Marino Bike Co rigs.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Black and green looks wicked Drizzle.

Sorry to be the negative Nance ... I’m real disappointed with my dually. I’ve managed to work out the flex ... which ultimately was due to leverage from the longest dropout setting ... amongst other things. But the amount of play in the rear swing arm is crazy. It’s not flex ... it’s rattling.

As a disclaimer ... we did swap out the pivot axle for something beefier ... and potentially the hardware is not quite meshing ... leading to the rattle. I haven’t had time to look at it so my problems could be self inflicted

Funny thing is I can’t notice it whilst riding ... but when off the bike and man handling ... it’s fucked

As per Drizzle’s other thread ... there has been some two steps forward / one back with my rig ... and my swing arm is different to what you guys have pictured here ... and we have actively made changes post production ... so take my shizzle with a pinch or three of salt

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That's no good @Nerf Herder.

How long have you been running it for? Is it something that's got worse over time?

What were the changes post production?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Black and green looks wicked Drizzle.

Sorry to be the negative Nance ... I’m real disappointed with my dually. I’ve managed to work out the flex ... which ultimately was due to leverage from the longest dropout setting ... amongst other things. But the amount of play in the rear swing arm is crazy. It’s not flex ... it’s rattling.

Funny thing is I can’t notice it whilst riding ... but when off the bike and man handling ... it’s fucked
That sucks to hear about your rig.

I don't know how the changes you made post-production affected your warranty but once I let Marino know my replacement frame had arrived he informed me that the frame has a 2 year warranty and to get in touch if I had any more issues.

Might be worth dropping him a message about yours.

I told him I was a heavier rider so perhaps that is why my swingarm differs to much from yours. It seems to me to be very similar to the Curtis
XR650

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Went for a ride at Majura and Stromlo ... sorted the rear end ... its a confessions thing ... pivot bolt wasnt tight enough d'oh ... bike is pretty awesome when it has everything put together. Isnt quite the Pole when it comes to cornering ... but I'm not sure if that was my rubber or me (fitness is current shite and I was getting fatigued). I have set at mid travel position ... ie I'm slightly more rear biased then the pole.

Learning alot with this bike

wkkie

Went for a ride at Majura and Stromlo ... sorted the rear end ... its a confessions thing ... pivot bolt wasnt tight enough d'oh ... bike is pretty awesome when it has everything put together. Isnt quite the Pole when it comes to cornering ... but I'm not sure if that was my rubber or me (fitness is current shite and I was getting fatigued). I have set at mid travel position ... ie I'm slightly more rear biased then the pole.

Learning alot with this bike
I'd love some photos too @Nerf Herder.

Also, what's the travel adjust trickery you have there? Any more details on that?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I managed to get to the bike park.

Rode at a place called Klinovec in the Czech republic. Got a few runs in on a black trail called Baron before storms hit and the lift went on wind hold.

I have already expressed how impressed i was with how the bike climbed.

Riding the park the bike is crazy fast, it generates speed. Seriously scary amounts of fucking speed. I need pads.

Flex wise it feels pretty solid. There is some but mostly unoticable and only aware of it if I land crossed up or with quick changes of direction on fast flowing switchbacks with humps. Definitely not the wet noodle that some suggested.

The trail I am riding has heaps of big tabletop jumps scattered throughout it. I took it cautiously on the first run. Second time around hit them and it felt good. I did land on the saddle with feet off the pedals so slowed down the rebound a little. Was worried it would be rubbish in the air compared to the evil and whilst it is definitely not as playful as the evil it is still heaps of fun. Airborne it feels great. All the issue I had with lifting the front wheel disappeared with a bit of speed. Possibly I subconsciously adjusted my technique.

I'm really stoked at this point. I am totally sold on the new geo bike purchases going forward will reflect this. Did someone say geometron?!

I do wish I had of cut and installed the tube I brought for chain stay protection as the slap is pretty epic when in the highest gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sc.

Likes Dirt
I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of these frames, can I ask how you guys worked out the rear travel you wanted via the shock sizing? Are the rear triangles all the same style as yours @the drizzle and @wkkie ? I just noticed on the geo page on the Marino site that the rear triangle is a totally different design in the examples there. Any idea on approximate weight of a 29er version, I'm assuming they're a bit weighty but would they be much heavier than a comparable alloy frame? cheers

wkkie

I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of these frames, can I ask how you guys worked out the rear travel you wanted via the shock sizing? Are the rear triangles all the same style as yours @the drizzle and @wkkie ? I just noticed on the geo page on the Marino site that the rear triangle is a totally different design in the examples there. Any idea on approximate weight of a 29er version, I'm assuming they're a bit weighty but would they be much heavier than a comparable alloy frame? cheers
In terms of weight, my frame was about 2.9kg. That's only 200g more than my last frame (Dartmoor Hornet) was listed at, and that was probably for a medium. So very comparable.

