Marino Bike Co rigs.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
One day you’re going to shock us all with another colour besides green and black;)

Loving that paint finish. Looking forward to seeing it at the Youis.
I've done other colours before and they were ok, but they were no green... :p

I've never actually had a green frame, just bits. I figured since it was all custom, might as well finally go for it!

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Little update on my bike...

They put in bottle cage mounting holes, apparently they standard unless you don't specifically all for them. And the gussets are different to what was originally ordered.

Apart from those little disappointments, it's looking good. It'll be interesting to see how the finish looks in person.

View attachment 354606View attachment 354607View attachment 354608View attachment 354609View attachment 354610
Looks epic! I absolutely love the colour.

What's up with the bolt in the head tube?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wkkie

Looks epic! I absolutely love the colour.

What's up with the bolt in the head tube?

It's for a cable holder / guide. Pretty sure that bolt will come out before it's shipped. The last few frames I've had have had them and they keep everything in place and rub free.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's for a cable holder / guide. Pretty sure that bolt will come out before it's shipped. The last few frames I've had have had them and they keep everything in place and rub free.
Ah, nice touch.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love how you guys get to watch your exact bike being made, very cool.
Hope they ride well. Hardtail could be a good option for me :)

wkkie

Mine is due to be shipped on Monday.

It's certainly an interesting process. From figuring out the exact dimensions, picking colours and looks and getting to see everything come together. It's unique and something I never thought I'd be in a position to do.

When / if I kill my dually down the track is something I'll be looking at for sure.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been toying with the idea of a Marino shorter travel 29er, and think I might just go for it. Can anyone sanity check the numbers? Not confident in my geo knowledge (or lack thereof). Picture

wkkie

What will you be using it for? Your riding style? That may or may not change the numbers you're after.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Been toying with the idea of a Marino shorter travel 29er, and think I might just go for it. Can anyone sanity check the numbers? Not confident in my geo knowledge (or lack thereof). Picture
Couple of comments:

• 20mm BB drop - isn't 30mm more typical?
  • I'd go for external routing unless you know that they will have good routes for the brake and RD lines, including compatible with moto brake setup
  • Is the shock length an option?
  • What's the rear travel?
  • Is the STA the effective angle, or actual (above the top tube), assuming it isn't a straight ST?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What will you be using it for? Your riding style? That may or may not change the numbers you're after.
Mostly just light/med trail stuff, blue-green flow trails and the like.
Couple of comments:

• 20mm BB drop - isn't 30mm more typical?
  • I'd go for external routing unless you know that they will have good routes for the brake and RD lines, including compatible with moto brake setup
  • Is the shock length an option?
  • What's the rear travel?
  • Is the STA the effective angle, or actual (above the top tube), assuming it isn't a straight ST?
  • Used to a slightly higher BB, but true, probably not a bad idea to drop the extra 10mm.
  • Routing, yes, have since been thinking I might just go that route anyway.
  • Yes, am open to suggestions, no real idea what I'm doing re shock sizing
  • Aiming for 130/120mm front/back, as above not sure how shock sizing will affect this - any guidance appreciated
  • Am assuming STA is actual

creaky

XMAS Plumper
  • Yes, am open to suggestions, no real idea what I'm doing re shock sizing
  • Aiming for 130/120mm front/back, as above not sure how shock sizing will affect this - any guidance appreciated
Their frame layout probably dictates the shock length and shaft length for a given travel, so ask them first.

Am assuming STA is actual
I'd think it would be effective, but not sure.

Do they give you a geo diagram?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Their frame layout probably dictates the shock length and shaft length for a given travel, so ask them first.
Do they give you a geo diagram?
Think I might do just that. They seem pretty flexible around working out the design to make sure the buyer is happy, so not too worried. Can always change stuff around before committing to the build.

Yeah, there is a geo diagram provided (see page here) - though only for a hardtail frame. That said, the ST on all their frames is straight anyway, so should be fine either way.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So i got it built and took it out for a ride this morning.

I enjoyed the ride. Little bit different to what I am used to. First single pivot. First 29er. First steel dually. Biggest reach 510mm. Longest wheelbase I have ridden

Best climber I have ridden for sure. I wouldn't say it is the suspension platform because I reckon the rune beats everything there. Maybe a combination of the big wheels and high BB. Maybe just ebcause I have been doing a lot of KMs on the hardtail and am more fit.

Fucking Lok switch is the shiz on fireroad climbs. Pretty much a complete lock out.

It is extremely fast and stable going down. Awesome on off camber roots and rockgardens

A bit cumbersome to turn and definitely not as playful compared to my Evil insurgent, but that thing has a super low BB and slays the corners like nothing else.

Bit hard to get the front wheel off the ground for drops. I almost binned it off a 2ft drop.

I'm sure it will just take some getting used to.

Interestingly I had a 40mm stem on but swapped it for a 50mm. Felt a little short (even with the massive reach) when seated climbing. Probably due to the steep sta.

I lucked out with the storia as I had no issues sitting too deep or bottoming out.

Didn't notice any flex but I can't say I was really laying it down hard into berms.

The number one test for me is to hit some jumps. Hopefully make it to the bike park next week.

Rode a mixture of single track, off camber roots, small rock gardens and steep rocky natural terrain between the pines

wkkie

Awesome, looking good @the drizzle!

I had the first ride on my hardtail the other day too. It's a bit of a rushed build and when other bits arrive there'll be some changes.

I was running a 2.25 rear tyre. This will be bumped up to 2.6 when I have the other wheels set up.

I was running a 40mm stem, but had a 50mm in mind when I came up with the measurements. Even so, I was happy with the positioning I had during the ride. On my last hardtail I felt like I was hanging off the rear wheel on the steeper, rockier trails.

The bike felt fast and planted for a first ride. The dulled feeling of the rear was nice too. Felt more gentle / compliant than the last aluminium frame I had. Even with the smaller tyre with too much pressure.

I didn't have a chance to jump it much, but looking forward to getting it airborne.

I did initially find it harder to get the front end up manual style, but a change of technique and that was sorted.

Very happy with it so far and the entire experience really.

Marino like the laser etching machine and have a few of the extra bits some nice touches.

There will be a PYR eventually with all the details, but for now here are a few closer pics of the details of the frame and the welds.

Jpez

Down on the left!
How good is it the anyone can get a frame made up to their size and geo preferences for bugger all coin. Unheard of just a couple of years ago.

The two bikes above. I approve!

wkkie

If be interested to hear if there's any mention of flex, or pivot hardware loosening @the drizzle. Looks like you'll give it a good workout!