Mavic 721/Ns hubs. Spokes/Nipples brass or Alum.??

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
It's time for me now to upgrade my rigid forks on my NS to some suspension forks... as below...

Rockshox Argyle 302 $349.95 from TBSM.jpgRockshox Argyle 302 $349.95 from TBSM.jpg

If you think there's better one I should be looking at I would like you hear what you might think I should get..

Budget would be $400 tops...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
i wouldnt suggest buying a fork from crc, i did and had to fork out a lot of money because shipping it back to crc to get it fixed under warranty would cost more than getting it fixed at my local shop.

take a look at the new x fusion velvet, very good reviews and its only $50 more (if you buy from the distributor). has a lot more adjustment than the argyle and is still fairly light

booth

Squid
i wouldnt suggest buying a fork from crc, i did and had to fork out a lot of money because shipping it back to crc to get it fixed under warranty would cost more than getting it fixed at my local shop.

take a look at the new x fusion velvet, very good reviews and its only $50 more (if you buy from the distributor). has a lot more adjustment than the argyle and is still fairly light
Never thought of it that way, so far though i've had no troubles with them and they're meant to be easy as anything to service/rebuild (theres a video, tech tuesday on pinkbike)

well mine was a marzocchi, so i shouldve seen it coming. had to replace the rebound caltridge on it

but thats the tradeoff for buying things at such a low price. if you want to buy online thats yor choice, just dont cry when you have to pay $120 for a job that could have been done for free if you bought it from a shop

support yo local!

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
well mine was a marzocchi, so i shouldve seen it coming. had to replace the rebound caltridge on it

but thats the tradeoff for buying things at such a low price. if you want to buy online thats yor choice, just dont cry when you have to pay $120 for a job that could have been done for free if you bought it from a shop

support yo local!

+1 for support local for sho !!

Guy's TBSM has the argles for $350 and can't seem to find a shop that sells the x fusions...?? any help would be good..

Can any of you tell me why one would be better then the other.. seems that everyone's saying X fusions but why, I see they are lighter but ??

ok also not too keen on spending crazy amounts of cash on forks as I still need to get new set of wheel etc but also not to big of a problem if I have to bump up the budget to $450, I just want the best quality fork,
number 1, for that kind of money but 2, quality/ parts and service..

know what i mean ...

its basically an old fox fork. and everyone knows if its fox its obviously the best thing since sliced bread.

on a more serious note: it has more adjustability and only costs a bit more than an argyle, you can also set the travel to suit your needs from the factory, which means no more cutting up bars and cramming springs in to lower your fork. weight is also a big advantage, as a lighter front end makes everything a whole lot easier.

any bike shop can order in x fusion products from diymtb.com.au turns out theyre $550 though. if you cant afford that the velour isnt too bad either and its only $392 and uses the same axle spacing as the fork you already have, so you wont need a new hub.

Last edited:

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
its basically an old fox fork. and everyone knows if its fox its obviously the best thing since sliced bread.

on a more serious note: it has more adjustability and only costs a bit more than an argyle, you can also set the travel to suit your needs from the factory, which means no more cutting up bars and cramming springs in to lower your fork. weight is also a big advantage, as a lighter front end makes everything a whole lot easier.

any bike shop can order in x fusion products from diymtb.com.au

if your budget is firm and you cant afford the velvet, the velours arent half bad either and theyre only $392. and you wont need a new hub to run it
Thanks mann !! I just got off their website !!
and
yeah I think those velours are looking nicer and nicer by the minute singlespeed . So would you recommend ordering the 80mm travel ones... It's for the NS...

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
Just to add to all of that, what's the benifits/advantages to having either the standard axle set ups to let's say a;
QR15 or 20mm axles??

10mm means you can run bmx hubs (so greater choice) but the fork flexes more

20mm is very stiff, has a great choice in hubs and forks

15mm is very new so theres not many forks or hubs around fir it, its slightly lighter than the 20mm and is stiffer than the 15mm

for the holy id go for the 80mm

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
10mm means you can run bmx hubs (so greater choice) but the fork flexes more

20mm is very stiff, has a great choice in hubs and forks

15mm is very new so theres not many forks or hubs around fir it, its slightly lighter than the 20mm and is stiffer than the 15mm

for the holy id go for the 80mm
mmm, was speaking with couple LBS today as well as the distributor for tha x fusion's... There are now down to $295 and $22 del. up here to the gold coast !! not a bad price at all.. but most shops are telling me to stick with tha rockshox brand.. something along the lines of; better fork as well as better name, servicing etc..

