MASSIVE THANK YOU Crash at Mt Buller 16th Feb *UPDATED with crash footage*

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Hi All,

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to the guys who walked me out of the Copperhead trail at Mt Buller on the weekend. I have been riding for 15 years and never had a serious accident until now.

I managed to knock myself out and have an hour that I can't really remember, although I know one dude was riding a Pole because I distinctly remember it being long as fark. Turns out I did a good job. I fractured two thoracic vertebra, with T6 being an unstable burst fracture. I also broke a clavicle and some ribs on the left. Everyone at the hospital was pretty surprised when they heard I had walked out! They looked at the CT in Wangaratta and flew me down to Melbourne to the trauma centre.

Anyway, I have no abnormal neurology, require no surgery and got discharged home last night. Every day since then, I have woken up and thanked the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I can move my legs and my brain wasn't injured.

I really appreciate the help I got, and the culture in the mountain biking community.

Ken

PS I did have my GoPro running, but I haven't had the stomach to load the footage yet! I'll post it if it was a hectic stack!

John U

MTB Precision
Fuck! Glad you’re ok.

Sounds like you should’ve been carried out on a spinal board. Posting the stack might help others.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Good luck with the recovery. Pole riders are the best people.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
Good luck on the recovery. Take it easy.

I have also injured my back, the L1-L4 transverse process. From that experience, I assure you, loading the crash footage for us to see will help in the recovery process!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Wow k3n!f! Absolutely insane you could walk out with that list of damage. All the best for the recovery!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Crazy stuff and best of luck with healing up. Will the spinal injury be a long term management issue, or expected to mend well in the short-medium term ?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Wow, sounds like luck was on your side (to some degree). Well done to those that helped out. Recover and get back on the bike asap.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Good luck with recovery ! Sounds like you've used up some of you luck allocation already.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There is no doubt. There is definitely an extraordinary lot of good dudes and gals in the mountain biking scene.
Glad to hear your relatively alright.
This is spot on, glad to know you didn't get any bad lasting effects @k3n!f . However, you must view and upload the video to try to piece together what happened (and so we can see it). ;)
All the best with a speedy recovery.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Sounds like you made up for the 15 trouble free years in one prang! Good luck with the recovery. And as others have said, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Well, after waiting 15 years for a decent whoopsie, perhaps needing a helicopter flight is taking things to far (I mean maybe)!

Decent list of ouchies, must have been a pretty impressive ragdoll.

All the best, clavicles are shit to break, but ribs are worse.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn! That sounds like a properly decent stack. Heal up and take time. I fractured 3 vertebrae and couldn't walk when it happened. I didn't get knocked out and remember thinking I'm never going to walk again.

Anyway, the doctors told me the stable fractures would heal in 4-8 weeks, and because I could walk after 2 days I stupidly went to ride at 4 weeks. Even in a dually the first sensation heading up my spine made me stop and put the bike in the garage for another month. Take your time with it. And definitely do some yoga afterwards. It's done wonders for me.

Is the bike ok?

slowmick

38-39"
Where did you crash and where did you walk out to? You must be one tough nut.

Your last name wouldn't be Carter by chance would it Ken?