Manuals: What speed?

What speed do you find it easier to manual at?

• Medium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slow

• I've got bigger fish to fry than doin' manuals...

• Total voters

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Fast = >30 kph (like cookin' down hills)
Medium = 10 kph-30 kph (cruising along in the middle ring)
Slow = <10 kph (messin' around on the street, at the park/bowl, etc...)

Note: this is if you're already comfortable manualing (you can hold it for four or more seconds).

S.

ex offender
To learn em or do just pull em?

Learning you wanna be going a medium speed I reckon, too fast and you're likely to get injured, too slow and you'll find it really hard to balance.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon the best place to learn them is in a slight slope, oh, and you gotta learn to manual properly. Ie No breaks, shifting body weight to correct positions. Best place I know to practice is infact the castle hill carpark :p

curtisrider

Eats Squid
manuals

i find that going at a medium to fast speed is easiest to manual at
too slow and its too hard too balance
medium im not going fast enough
and going fast i agree with socket unless u have mastered them u r likely to get injured

S.

ex offender
jeebus

I tipped a paper-round bike over backwards at about 40km/h once... I was sitting on the racks on the back with my hands off the bars, and I decided to see if I could "lie down".... I forgot that I was well past the rear axle at that point, and so I slid down the road on my back.... luckily I was wearing a thick jumper which didn't seem to get pulled up too much, so I only got a few scrapes not a complete skinning.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
i think if you're learning, its actually better to get some reasonable speed (like 20kph)... just make sure you are confident that your rear brake will hold up. at reasonable speed you'll be able to feel the bike better and twitch less.

Ty

Eats Squid
high speed manuals with maguras plazmatics pads and short stays = death, your brakes are full on or full off, so you can't drag your brakes just a bit to lower the fornt and you end up smacking the front down. any speed is good if you have modualtion

stooge

Likes Dirt
i like it in nwd1 how he does that really really high speed manual, it says 75mph on the video, weather or not it is, it still looks awesomly fast on the video.

So far my fastest manual is at 52kph :shock: when we get the camera fixed il get it filmed from the rider beside me, i want to get about 60-70kph.

To learn a manual, learn how do wheelie, get that spot on and then try to coaster wheelie then just try the manual on a slight slope, the slower you go, the more u need to balance your side to side balance because of the lack of momentum. Try to limit the back brake use to only when you really need it, like when you need to save ur ass :D

Stooge
<Current wheelie/manual personal record =1.1km> 8)

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
my fastest coaster would be around 45-50kph.. my longest around 800meters.

those guys in nwd are simply insane, at no point do i entertain trying those speeds.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hahaha, I feel like a fool...

Longest attempted manual = 5 metres :roll:
Longest wheelie... 30 metres :oops:

:shock:

stooge

Likes Dirt
Hahaha, I feel like a fool...
Longest attempted manual = 5 metres
Longest wheelie... 30 metres
Dont worry man, once you get your P.3(if ya ever do :p ) we'll have to go out 4 a city ride in perth and il show you some good urban spots to practice ur manuals :D

Stooge

belly_up

Likes Dirt
wow you got the 30 meters for a wheelie! you're doing better than me :D i can get about 5m for a manual, and about the same for a wheelie, and the rear hope on the 222 is very bitey, which doesn't help. but the main problem is that i have no balance :(

fastrider gus

super huck
i used to be unreal at manuals.. my best was down a realy steep road about 500m or so.. i dunno how fast i was going but i overtook a car so it must have been good! since my rear brakes have given up i dont trust my Vees enough to commit to a fast manual..
ill get back into it again lata.