Is this the case? and has anyone actually had or tried both these forks to compare?

keen as hell for a new wheel set so std or 20mm axles won't be too much of an issue..

Everyone's thoughts would be really good about now... as I'm putting a parts order thru TBSM on Sat. and want to know which way to go with these dame forks ..

does the shop stock rockshox? because that might explain why they tell you to get that over an x fusion. both are good forks, but you get more bang for your buck with x fusion. either way both companies have similar warranty policies so youll be covered no matter what you choose.

ive seen many people running x fusion forks and only seen 1 case of the fork failing, and this guy is the definition of a hack. like 180s off buildings and nollie 3s down pretty big stair sets. most riders will be safe. in the pic you can see that it was probably a manufacturing fault
p4pb6314972.jpg

just to put it in perspective: he cracked his majesty in a few months.

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
does the shop stock rockshox? because that might explain why they tell you to get that over an x fusion. both are good forks, but you get more bang for your buck with x fusion. either way both companies have similar warranty policies so youll be covered no matter what you choose.

ive seen many people running x fusion forks and only seen 1 case of the fork failing, and this guy is the definition of a hack. like 180s off buildings and nollie 3s down pretty big stair sets. most riders will be safe. in the pic you can see that it was probably a manufacturing fault
View attachment 205896

just to put it in perspective: he cracked his majesty in a few months.
Thanks singlespeed !!

I've been talking again with the LBS that got my NS in for me and he's be saying to go the 20mm axle route as this will make the fork alot more stiffer?? So again looking at the RockShox as they do have the "Maxle 20mm Axle" ..
and for an added cost of only $60 seems like a worth wild choice.. Have you riden with one??? and what would be your choice out of x fusion / Rockx or DJ's ??:confused: also I'll ask you to let me know why so would one be better then the other...

CrazyM

Likes Dirt
"dilemma" Rigids or suspension forks ?

:tape:

I know alot of you are running suspension forks on ur dj's but how many of you are still running with the old skool rigids ??

I've always ridden with rigids but now have come to a dilemma:decision:

I'm Having second thoughts on going with suspension forks.. anyone on here wonna try sell me to make the move?

Why one would be betta than the other? ... :decision:

its personal preference really. a rigid fork is lower, so itll give you snappier turning and a lower bottom bracket but slightly less toe clearance, and rigid forks require little to no maintenance as they dont have any moving parts inside. they also weigh almost half that of your average suspension fork. although you do lose a bit of versatility running a rigid fork.

suspension forks are generally higher, but they also allow you to fine tune your a-c height to have your desired geometry. because they are higher it is easier to lift the front wheel up, but i find because they are higher you tend to get slightly more flex depending on the fork (my dj1 was like a wet noodle)

and also if your wrists have taken a beating in the past a suspension fork is recommended, obviously. but ive had numberous wrist injuries and i can still ride rigid, you just have to stay loose and let your arms go floppy when you know your going to land to flat.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Suspension let's you get away with being a hack allot more, and allows me to go bigger caus I know if I stuff up it gives me more room for error, running ridged is ok, good if you're only riding park and stuff, dirt and ridged I don't like, also I'd rather run ridged then a crappy suspension fork.

Also, rob never gets more then a foot off The ground so I fail to see how his dj1s felt like a wet noodle, they were the stiffest part of your bike mate!

torsionally it wasnt very stiff. i felt it flex during spins. straight up and down impacts it wasnt too bad. and compared to a rigid they are not that stiff due to the longer a-c height (at least you average 32mm stanchion, a lowered 36mm im not sure)

... :pout: nah ive hit bigger stuff, you know that.

Last edited:

haltz

Likes Dirt
marzocchi 4x dirt jumpers. I weigh 90kg and havnt had a single problem even on my loose cannon days with overjumps and cases all over the place.