Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

MARKL

Eats Squid
I will be buying a new house in the next few months and have been giving thought to the obvious priorities...the man cave. One of the things I have been checking out for ideas (and may be captain obvious again) is bike shops with good workshops and how they have them laid out. Often they don't have a heap of space but have it laid out really efficiently and they do it all day every day.

shakes

Likes Dirt
Someone say lack of space?

I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my partner and kid.

Somehow we ended up with a single car garage.. (by single car I mean it JUST fit's in the family camry shitbox in it with enough room on one side to squeeze out of the car)

In that shed I keep my Suzuki Sierra, which I admit was purchased because of it's size and now I have a kid my manliness doesnt need to be proved. Plus the fact they are super fun offroad..

I scored the BEST thing ever off my uncle, a 3 level stainless stand very similar to what they wheel the food delivery's around in hospitals on. in that stand is a small toolbox with about 7 drawers that stores all my hand tools. A few carryalls with various bits and bobs, my socket and spanner sets. On the bottom shelf is a transfercase, and car service stuff, stands, jacks oils etc. And the top shelf is used for a work bench. This roll's in and out easily, and makes HEAPS of clear space.

I also keep 4 bikes. and A whole spate of power tools. welder, grinder, drills, jigsaw etc. A stereo. and Another shelf with all my camping and 4x4 gear. and a bench with a vice and enough space to spread out if I'm doing a big project. (rebuilding a diff, redoing the loom, full bike build)

So my tips...

- Expect to re-arrange 16 times before it feels right.
- Milk crates make fantastic cheap stackable shelves, a slot of cardboard down the side with a hole if you cant find any good ones.
- Expect to re-arrange again
- Cleanliness is key
- Apply the 3 year rule... If you havent used it in the last 3 years, sell it or throw it (unless its a tool or random nuts and bolts)
- baby formula tins (painted of course) The big clear plastic tubs that you buy packaged fruit in make great containers for storing spares of any sort in. As does those frustrating odd tupaware containers that your missus wont let you throw out but don't match any other lid in the draw.

binner

Hath shat hymself
my haven

6 X 3 shed located out the back corner of my house. Away from the missus and it's my desert island. Lighting is key and a stool is very necessary.

I can't go without the fridge for the homebrews and its easy reach when working on bikes or nitro buggy's... ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Put a mat of astroturf on the floor. It's about $38 per m at Bunnings from memory. Nicer to stand on, or drop crews and stuff on, they don't tend to bounce off and roll away so quick. Not bad to kneel down on.

Get a big bright light if you don't have one.

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty lucky to have a decent size man cave.
My must haves are a good bench, shelving, stereo, fridge, nintendo 64 and boobs calender

Exie

Likes Dirt
Someone say lack of space?

I live in a 2 bedroom flat with my partner and kid.
Dont remind me, I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment by myself, one room for me, one for the bike. Life was simpler back then. :)

So my tips...
- Expect to re-arrange 16 times before it feels right.
- Milk crates make fantastic cheap stackable shelves, a slot of cardboard down the side with a hole if you cant find any good ones.
- Expect to re-arrange again
- Cleanliness is key
- Apply the 3 year rule... If you havent used it in the last 3 years, sell it or throw it (unless its a tool or random nuts and bolts)
- baby formula tins (painted of course) The big clear plastic tubs that you buy packaged fruit in make great containers for storing spares of any sort in. As does those frustrating odd tupaware containers that your missus wont let you throw out but don't match any other lid in the draw.
Hmm... wont be any kids around here, so no formula tins. I'm up with the cleanliness, and like the idea of a movable trolley (automotive style double decker tool chest). This might have to go on my christmas list though.

I was sitting out there tonight when I started to think about security, theres some basics, like a couple of big deadlocks on the door. No windows/skylight in my cave so that helps.

But thinking about it, I'm wondering if a remote PIR sensor for our alarm is worth consideration ? or perhaps a motion camera from the eve of the house (2 story) to watch the area ? or maybe more simple things like padlock on the bike stand to stop them getting it out ? <shrug>

Of course, I realise that if someone _really_ wants to burgle it, there's no stopping them. This is where the insurance comes in, but trying not to get off topic, any other thoughts on practical deterrents ?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Dont remind me, I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment by myself, one room for me, one for the bike. Life was simpler back then. :)

Hmm... wont be any kids around here, so no formula tins. I'm up with the cleanliness, and like the idea of a movable trolley (automotive style double decker tool chest). This might have to go on my christmas list though.

I was sitting out there tonight when I started to think about security, theres some basics, like a couple of big deadlocks on the door. No windows/skylight in my cave so that helps.

But thinking about it, I'm wondering if a remote PIR sensor for our alarm is worth consideration ? or perhaps a motion camera from the eve of the house (2 story) to watch the area ? or maybe more simple things like padlock on the bike stand to stop them getting it out ? <shrug>

Of course, I realise that if someone _really_ wants to burgle it, there's no stopping them. This is where the insurance comes in, but trying not to get off topic, any other thoughts on practical deterrents ?
If you want a remote controlled wall mounted infra-red sensor alarm let me know. I got given one and won't use it. Still in box. Yours free. Consider it an offering to the man cave.
It may also reduce the premium on your insurance. And at 150db of screeching siren I reckon those burglars would get the shock of their lives and do the dash. It's friggin loud.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
If you want a remote controlled wall mounted infra-red sensor alarm let me know. I got given one and won't use it. Still in box. Yours free. Consider it an offering to the man cave.
It may also reduce the premium on your insurance. And at 150db of screeching siren I reckon those burglars would get the shock of their lives and do the dash. It's friggin loud.
If Exie doesn't want the alarm I'll take it off your hands; got a detached garage with limited scope for locks, and an alarm would sure give me some peace of mind. Won't post pics yet as it's very unfinished, but will get in completed in about a month...

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Two of the best things in my bike cave is the couch and bean bag.

Sometimes its nice to just sit back comfortably and think about which bike to work on next. :cool:

Exie

Likes Dirt

Sometimes its nice to just sit back comfortably and think about which bike to work on next. :cool:
I dont mind the old bean bag myself, but dont think it will work in the space I have. I'll leave that in the lounge room, I find as soon as I put on an MTB DVD I get left alone pretty quickly.

Lorday

Eats Squid

I have a good oldish camping chair, it's so worn in its great (like a brooks saddle). I seriously love the thing, I can just sit on it and think. *best*

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blank canvas.
Piss that POS car off and build an indoor pumptrack. You'd have rocks in your head not to! You could have a mad garage setup in the corner you've started filling and have dirt everywhere else. Plus it will be cheaper than building a bogan-mobile :p

takai

Eats Squid
Not quite a bike shed, but more of a man space, oh and for the other toys:

Lathe and workshop area out the back behind the Toyota sign. Bikes have their own spot in the front garage, although i commonly machine bits up for them out the back too.

fleebag

Likes Bikes
Not quite a bike shed, but more of a man space, oh and for the other toys:

Lathe and workshop area out the back behind the Toyota sign. Bikes have their own spot in the front garage, although i commonly machine bits up for them out the back too.
Keep left sign and a Canadian flag, having problems remembering which side to drive?

Actually i am just jealous......

takai

Eats Squid
Keep left sign and a Canadian flag, having problems remembering which side to drive?

Actually i am just jealous......
Haha, there is normally an Australian flag next to the Canadian one. But i took it down to wave it at an event at the time ;)

Keep left sign was run over near my house, caused a puncture on the mrs car, i figured screwing it to the wall was a good punishment.