Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

MasterOfReality

After forever
The land where I want to put this shed falls outside my approved building envelope according to council.

Have given up on hoist idea as it will result in a shed higher than the house and will look silly. Have increased shed size to 8 m wide x 12 m long so can fit 2 cars in tandem, a box trailer, storage racks, bikes and leave a quadrant as a work space.

Contacted a town planner this morning for an appointment.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've finally got around to finishing up my work space with an epoxy floor coating and a set of shelves up the back corner. The final thing I'm planning is a spring balanced telescoping roof mounted work stand. Once that's done it will be complete. When I look in a ray of light shines down whilst angels sing. Love the space. My bikes are in racks in another garage that I rent from an old duck that lives in the block. Above the lights is a mezzanine with loads of other toys.

The parts and bike lube shelves.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I've finally got around to finishing up my work space with an epoxy floor coating and a set of shelves up the back corner. The final thing I'm planning is a spring balanced telescoping roof mounted work stand. Once that's done it will be complete. When I look in a ray of light shines down whilst angels sing. Love the space. My bikes are in racks in another garage that I rent from an old duck that lives in the block. Above the lights is a mezzanine with loads of other toys.

The parts and bike lube shelves.
I can't see your WD40 on those shelves..?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great EePeGe

Who’s epoxy did you use on the ground?
Rustoleum Rocksolid. It looks really good but even though I prepped it really well and follow their instructions I had to do 2 coats to get the best finish. At $170 a coat that hurt. I also didn’t use the decorative chips in it as I wanted to be able to find screws etc that I’ve dropped without having to scan through a universe of multicoloured flecks.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I really dislike jack stands which I currently use. I think there are other options that gets the wheels off the ground that I'll need to look in to.

Pit could be an idea, will be a bastard to excavate though - I live on a ridge, very little topsoil/tertiary cover before you hit 25 - 50 MPa rock. Neighbour tried to dig a trench for his shed electrical and gave up within 10 minutes. Came back with a jack hammer and was there for days. He probably grabbed the smallest cheapest one he could get.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Going to build a shed for bike stuff. 10m2 is the limit before triggering council approvals. Thinking 2.5m x 4m. Anyone got thoughts on a better set of dimensions with the area limit?

I have always said bikes should be in the house, therefor bike shed will be built like a house to match the real house.

slowmick

38-39"
Going to build a shed for bike stuff. 10m2 is the limit before triggering council approvals. Thinking 2.5m x 4m. Anyone got thoughts on a better set of dimensions with the area limit?

I have always said bikes should be in the house, therefor bike shed will be built like a house to match the real house.
Have a think about the materials you want to use and check out the standard sizes.
Might be better to go 2.4 x 4.2 or 2.8 x 3.6 (yes. both slightly over 10m²).

EDIT: actually think about your roof area - if your council actually care they will check your property by aerial photo. unlikely but possible.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My garage space is a bit of a shit fight with a bunch of stuff in there I don't want to store but have to :(

But I got one of these, went from two small toolboxes and random placement on shelves to completely organised. It has indents in the top mat to hold nuts, bolts, and beers! Highly recommend. Also discovered when sorting the tools I have a whole lot of imperial spanners I inherited to get rid of. eBay time.