Mavic 721/Ns hubs. Spokes/Nipples brass or Alum.??

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
guy at bike addiction in sydneys northern beaches does conversions from 20mm to 15mm set you back roughly $100 (my last hub was $90)

put it this way, marzocchi used to be heaps heavier then any other fork, but also heaps stronger and plusher, then they went shit for a few years (i only owned one set of marzocchi in that time and they died in less then two months of minimal use) apperently they have picked up there game again but i think most people are pretty skeptical now, the new stuff does look like it will be good, if you went marzocchi dont get anything below a dj2, the dj3s and dirt jams are CRAP. go with whatever looks good haha, i really like the look of (most) marzocchi forks over rockshox, but fox is where its at for me nowdays. lighter, stronger? and just all around amazinger then everything else.

rob, i fail to see how you felt flex in your forks... compared to what? ridgeds? fox40s? any flex you felt would have been from your frame.

Fox is where it's @ in the $$ department as well rabatt...

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
go 36 hole. not sure how much stronger it actually is, but.

ok, well i'm going to drop this debate about forks flexing, on the grounds that my dj2s were pretty friggen stiff, and rob cant footjam properly anyway

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah go 36h. 32h is lighter but the strength gain in 36h would be better than the few grams of weight saved from the 32h

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
go 36 hole. not sure how much stronger it actually is, but.

ok, well i'm going to drop this debate about forks flexing, on the grounds that my dj2s were pretty friggen stiff, and rob cant footjam properly anyway
was thinking those dj1's in grey!! but they are the same price as the rockshox.. seems more ppl are using the rockshox brand, betta product/service/warranty/name??

and **Rob**, everyone seems to always be given you shiit mann... wots the go .. :mmph: hahahhaha

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
yeah go 36h. 32h is lighter but the strength gain in 36h would be better than the few grams of weight saved from the 32h

nice! end of the day, just want a nice reasonably weighted wheel-set that's gonna last me :clap2: .
it's a whole $20 difference to go 36h so why not aye..

so it's :
mavic 721's 36h(blk)
Ns Roarty hubs 36h, 20mm front (Chrome/Blue)
DT swiss s&n (all St/Streel)

still, no closer to deciding on either dj1's or argyles.. fark this shizz !

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess argyles are a safe bet.

It's only me paying out singlespeedfreeride, it's not that he doesn't know allot about bikes it's just he's talking bullpoo about some things.

hhahahha, U guy's ride together ??
a few times, yeah. i dont mind that much though, its just my stubborn and egocentric side coming out :) but yeah enough about whether my fork does or does not flex, either way i wouldnt recommend an 08 marzocchi.

as Rohan said, argyles are a safe bet, theyre not amazing but they work and can go a while without servicing. and since (at least on older models) pike and argyle uppers/lowers are interchangable, if not the same, so its easy to find spares if something does go crack. i see pikes and argyles going for dirt cheap second hand.

Last edited:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
a few times, yeah. i dont mind that much though, its just my stubborn and egocentric side coming out :) but yeah enough about whether my fork does or does not flex, either way i wouldnt recommend an 08 marzocchi.

as Rohan said, argyles are a safe bet, theyre not amazing but they work and can go a while without servicing. and since (at least on older models) pike and argyle uppers/lowers are interchangable, if not the same, so its easy to find spares if something does go crack. i see pikes and argyles going for dirt cheap second hand.
:tape: ahahha

I've been looking around online and there's a shiit load of debate over Marzocchi's, They were the goods prior to 07 ?? , when they were made in Italy... but now I guess as they try to stay competitive with everyone else they moved to china and went uummm how did they put it ... 'crap' .. issue's with cracking etc...

thinking Argyle's is a safer bet like you guy's said.. just pissed that the x-fusions are 15mm axle and the 20mm are not what I wonna pay..

How are these Argyle's guy's? plush.. can I lock e'm out and how hard is it to bring them down to 75-80mm ..??

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just go the x-fusions and call ben up when you order your hubs (or wheels) see if he can organize some adaptors for you, still be cheaper then allot of other options

Oh actually wait, I'm going to assume you're getting your wheels off crc? In which case my idea won't work

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
Just go the x-fusions and call ben up when you order your hubs (or wheels) see if he can organize some adaptors for you, still be cheaper then allot of other options

Oh actually wait, I'm going to assume you're getting your wheels off crc? In which case my idea won't work

No, getting them from TBSM, Matt gave me a good price for the hoops, just waiting on them now!

I sent a email thru to Ben early this morning and just waiting on a response for them adaptors :clap2: , 1 step ahead hahhaha :p

Will let you know of the out come shortly ...

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
No, getting them from TBSM, Matt gave me a good price for the hoops, just waiting on them now!

I sent a email thru to Ben early this morning and just waiting on a response for them adaptors :clap2: , 1 step ahead hahhaha :p

Will let you know of the out come shortly ...

Jst a quick update.. No go with the adapter, so in that case I don't really want to go thru the effort just for one adapter to be made, 20mm to 15mm, only if I get a few people wanting these ?? Anyone ?? that might be interested PM me on here or call 0401 723 406 and I'll take down your details.

anyway..
One mavic rim arrive yesterday the other should be here on Monday :) , placing my order with Ben from Rhythm Imports for the 20mm Front-Rotary hub tonight!!

Will post some pics up next week when I have everything here :biggrin:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt

CRC won't sell the mavics over here in Oz?? Distribution rights etc I'm thinking!!

so, I just went with Matt from TBSM. Not much more and the plus side LBS here in Oz, get in contact with him he'll look after you.

Also brought me a Camelbak backpack :clap2:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, that's interesting about mavic.

Yeh I have always had positive dealings with tbsm, pity about the adaptor, it would be worth making one imo.

You lacing the wheels yourself?

Spotty

Likes Dirt
You can still get Mavics from CRC, Chain Reaction has a contract to just say it can't, its just to keep the distributors happy or something like that?

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
i tried, and you cant. theres no link to actually put the rim into your cart.
Was told you can? but only if you buy whole wheel sets .. and not just the hoops.

Na, i'll be taking to the shop I use up here on the coast man, let them do it and that way at least I know they'll be done properly, I suck at lacing up :distrust: ahhahhaha