AM Marketing Hype Box Ticking

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's no good. Hoping Summit and Forbidden come to your aid. That new guide and jockey wheel seems costly too. Will you buy one as a safety measure anyway?
Summit and DanJas have been good so far - right on it straight away.

Given the current guide does not function as required, I would be requesting for the improved version to be supplied as a complimentary replacement. All the usual mentioning of consumer laws and a product being "fit for purpose", design of the guide should mean it isn't possible to eject the chain to allow this damage to occur, etc...

If the bike didn't have a guide it'd just be shit luck, but coming with a chain guide from factory - that chain guide literally has one job and if it ain't working I'd not be happy about it at all.
I think that's probably right. Has dropped it twice with that guide, both with the same effect (first time wasn't as bad and just marked up the Invisframe).

Not keen to keep riding it with the current setup and risk trashing the seat stay again.

As long as they don't start asking for photos of the jockey wheel to see if there's too much wear evident for the guide to work...

I wouldn't expect that of them but I've been wrong before.
It's a near new idler which was bought from the same shop, so shouldn't be too much of an issue there.

u fkn wot m8?

This is so absurd, it's actually hilarious.
In fairness that includes the guide, and the most expensive North Shore Billet stainless steel idler pulley. There's cheaper NSB Alloy pulleys, and cheaper again Forbidden pulleys.

Don't ask me why, but the Race Guide is only compatible with Solid Lube Bearings which only come in the NSB Idlers. Looks like they're the same otherwise so can just swap in a solid lube bearing to the current idler and save a bit of cash.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's a shame, because had really started to get it close to perfect as far as setup. Swapped over to Schwalbe Magic Mary/Hans Dampf in Supertrail carcass which really suit the bike.

Managed to tear a couple of versions of the EXO Aggressor on the back and realistically needed something a little burlier. Have always liked the treat pattern on the Schwalbe's but the weight put me off a little - mainly because I assumed I'd need Supergravity. Read a couple of reviews and seems like the Supertrail is a bit of a misnomer, and they're a little burlier than their name suggests (somewhere above an EXO+ Maxxis). For that level of protection the weight makes a bit more sense.

They actually feel like a faster rolling setup than the Assegai/Aggressor. It's odd because the previous gen Hans Dampf was quite slow, but the newer pattern feels faster rolling than even the lower profile Aggressor.

Also helps that they come with on-brand orange patches...

Only other change has been a slightly higher stack height which made it feel a bit more lively and easier to get the porky coil sprung forks off the ground

Not exactly a component change, but started running Smoove Wax Lube which is a revelation on a drivetrain that is a bit sensitive - crisp smooth shifting even in the muckiest final runs of the day at Bright, and fit and forget as only have to relube every 5-10 rides.

Photo pre hungry chain incident:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Three weeks in, finally got a response. Haven't said whether they'll warranty it, but bigger issue is that they don't have any rear triangles in the cosmic eggplant colour in stock. Forbidden apparently working on it - whatever that means?
That sounds like a really shitty marketing phrase.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good news today! Forbidden have agreed to cover a new rear triangle. Only had moss green in stock, but DanJas have arranged to have it colour matched and repainted locally by a well reputed bike painter, also covered by Forbidden. Will also supply a race guide at cost price.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
That is an awesome outcome!

Have been watching this with great interest and certainly contemplating the new race guide for my new dreadnought as this is the last thing I would want to happen.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Good news today! Forbidden have agreed to cover a new rear triangle. Only had moss green in stock, but DanJas have arranged to have it colour matched and repainted locally by a well reputed bike painter, also covered by Forbidden. Will also supply a race guide at cost price.
Sounds like great customer support out of what could have been a shitty experience

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep from the importer DanJas at least. Summit didn’t bother to update me or respond, but spoke with importer directly and sounds like he went in to bat for me with Forbidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shane Ford left Summit to head up Specialized workshop as part of their direct to consumer MO.

Many shops struggling, all desperate for skilled staff, many shop owners back on the tools to keep the wheels turning. Bunch as so light on for staff that front doors are locked as they can’t man they shop floor and have you ring a bell or call them.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shane Ford left Summit to head up Specialized workshop as part of their direct to consumer MO.

