Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Good solution, if the rim can handle your fat arse thundering down the trails I'm sure it'll be fine hanging from a hook!

I spy a bottle tree, are you not kegging yet?
Yes but the forces of riding a bike are opposite to the forces pulling outwards from a single focused point on the rim.

I have 5 kegs and 2 bottle trees.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Oh, you misunderstand.

I care enough to wring my hands and complain on the internet but that should not be misconstrued indicating that I'd actually take any kind of reasonable or even the most minimal action to follow up on my fears.

I mean, lol! What century are we living in here?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Missing a few essential items like beer fridge filled with beer, couch... But it's a nice place to chill after a big ride
That's a nice shed and an even nicer Shan. Crashed mine today took off a bunch of skin but damn if that paint isn't good quality.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@johnny what if you devised a complicated sling using a looped end to the chain with 2 hooks or clips connected to each other by a length of soft leather or old tube? One hook/clip connects to the chain's loop and the other passes through the stays and rear wheel of your bike, then also connects to the loop. If this can help distract you from inspection g the current system. I'd be happy to draw up some blue prints on a napkin?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Calling @stirk how's that maxim tool cabinet going? I'm looking at replacing my treated pine bench with two of the 27in side by side or a solo 42in box, with a bench top on either. I'm not a fan of the deep top drawer on the 42 however, and either setup could take a side cabinet later if I want more space. Thoughts?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Calling @stirk how's that maxim tool cabinet going? I'm looking at replacing my treated pine bench with two of the 27in side by side or a solo 42in box, with a bench top on either. I'm not a fan of the deep top drawer on the 42 however, and either setup could take a side cabinet later if I want more space. Thoughts?
I have the 60" with a 32mm MDF top and it is a thing of beauty. Had it for at least 6 years now, during that time I have moved house twice in that time and putting it on the tailgate lifter was the most stressful part of both moves - it is funny watching the truck drop down during the initial part of the lift. I really like the deep top draw as that is where I keep my bike tools.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks good, much simpler than pulleys.

Don’t worry about the rims, they will be just fine.

So many people hang bikes vertically off the front with a hook and they live just fine
With some decent padding on the hook it won't mark or stress anything. A hook for each wheel mounted directly to the beams would get them up and out of the way a bit more but means hanging them upside down

stirk

Burner
The maxim boxes are a beast, extremely solid and I'd recommend to anyone. It'll still be going strong in 500 years.

I don't like your idea of a bench top on the box. How would you secure a bench on a tool box?

Check out the cheap bench I made that is really awesome, you can work on the tool box and also a separate bench, having both is great and being able to move the tool box about makes for a good solution in a small space.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've only got 1800 to work with, so what goes in will stay within that general space and ~900 is max comfortable working height for me, the boxes alone currently exceed that so I don't want to build above them unless I remove the castors. I've got some old cabinets I'll throw up too.

Your bench suggestion is good, but Im hurt by your other bench comments as I think it would be easy, in short using gravity the same way they do them as accessories except mine would be two layers, infill for top of the box then full length bench across in a decent depth. Two boxes side by side only leaves 440 left in the centre, which the bench alone could handle, or enough to put their side cabinet on later.

I'd love the 60in but realistically at $1.5k it would be more valuable than the contents inside, my tools are pretty crummy. And I have no way to move it from their depot (250kg arriving on a pallet from memory). I just want somewhere to put all my shiz as well as misc small bike parts that are presently everywhere.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I've only got 1800 to work with, so what goes in will stay within that general space and ~900 is max comfortable working height for me, the boxes alone currently exceed that so I don't want to build above them unless I remove the castors. I've got some old cabinets I'll throw up too.

Your bench suggestion is good, but Im hurt by your other bench comments as I think it would be easy, in short using gravity the same way they do them as accessories except mine would be two layers, infill for top of the box then full length bench across in a decent depth. Two boxes side by side only leaves 440 left in the centre, which the bench alone could handle, or enough to put their side cabinet on later.

I'd love the 60in but realistically at $1.5k it would be more valuable than the contents inside, my tools are pretty crummy. And I have no way to move it from their depot (250kg arriving on a pallet from memory). I just want somewhere to put all my shiz as well as misc small bike parts that are presently everywhere.
Go the 60” you will get more tools now that you have somewhere to keep them

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A mate grabbed some Milwaukee cabinets when they were on sale late last year. Same issue with weight, each were 200+kg on pallets. We had them delivered to his garage and slid them out of the van and lowered one end onto the concrete. Three of use lowered the other end easily. Removed the strapping and spun the cabinets 90deg to the pallet so the ends overhung the sides of the pallet. Used a trolley jack to lift up one end and bolted the fixed castors on. Then went to the other end and did the same to fit the swivel castors. The pallet could now slide out. Jacked up the swivel end onto blocks and fitted the middle castors the lowered it to the ground. Once on castors they were easy to move so dont worry about delivery, easy to do.

safreek

This here is a man shed of monumental proportions. They were building it on a house site I was working on.
Apparently all the major supports and main woodwork were fitted together without bolts and the like, precision woodwork as such.
It was being built for the man of the house, was going to have all of his fishing shit in it.
It would of made a massive house but it's just his hobby shed, be cool to be that rich.
The green thing in the foreground is a 6 foot man, should give you an idea of the size of it.
Photo does no justice to it

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I love a good workshop picture. Mine sucks, it's a small single car garage with a laundry in it and two arsehole cats I hate. It's pretty much where perfectly good things go to die and get covered in white cat hair. Don't really have a good picture but it's a disgrace most of the time.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
asprin in the cat food should see to those two furry fuckers!..
heaps of room there to get creative, gotta get storage on the walls, the two motorbikes will make it tough though