NSW Manly Dam - new little jumps

stepan

Cannon Fodder
Just wanted to thank the BMX boys who built the little jumps (some 6 of them) on the flat section on Allambie side:

So, thank you! Really puts some fun into that previously boring section. :)

And if you gonna ride them first time, just note that one of the last jumps is now a gap jump.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's be honest: the jumps are pretty awful, and the way the kids have been sourcing dirt is creating a mess which will lead to their demise.

However, I'm super stoked there's a community of little dudes picking up shovels. They looked mad excited when I saw them out there one day.

Hopefully, in the process of flattening the jumps (which will obviously happen), they'll recognize that the "problem" isn't jumps getting built at Manly Dam. The problem is that there is a segment of the community that wants jumps, and no amount of jump-flattening will change that fact. So, time to do something constructive.

The new Warringah Open Space plan notes a proposal to build some jumps at the WAC. I'm skeptical having been meeting with council about legal jumps for a number of years.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
They should have built them without digging massive holes right beside them... Someone will put the dirt back into the holes because it could catch someone off...

Also doing things like putting a gap where you can't see it before you get there is a bit annoying too. They should build a pump/jump track along side the trail, then you can come into there with a choice!

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
I saw the kids building them - good on them for getting involved but very poorly built. They are small, steep and shallow which leads to that awkward bucking feeling.

I would love to see the official trail builders get in there and build something.

stepan

Cannon Fodder
Very good points in your comments, guys. Yet I still think that overall it's an improvement :).

DeBloot

Feeling old
It reminds me of the song 'from shit jumps, better jumps grow'

i know up here some of the kids build these jumps that sound similar
They dig a great hole in a bad spot using very sandy soil with nothing to stop the kicker and lander being flattened
Unless they find an old bit of ply or something else just as ugly
Recently they used the sandy soil in the gap as the entry and exit and right in the middle of the ride line

But it prompts the better builders to go in an fix it up with half the work already done

will2

Likes Dirt
HAHAHA
The BMX bandits. On Saturday they were there in the rain, standing around a huge puddle on the last jump. I jumped it and splashed them all.
Nah but its a bit of fun, horribly built. Nice big hole in the gap, lander of sticks and debris.