Many shops struggling, all desperate for skilled staff, many shop owners back on the tools to keep the wheels turning. Bunch as so light on for staff that front doors are locked as they can’t man they shop floor and have you ring a bell or call them.
I don't doubt it's tough and they definitely still know their stuff there, but they're not a particularly friendly store - always happy to steadfastly ignore you when you walk through the door. Given the chunk of money I donated in exchange for the frame and all the associated paraphernalia, would at least think there would be some attempt at follow up without me chasing for a month when things go wrong.

I still drive across town to go to BikeNow in Sth Melb for stuff I can't get online or fixes that need a pro - know you by name, always happy to have a chat. Happy to pay a bit extra over online prices when they look after you.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And we’re back…

New rear triangle has been sitting in a box for weeks and haven’t had the chance to fit it.

Took the opportunity to fit some new UberBike smoke braided brake hose and shift cable too - previous ones came straight off my 27.5 Evil and were perilously short.

New chainguide fitted too. Fitted solid lube bearing to idler - has a fair bit of resistance it will hopefully wear in and should require far less maintenance.

Annoyingly, threaded the lever on Wolftooth remote because it appears to be made of cheese and needs to be fairly firm to hold the cable. First ride in a while will have to wait.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First ride yesterday at the You Yangs on the new forks. TL;DR - they're pretty special.

Shaving half a kilo of the front made a pretty drastic difference to start. The coil-converted 36s were lovely, but they were a weighty bit of kit. They also had a pretty harsh top out which made them a bit reluctant to be lifted off the ground. Bike is much easier to manual and is easier to pop off lips. The high pivot is not particularly playful, but the lighter forks have remedied that to a point.

I started with the recommended 92 psi, and only used about 2/3rds of the travel down Cressys. Ended up dropping a little over 10psi and sitting nicely at a a touch more than 25% sag.

They're a very different feel. Very firm to compress with your hands, but noticeably supple when at sag. The biggest takeaway was how unobtrusive they were. No noise, just did what they were supposed to do. Only got in 5 runs, and already super pleased with how they feel. Managed to snag a PR down Bandages and Glory despite not having ridden in a month.

The fore-aft stiffness is like nothing I've ever ridden. They are rock solid, with no hint of deflection under heavy braking through rocks etc. I didn't notice any issues with lateral stiffness. Although, as running them at 150mm with the bigger 20mm axle it may be less prominent.

Also upgraded the brakes to the new Hope Tech 4 E4 brakes. They're a substantial improvement over the old Tech 3 V4/E4 setup. Noticeably more power with the new organic pads, shorter lever throw and a more distinct bite point. Already a big fan.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
First ride yesterday at the You Yangs on the new forks. TL;DR - they're pretty special.

Shaving half a kilo of the front made a pretty drastic difference to start. The coil-converted 36s were lovely, but they were a weighty bit of kit. They also had a pretty harsh top out which made them a bit reluctant to be lifted off the ground. Bike is much easier to manual and is easier to pop off lips. The high pivot is not particularly playful, but the lighter forks have remedied that to a point.

I started with the recommended 92 psi, and only used about 2/3rds of the travel down Cressys. Ended up dropping a little over 10psi and sitting nicely at a a touch more than 25% sag.

They're a very different feel. Very firm to compress with your hands, but noticeably supple when at sag. The biggest takeaway was how unobtrusive they were. No noise, just did what they were supposed to do. Only got in 5 runs, and already super pleased with how they feel. Managed to snag a PR down Bandages and Glory despite not having ridden in a month.

The fore-aft stiffness is like nothing I've ever ridden. They are rock solid, with no hint of deflection under heavy braking through rocks etc. I didn't notice any issues with lateral stiffness. Although, as running them at 150mm with the bigger 20mm axle it may be less prominent.

Also upgraded the brakes to the new Hope Tech 4 E4 brakes. They're a substantial improvement over the old Tech 3 V4/E4 setup. Noticeably more power with the new organic pads, shorter lever throw and a more distinct bite point. Already a big fan.
Ummm photos for those in the poor seats.:)