I'm not sure about shock size and travel details, I went with a hardtail, but I did find them very helpful with any questions along those lines, so an email should do the trick. Same thing with asking about the shapes.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I asked about shock length/stroke and travel, he got back to me and basically said that they can change the pivot to get a desired travel with a given shock length. I settled on 200x57 at 130mm travel, but from what he was saying I think they can increase or decrease the travel depending on how the pivot is set up.

Speaking of, here's the final draft for my frame ready for production.

sc.

Likes Dirt
In terms of weight, my frame was about 2.9kg. That's only 200g more than my last frame (Dartmoor Hornet) was listed at, and that was probably for a medium. So very comparable.

I'm not sure about shock size and travel details, I went with a hardtail, but I did find them very helpful with any questions along those lines, so an email should do the trick. Same thing with asking about the shapes.
Thanks for the info, I'll send them an email.

sc.

Likes Dirt
When I asked about shock length/stroke and travel, he got back to me and basically said that they can change the pivot to get a desired travel with a given shock length. I settled on 200x57 at 130mm travel, but from what he was saying I think they can increase or decrease the travel depending on how the pivot is set up.

Speaking of, here's the final draft for my frame ready for production.
View attachment 355870
Great, thanks mate. Yours is pretty close to what I'm thinking of, I might just go a little slacker and slightly shorter chainstays. Will yours look exactly like the pic or have a rear triangle along the lines of @the drizzle above? Did you have a choice between the two triangle designs?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great, thanks mate. Yours is pretty close to what I'm thinking of, I might just go a little slacker and slightly shorter chainstays. Will yours look exactly like the pic or have a rear triangle along the lines of @the drizzle above? Did you have a choice between the two triangle designs?
I was initially thinking 65deg but wasn't quite sure - what I think i'll do is use a -1deg Works headset to get it there, then if I don't like it it's easy enough to chuck a regular headset on there (not that i'll probably even notice any difference at 1deg anyway..). Re triangle, I didn't specify anything as I didn't have a preference so i'd say it'll be the most common triangle you see on their frames like below. I'm sure if I asked for a different triangle design they'd probably be fine with doing so, they've been very flexible given how many times i've changed my mind. :rolleyes:

http://instagr.am/p/BtyOryCgVQx/

Reactions: sc.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I asked about a 216x63 shock for 165mm travel. On the first frame I got which was warrantied, it took a 200x57 shock but was only 140mm of travel.

I didn't specify which rear triangle I wanted but I did tell him that I weighed 100kg and was concerned about too much flex.

I did not want the brace below on the rear triangle below where the shock mounts, that has a bolt running through it. I thought it looked a bit cheap.

In saying that I really like the piece of flat steel on the chain stay that Wookie has had engraved.

If I could chose my rear triangle I would grab the same one that I have already.

Marino seems to have really dialled the geometry, my bike rides incredibly well, super balanced, climbs great, descends like a demon yet is playful. For a long travel 29er that is quite an achievement i reckon.

I highly recommend his business.

I have absolutely no idea what mine weighs in at but its huge and definitely heavier than all the other bikes I have ridden. I only notice it when putting it on the rack though.

Last edited:

sc.

Likes Dirt
I was initially thinking 65deg but wasn't quite sure - what I think i'll do is use a -1deg Works headset to get it there, then if I don't like it it's easy enough to chuck a regular headset on there (not that i'll probably even notice any difference at 1deg anyway..). Re triangle, I didn't specify anything as I didn't have a preference so i'd say it'll be the most common triangle you see on their frames like below. I'm sure if I asked for a different triangle design they'd probably be fine with doing so, they've been very flexible given how many times i've changed my mind. :rolleyes:

http://instagr.am/p/BtyOryCgVQx/
I have a 1.5deg headset on my Honzo st and couldn't feel much difference, I was really surprised. I'm trying go for a custom frame that will be just as much fun to ride as the Honzo but with some rear suspension to make things a bit easier on my old man body!
I like the look of that triangle in the pic best but good to know they're open to lots of changes.
thanks again mate

sc.

Likes Dirt
I asked about a 216x63 shock for 165mm travel. On the first frame I got which was warrantied, it took a 200x57 shock but was only 140mm of travel.

I didn't specify which rear triangle I wanted but I did tell him that I weighed 100kg and was concerned about too much flex.

I did not want the brace below on the rear triangle below where the shock mounts, that has a bolt running through it. I thought it looked a bit cheap.

In saying that I really like the piece of flat steel on the chain stay that Wookie has had engraved.

If I could chose my rear triangle I would grab the same one that I have already.

Marino seems to have really dialled the geometry, my bike rides incredibly well, super balanced, climbs great, descends like a demon yet is playful. For a long travel 29er that is quite an achievement i reckon.

I highly recommend his business.

I have absolutely no idea what mine weighs in at but its huge and definitely heavier than all the other bikes I have ridden. I only notice it when putting it on the rack though.

That's great to know, thanks. I'm only looking at about 130 - 140 on the rear, that should be more than enough for me.
I haven't heard many negative things about them, seems like even if they make a mistake they're happy to fix it. It's getting hard to find a reason not pull the trigger on one.
cheers mate