Marino Bike Co rigs.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Trying to get a full-susp ordered, sounds like you guys were living the dream with quick e-mail responses. Average response time seems to be 2-3 days for me at the moment.

Also noticed while trying to get the design sorted - their geometry charts are shown with the fork pre-sagged. Couldn't figure out why the numbers I'd requested weren't matching with their drawing, until I picked up on that and they confirmed they do the drawings with the fork already sagged (around 15mm in my case). Bit frustrating as it changes the static angles, which is what I was designing around (because that's what the vast majority of geometry charts show).

Still persisting with it, but I think it's going to take a while!

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trying to get a full-susp ordered, sounds like you guys were living the dream with quick e-mail responses. Average response time seems to be 2-3 days for me at the moment.

Also noticed while trying to get the design sorted - their geometry charts are shown with the fork pre-sagged. Couldn't figure out why the numbers I'd requested weren't matching with their drawing, until I picked up on that and they confirmed they do the drawings with the fork already sagged (around 15mm in my case). Bit frustrating as it changes the static angles, which is what I was designing around (because that's what the vast majority of geometry charts show).

I had better communication through Facebook Messenger.

Occasionally I wouldn't hear back for a day or two but generally was pretty prompt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Response rate for me is about the same, if not longer - I'd hazard a guess that they're just really damn busy with the increased attention/orders they've been getting. My front triangle has been mitered/welded up, but not sure there's any progress past that so far.

beeb

Response rate for me is about the same, if not longer - I'd hazard a guess that they're just really damn busy with the increased attention/orders they've been getting. My front triangle has been mitered/welded up, but not sure there's any progress past that so far.
View attachment 356685
Yep, that was my impression too. I don't need the thing in a hurry, would just like to get the design sorted a bit faster. Frame's looking shmick though!

sc.

Likes Dirt

Yep I've had the same thing for the last 3 weeks, I've had a reply overnight a couple times but more often it's taken 3 - 5 days. How much does the geo change when their drawing is based on pre sagged numbers?

beeb

Yep I've had the same thing for the last 3 weeks, I've had a reply overnight a couple times but more often it's taken 3 - 5 days. How much does the geo change when their drawing is based on pre sagged numbers?
In the case of the quite long (~1305mm) wheelbase I'm looking at, unsagged measurements would end up about -0.6deg head angle slacker, and ~7mm shorter reach. A bike with a shorter wheelbase would mean more significant changes.

Might not sound like much in my case, but my requested 64.5deg HA is already slack enough for me without slacking off even further, and the long reach measurement I'm chasing is 95% of why I want the custom geo to begin with - so not wanting to lose out on the whole purpose of the build.

Still planning to proceed with the build once I can get the geo sorted, just thought it was worth mentioning.

sc.

Likes Dirt
So the one I'm after will probably end up with considerably different geo.... And that info is definitely worth mentioning, thanks mate.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I had better communication through Facebook Messenger.

Occasionally I wouldn't hear back for a day or two but generally was pretty prompt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Lol. I had the opposite! Email responses, but no Messenger response. Still looking at 2 ish days to respond though.

beeb

So the one I'm after will probably end up with considerably different geo.... And that info is definitely worth mentioning, thanks mate.

View attachment 356699
I'm still trying to find out if they're drawn up with the shock sagged as well, but currently I don't think so. If that is correct, then yours will end up a little slacker (around -0.7deg at a guess).

Depending what you're chasing, you might be pleasantly surprised. Mid-64deg would be very nice with a 44 offset fork IMO. (On my Ripmo 65 still feels like a trail bike, and 64 is getting a little sleddy - I'm aiming for 64.5ish to keep the confidence but sharpen the steering a touch on climbs and tight corners...)

Reactions: sc.

sc.

Likes Dirt
I'm after something that can do a bit of everything, my Honzo is currently setup with about 66deg headangle and works well for the places I mostly ride. I don't want to go too slack and end up with something that's way too much work to pedal up a hill. I was planning on 51 offset for the fork, mostly as they seem more readily available new and secondhand.

beeb

They confirmed they had been doing the drawings with the fork sagged, but I never got an answer on the shock. At this point I've gone four rounds of trying to get a drawing that matched (or even got close enough to) the dimensions I sent, and still haven't gotten there. The last one was fairly close, except for one major flaw - the shock dimensions were wrong. The drawing had the shock at 218x55mm instead of 210mmx55. There was also no provision for lower headset cup in the drawings - both of which would change the geometry when it came time to build

I've given up at this point. It's all little details that could be easily corrected, but not with the massive delays waiting for communication - so at this point I have no plans to pursue it further.

beeb

Pretty sure the static drawings provided are unsagged. Never mind then (as per beeb reply)

I got a fancy animation for mine to see effects of 150mm fork, i'm sure they'd provide one if you asked.

They sent me one of those animations with the last e-mail I got, but it wasn't much use with it being designed around the wrong shock.

I actually have the program they're using to make those animations, so I sent them a diagram and a file from the same program with everything setup how I want hoping that will clarify things in my last e-mail, but am now awaiting a response again. I'm pretty sure they've sent me someone else's diagram bu mistake though, as it was labeled Marino 'ange' (not my name). I don't think its anything deliberate, more just that they're busy and got a little disorganised.

I happens, but I'm an impatient bugger.

wkkie

Wow! That's fancy stuff!

I'm going to send my measurements through tonight for my latest idea... Should be interesting to see what I get.

sc.

Likes Dirt
They confirmed they had been doing the drawings with the fork sagged, but I never got an answer on the shock. At this point I've gone four rounds of trying to get a drawing that matched (or even got close enough to) the dimensions I sent, and still haven't gotten there. The last one was fairly close, except for one major flaw - the shock dimensions were wrong. The drawing had the shock at 218x55mm instead of 210mmx55. There was also no provision for lower headset cup in the drawings - both of which would change the geometry when it came time to build

I've given up at this point. It's all little details that could be easily corrected, but not with the massive delays waiting for communication - so at this point I have no plans to pursue it further.
I've given up too, I know they're great value for money but I'm just going to try find something suitable second hand.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm considering selling my complete Marino.

I really got it just to test out the new school geometry. I loved it so bought a g16. Since getting that the Marino has been neglected.

Basically mine has geometry that is based on a pole machine in large. 165mm rear travel. 29" wheels (Sun Ringle duroc 35). DVO diamond boost fork. Cane creek db air cs shock. 150mm bx dropper. Deore brakes. Slx 1x11.

Further details in this thread somewhere or on the sick bicycles deathwish thread on here.

If anyone is tempted shoot me a pm, happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

wkkie

Lol. I had the opposite! Email responses, but no Messenger response. Still looking at 2 ish days to respond though.
Well, this has changed slightly since the hardtail.

I've emailed them about a dually, and had no response for a week after sending in the measurements.

I emailed again after that, thinking that they might have missed it or something and got a reply (from another person I hadn't had any communication with before) saying that they received my first email and he would get back to me with the drawings, just that they're busy. That was 6 days ago now....