Mavic 721/Ns hubs. Spokes/Nipples brass or Alum.??

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
BiG thanks to Benny from Rhythm Imports for the new NS hubs. These just arrived at my work ahhaha :clap2:

Rotary's.JPGRotary's2.JPG

I have a set of Mavic 721's sititng there and now need some help as to what spokes/nipples to get.

I have been told by my LBS to just go with the St/Steel spokes (not DT Swiss or anything just standard? what the??) and marwi alum. nipples, these guy's do, do alot of custom builds and actually recommend me using the above. Me, myself would have thought to stay the hell away from alum. nipples and go with the Brass' ones..

Anyone shed sum light as to what to get please, as at this stage, I was going to drop these off to get laced up on Thursday ..??

any help would be greatly appreciated guy's...:decision::decision::decision:

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
DT Swiss Competitions with brass nipples. Don't even consider aluminium nipples if you want your wheel to last. You will only save 30grams going to aluminium but you sacrifice both strength and fatigue resistance. The other thing to be sure of is that the build is good quality and as has been said before, it doesn't matter how good the components are, if the build is crap then the wheel will fail prematurely. Also, brass nipples will last longer if you need to make adjustments down the track.

Check out this thread on nipple selection.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?231679-Best-Nipples&p=2436060#post2436060

Last edited:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
DT Swiss Competitions with brass nipples. Don't even consider aluminium nipples if you want your wheel to last. You will only save 30grams going to aluminium but you sacrifice both strength and fatigue resistance. The other thing to be sure of is that the build is good quality and as has been said before, it doesn't matter how good the components are, if the build is crap then the wheel will fail prematurely. Also, brass nipples will last longer if you need to make adjustments down the track.

Check out this thread on nipple selection.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?231679-Best-Nipples&p=2436060#post2436060
Thank you very much MTB Wanabe !! Very useful info.

You stated DT Swiss Competition's ..?

I was going to go with DT Swiss Champion's, only for the fact that there is only a weight saving of something like 64 grams between the two. but also on that note...
where I'm getting my wheels built there's around $45 a wheel price difference.. is it worth that extra $80 ...?

DT Swiss Champion's 2mm with Brass nipples, $1.80 each spoke and brass nipple, $50 flat rate labour for the actual wheel build itself..

I found this to be the best price here on the Gold Coast, using these components, is this a half decent price ...

quite a few shops here charge well over 60 (one place quoted me 90 per wheel :mmph: ) so 50 is a pretty fair price.

pretty much all the DT spokes are going to last (with proper maintenance) and are both quality spokes. personally i like a straight gauge spoke as it builds a stiffer wheel, but double butted spokes are less prone to snapping because they can flex further. but as i said thats a personal preference, its up to you really.

shakes

Likes Dirt
quite a few shops here charge well over 60 (one place quoted me 90 per wheel :mmph: ) so 50 is a pretty fair price.

pretty much all the DT spokes are going to last (with proper maintenance) and are both quality spokes. personally i like a straight gauge spoke as it builds a stiffer wheel, but double butted spokes are less prone to snapping because they can flex further. but as i said thats a personal preference, its up to you really.

Keeping in mind though. A poorly built wheel will not last long. Often it is better to spend that little more to go to someone with a good reputation.

I will admit $90 is getting up there, a wheel shouldn't take anyone who know's what they are doing much longer than an hour... But if your not buying the components from them then often you will get a different price.

yeah i fully understand that wheel building is not something you can learn by reading a book or watching a video (i learnt that the hard way :very_drunk: ). you need experience and plenty of it. however just because your paying more, does not necessarily mean your getting a better wheel build. i paid $35 for my wheel build, it was done in one morning, and i have full confidence that this is a damn good build.

Last edited:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
yeah, I'll be going to bike force in Oxenford (Gold Coast) as that's where I do seem to get the best service. Prices are always pretty fair as well which is always a good thing.

Was told to go with triple butted, but... the cost just blows right out and to be honest with you not to keen to spend $400 on just spokes/nips and labor that's insane don't you think?

singlespeed : double butted spokes are less prone to snapping because they can flex further this is what I was told by the wheel builder :clap2:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
Wheelset complete!!

:clap2:

Finally, picked up my new wheelset this arvo on this crap raining Gold Coast day ahhahhaha something good has come out of it :very_drunk::clap2:

wheelset completed.JPGRear NS hub.JPG

Build is as follows :

Rims : Mavic 721's
Hubs (Front&Rear) : 9mm NS Rotary and SS Pro rear
Spoke 'n' nips : DT Swiss competitions with Brass nips

Just for shiits, I thought I'd list the prices too, let me know if you think I paid too much, I got nuffin' to hide and having said that am very happy with all the service I got from these companies, WILL be doing business with all of them again, in the very near future.

BiG THANKS GUY's !!

Rims (TBSM), $100 each (Del. in 2 working days)
Hubs (BiG thanks to Benny from Rhythm Imports : https://www.ribbed.com.au/store/ ), $349.90 (Del. in 2 working days)
Spokes 'n' nips, this includes labor to lace up (Bike Force Oxenford, Gold Coast), $180 (Laced up within 4 working days)

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
wheels look awsome man

you have to let me know how they ride. im looking at getting the exact same wheels so it would be good to know how they are :)

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
wheels look awsome man

you have to let me know how they ride. im looking at getting the exact same wheels so it would be good to know how they are :)
There sic mann!!

Just put them on this arvo, went for a quick strap around my block (been a crazy wkend!!) they are sooo nice, roll nice and are farkin' loud ahhahaha

the original wheel set had 28T - 13 gearing, now I've got 28T - 11, not as light but once u get going u already flying... Will ride it as is for the next couple weeks but might up the gearing on the front...

so far so good :clap2::clap2::clap2: :very_drunk: