AM Marino 130

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't think of a catchy name, so have just been calling it the Marino 130. Ordered in August 2019 & finally built mid January, it was a long process of ordering/manufacturing/delivery/building, but i'm glad I did it. Couple small things I wish I changed - more travel (why I went 130mm i'm not actually sure), better bottle mounting options (can't fit one in the frame, even though there are mounts), & an additional -10mm BB drop. Everything else I am absolutely happy with, welds are good, built 100% to the spec I provided, with a few changes over the process.

Rides very aggressively, the harder you push it the more it gives back.. still climbs 'aight, if not a little slow in tight corners. Definitely held back by suspension travel & not geometry, i'm thinking I might take out the angleset and pull it back to 64deg HA.

Frame: Marino single pivot - 130mm travel, 62.5deg 64deg(?)HA (-1.5deg Works Headset), 77deg STA, 470mm reach, 440mm CS, -30mm BB drop
Fork: 2020 Pike Ultimate RC2 29", 150mm, 42 offset
Shock: DVO Topaz T3 Air, 200x57mm
Wheels: 29" DT Swiss XM1501 Spline One 30 (XM481 rims, 240 hubs)
Tyres: Front 29 x 2.5 Maxxis DHF EXO MaxTerra / Rear 29 x 2.5 Maxxis Aggressor EXO
Bars: Nukeproof Horizon Carbon - 780mm, 31.8
Stem: Nukeproof Horizon - 50mm, 31.8
Grips: Revgrips Pro
Saddle: WTB Volt Team
Post Clamp: Wolth Tooth
Front Brake: XT M8100, 180mm IceTech Rotor
Rear Brake: XT M8100, 180mm IceTech Rotor
Pedals: Nukeproof Horizon CS Trail, or OneUp Alu flats depending on mood/day
Cranks: XTR M9020
BB: XT BB-MT800 External threaded
Chainring: OneUp Oval, 30t
Chain: XTR 11sp HG-901
Shifter: XT M8000
Derailleur: XT M8000
Cassette: Garbaruk 11sp, 10-46t, XD driver
Weight: 14.3kg from memory, with an inaccurate eBay scale

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice looking bike, and I'd agree with you about removing the angleset as that seems Pinkbike Grim Donut slack.

Can you remove a spacer in the shock to make it 60mm travel and therefore more travel at the rear?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice looking bike, and I'd agree with you about removing the angleset as that seems Pinkbike Grim Donut slack.

Can you remove a spacer in the shock to make it 60mm travel and therefore more travel at the rear?
It's surprisingly less lazy on steering than I thought it would be. Seems to turn better than a mates Stumpy Evo I have ridden, and that supposedly had a 64deg HA. Maybe i'm just getting used to it.. dunno. Either way, headset is coming out next time I can be bothered doing it.

Good question on the shock.. had assumed it was only possible to change stroke from 57mm to 51mm by adding a spacer? Happy to be told otherwise and give it a crack if doable though?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I measured the headangle from the picture above before changing out the headset, and curiously it returns a result of 64deg rather than the 62.5 it should have been (going by the geo of the most recently provided drawing with a 150mm fork).

Getting used to it as-is now anyway so may leave it.. but would anyone have any comments on single pivot frames with coil shocks? Reckon a coil with progressive spring and 20% sag would work well enough, or it it likely to smash through the travel?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Take all volume spacers out of your Topaz and see if it blows through the travel. If it does then a coil may not be suitable.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So I measured the headangle from the picture above before changing out the headset, and curiously it returns a result of 64deg rather than the 62.5 it should have been (going by the geo of the most recently provided drawing with a 150mm fork).

Getting used to it as-is now anyway so may leave it.. but would anyone have any comments on single pivot frames with coil shocks? Reckon a coil with progressive spring and 20% sag would work well enough, or it it likely to smash through the travel?
I have a coil shocked Cotic Rocket which is single pivot (although linkage driven), and it is a machine of much supportive plushness and joy

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The shock setup on your Marino looks like it might have a falling rate design which is good at making an air shock feel more linear but might not be great for a coil shock.

The Cotic Rocket has a linkage to drive the shock which probably produces a rising rate at end of stroke to be more supportive.

I'd want to run some experiments before spending big $$$ on a coil. Either get one cheap or try to borrow one and see how you like it.