Marzocchi 66RC '05

b_star

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,

Well I have just got a pair of 66RC '05. I'm a bit stumped setting them up, can anyone help?
I weight about 85kgs, 5"11'.
They are on a Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki (large).
I have a shock pump and adapter.

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
Ok,

your on the heavy side,
but I think you still won't need to run any air pressure,

let any air out of the fork when you get it,
check your Sag, My suggestion around 40m area +/- 5mm is good (when standing in the attack position, not sitting) if it's not enough, well you might still have air in there, or the fork has the hard springs in it.. ?? unlikely.
if it's too much, you might need some air in the fork, 45mm sag is ok if you like a dh setup fork.

once you got sag sorted, wind the compression all the way out, till it has a light stop, wind the rebound out, wind it in 10 clicks.

out in the street give the fork a few good cycles, check the rebound on each compression, make sure you do DEEP compressions, set the rebound faster or slower as required or prefered, my suggest keep slowing down till you beat the fork on rebound when you pull back, then go faster 1-2 clicks.

Now it's time to get out on your "favorite" track, go to one that has plenty of drops, roots, ruts and some pedaling. take note if the fork is stable enough for you, if it seems too fluid you might need to change to a heavier oil, unlikely this is the case, if so let me know and I'll run you through it (obviously vice versa applies).

Do some big drops and jumps at least the biggest your capable of, if the fork is bottoming harshly, or when your not making a total screw up of a landing, then start cranking in the compression, it operates only at travel end, so it will resist bottoming, go in 5 clicks at a time till you get to around 15-20 clicks then just take it in 1-2 at a time, till you get the right amount of bottom out resistance. If you get to 25clicks out of the 30, it might be neccessary to increase the oil height, or change to a firmer oil.

If with the compression damper wound all the way out, you cannot bottom out the fork, then there is too much oil in the fork for your weight, you will need to take some out, and or as well change to lighter oil (unlikely).

I set my oil height so I can bottom it out fairly easily with the compression adjuster all the way out, then adjust the compression to suit.

If you need more stability, higher oil height and or higher oil viscosity like 10wt will help out.

Personally at the moment I'm running 10wt in the compression side and 7.5 in the rebound, with a fairly low oil height, I'm still in testing, but I'm looking to go 10wt both sides, since adding 10wt to the rebound side gives more low speed compression damping (10wt has little effect to low speed compression damping in the compression side since damping is virtually disabled on that side till the last few inches)

it takes a bit of fiddling around to get it how you want it, most people will just ride it and play with the adjusters till they get it roughly right, the is much more to be had from the forks if you play with oil height and weight.

My suggestion is to avoid air preloading alltogether. It doesn't make the fork feel good in any way unless you are a tremendously heavy and harsh rider.

regards
Juls

SB

Likes Dirt
The 66 rcs that I had on my bike I ran with no air at all as I found that they had no small bump compliance at all, the oil level was to high from the factory for my (winter coat) 90kgs and full 170 mm travel wasn't achived even of the larger no style drops that I attempt.
After a little tunning they were a great all round fork, felt great doing runs on Mt Beautys big hill and carved the local XC trails to.
Play around with them, you'll enjoy them once sorted.

b_star

Likes Bikes
Mixed Up???

Hey Guys, Thanks for your replies. The previous owner received the forks at 150mm travel setting and then made a post here asking how to change them to 170mm.
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=29865
I think he has put the internals back into the wrong legs. The compression dial seems to adjust the rebound, and visa versa. Do you think this will pose a problem? The fork seems to be working fine otherwise.

Ozza

Eats Squid
b_star said:
Hey Guys, Thanks for your replies. The previous owner received the forks at 150mm travel setting and then made a post here asking how to change them to 170mm.
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=29865
I think he has put the internals back into the wrong legs. The compression dial seems to adjust the rebound, and visa versa. Do you think this will pose a problem? The fork seems to be working fine otherwise.
I think its just the gold dials are allen keyed on the wrong leg!

b_star

Likes Bikes
Dials

The dials are on the correct legs, compression-LH rebound-RH, I'm pretty sure it's the internals.

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
There is no difference left to right other than the carts, so if he put them back in the wrong side no big deal.

when you get around to doing a oil change you can change them back,
since you really need to take them out anyway, to achieve a proper oil change.

regards
Juls
Radiomodels

Jammidge

Cannon Fodder
Same 66RC problem, need help.

Hi

I have just bought a second hand pair of 66RCs. Thing is, the compression and rebound are on the 'wrong' legs. The rebound gold cap is labelled r and the compression gold cap is labeled c and the adjustment of each appears to correspond, so I can only presume that the whole internals and gold cap of each leg have been put in the other way around.

Is this OK do you know. They have not been put on the bike yet, but as I say, they seem to work OK.

By the way, I noticed that the gold cap on one leg was moving up away from the silver nut underneath upon compression and also upon compression there was a definate sticking point, but having tightened the gold cap up it seems OK now. How does the gold cap work.

I have printed off your exploded diagram on these forks, but is there a legend for the parts that you dont mention, like part 54, part 64 etc. Where did you get the diagrams.

Ta

Jammidge

b_star

Likes Bikes
Hey Mate,
I haven’t changed mine around and they work fine. Actually they work great, the best forks I’ve had. This dude "Juls" certainly knows his stuff, so he would really be the one to confirm any technical questions you have.
Good luck.
Adrian.