory neon signs seem to show up on those Ultimate Man Cave TV shows but you aren't planning on living in a shed anyhow.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
You still need a man cave fridge/freezer to store the man juice stash and freeze headsets.

Personally I'd find it hard to fit a lounge in a 1 car garage, we'll need to see pics!

Oh and you'll need some centerfolders here and there.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Man juice doesn't sound like anything I'd need to store let alone have it in a fridge.

I'm actually scared to ask more :eek:

scblack

Leucocholic
First thing:
Bunnings is your friend. Get a racking system made up as a bike rack. There is a couple of threads showing how these are made, its about $200 cost for vertical storage up to 7 bikes. They also have plenty of options for shelving in a garage, I have a few in there.

I have in my garage:
  • Vertical rack for 6 bikes.
  • 1 Large racking shelving, 3 smaller ones.
  • Denon amplifier, 5 speaker system.
  • PlayStation 3.
  • Plasma TV.
  • 3 fridges - one for beer keg drinking, one for fermenter brewing, one second for home/kitchen use.
  • Clothes dryer.
  • Double garage but now only fits one of my cars.
  • Bunnings also have brackets I have up on the wall to make shelving up high for storage.
  • A makeshift clothesline.
Garage 1.jpg

Garage 2.jpg

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
How do we post pics on Rotorburn these days - forgive my dunce-ness here. Do we have to link a Instagram or something for pics?
There's a button for that, bottom centre of my uploaded picture, I'm using a browser not tapacrap

IMG_20180314_160658.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@scblack I was thinking of going vertical with the bike storage. Your set up is nice and compact and should buy me a few extra m2 of floor space. I've got a few friends that are handy with the welding gear so might have a chat about a custom job. I'm too environmentally friendly to use a drier but if I crack there is a laundry for that.

@stirk I'll get it in there. Big things in small spaces is my specialty.

@pink poodle - will there be room for your butter churn?
I like to churn my butter in the bedroom.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My bike storage area can house 12 bikes comfortably. Home made rack consisting of two panels of pool fence, a steel frame and some queen sized bed slats. Total cost: a bit of mig wire, and some screws to hold the slats on. The steel, fence and slats were all council clean-up finds.

The workshop bit is a kitchen cupboard/bench setup at the back of one side of the garage that is in need of a good clean and tidy, so no pics of that yet.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Does anyone ever have a clear work bench? I think mine was clear for about 10 minutes when I first put it together...that bike rack is impressive!

I'm looking for some insights for the fine tune, some finishing touches and things I need to do before loading my junk in. I've seen before some talk of sealing the floor? What is the vibe on rubber mats under the work bench?

The big one...does anyone have any advice on putting a shower in the laundry? House is slab construction. Given my proximity to the water I wouldn't mind being able to wash it all off downstairs rather than trudging through the house.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
My bike storage area can house 12 bikes comfortably. Home made rack consisting of two panels of pool fence, a steel frame and some queen sized bed slats. Total cost: a bit of mig wire, and some screws to hold the slats on. The steel, fence and slats were all council clean-up finds.

The workshop bit is a kitchen cupboard/bench setup at the back of one side of the garage that is in need of a good clean and tidy, so no pics of that yet.
Looks great. Reminds me of a Big W display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Does anyone ever have a clear work bench? I think mine was clear for about 10 minutes when I first put it together...that bike rack is impressive!

I'm looking for some insights for the fine tune, some finishing touches and things I need to do before loading my junk in. I've seen before some talk of sealing the floor? What is the vibe on rubber mats under the work bench?

The big one...does anyone have any advice on putting a shower in the laundry? House is slab construction. Given my proximity to the water I wouldn't mind being able to wash it all off downstairs rather than trudging through the house.
Does the laundry have a drain in the middle of the floor? If so, job kinda half done, dig a channel to that location from the shower waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic

As you can see I don't have a work bench, I think its wasted space, and use two different folding tables as bench space, when required. Note that I only have about two power tools (being a beancounter) so needing a dedicated bench is too much for my needs.

Sealing the floor? Meh its a garage, I think that's going overboard, but it can be an awesome space if you do it. Mines just concrete (and I even vacuum it very occasionally). I have a rubber motor mechanics floor mat about 2m*3m, which I roll out when working on stuff.

What else to suggest?
  • Power points - If you can, have heaps of power points, they just help heaps.
  • Hooks - Hooks are great for hanging/storing stuff. If you see my ladders, they hang on a double ended big hook thing bolted to the wall. I use heaps of s-shaped hooks to hang bags and stuff.
I love my garage space.:)