Mavic Wheels? Reliable?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I need a new back wheel and notice that pushys have some big discounts on mavic wheels (XA elites). Everything I've heard about them in the past was that they were unreliable and full of proprietary parts and hard to get spares for. However, I've had a set of crossroc wheels on my commuter for over a year and they have proven to be reliable, roll well and generally quite nice wheels so I'm open to the idea of getting mavics for my dually. Any issues with the newer mavic stuff?

Otherwise I'll just stump up for a hope custom wheel build from CRC.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found my Mavic SLR wheels to be very good, especially given my weight and how I pushed them on a XC HT and FS bike.

The freehub was reliable enough and I only ever broke one spoke through my own idiot riding.

I'd consider the brand again for the right price but there are so many other wheels for good prices it'd need to be a deep discount to make me choose them.

Only concern would be internal width depending on your requirements as they're a touch narrow by current trends. Depends on how important that is for you.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My experience with them is a bit out of date. I had Aksiums and Crossmax wheels about 10 years ago. Great rims no question, spokes were fine although the Aksiums had too few, hubs were the work of the devil. They ate bearings, freehubs were made of cheese, the ratchet mechanism was weak and why they used a nylon bushing is still a mystery to me.

They may have improved since then, but I would do a lot of research before committing to them.

I've still got a few set of Hope pro2s from back then and they peform virtually the same now as they did when new.

If you're not a weight weenie I would reccomend the Hopes no question.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I had some Crossmax XL (I think that was the model name) back in the V-brake days. Wheels were solid, although the coating on the brake surface started flaking off which looked shitty.

I now have some Crossmax SLR on a hardtail which have been trouble free and look nice. No problems with these, although as mentioned above the ID is a bit narrow these days.

I like them, but would shop all options when looking for a new set of wheels.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback. I can get a Mavic XA Elite wheelset for $350. They weigh 1700g, rims are 25mm internal (enough for me) and 7.5deg engagement in the freehub. They seem to tick all the boxes at a good price - hence why I'm considering them.

Compare this to a hope rear wheel from CRC for around $310-$380 depending on the rim. I already have a stans flow on hope front wheel. This wheelset would be a fair bit heavier than the mavics. I mainly do XC riding these days so wouldn't mind something a bit lighter. In the past I've always gone reliability over weight. There doesn't seem to too much info on newer mavic stuff, but most of what I can find says, they're freehubs are better than they used to be but still need regular maintenance. I think, I've just about talked myself into the hopes...

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
buy em before they sellout...thats a sweet fuckin discount ($300 odd for a 1K wheelset?!) and pushys dont tend to stock too many especially when they get reduced like that. put it this way....what else could you get for that money?
...also local warranty is another plus. do it before someone else nabs em :D

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
On a sample size of 3....not a fan. One cheap crossride and 2 crossmax....all had issues and needed very regular maintenance to keep them rolling. Had Deemax also, but not for long enough to assess.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
I've had a set of Crossmax XL (c.2014) for the last 4 years. No dramas, haven't needed any truing. They're easy to set up tubeless. Only issue is the freehub needs a regular service (once every few months). The service is easy, just a clean and lube.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Holy shitballs. I've been waiting for a good deal on a spare wheelset for the stable, getting a set of those in Non-Boost for $280 is freaking ridiculous!

Which I have just done :D

Definitely get on it while it lasts. If only they had a 29'er non-boost set for that cheap too ;)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Oh shit, those green ones would play nice matchy matchy with the Shan.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Wow... The wheels arrived - holy hell those hubs are GREEN!

Definitely happy with that catch. Non-boost wheelset, adapters for QR (in case @moorey ever needs to buy them off me, once he finally ends up on old 650b), tyres that look OK for XC & trail duties, plus sealant in a bottle, all for $280.

Geez I repeat my wish that they had a 29'er non boost set on there!

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I ended up ordering some too. Looks like they will turn up tomorrow. I should have them on the bike ready for the weekend hopefully. I reckon they'll drop nearly 0.5kg off my current wheelset so looking forward to seeing if I can feel a difference.

moorey

call me Mia
(in case @moorey ever needs to buy them off me, once he finally ends up on old 650b)
Had 2 bikes in 650b on and off for 18 months. Rode one to victory yesterday.
They sound like a good buy....but I’ll take s/h hope hoops for the same money. Cheers.

Was there a link, @Isildur? I have a mate who could use a set.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Had 2 bikes in 650b on and off for 18 months. Rode one to victory yesterday.
They sound like a good buy....but I’ll take s/h hope hoops for the same money. Cheers.

Was there a link, @Isildur? I have a mate who could use a set.
Yep, that's the link, and the XA Elites are down the bottom. I also searched their site for XA Elite and came up with the goods :)

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers. I have no idea what the models mean, outside deemax, crossmax, crosstrail and crossride.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In true French style, Mavic are weirdly unpredictable.... Some wheels can be bombproof awesome, others can be a complete pain in the arse despite being totally identical. Sure there are a fair few proprietary parts, but it's really only the spokes that might conspire to cause you grief; keep the nipple/spoke interface lubed & they should be OK. Bearings are standard industrial jobbies, so not difficult or expensive to replace. The freewheel body can have aspirations of being a fixie, or develop a "death squeal" if it gets gritty & dry, but is very easy to service, just be sure to use oil and not grease on the contact faces or it will stick and suck chain even worse.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
In true French style, Mavic are weirdly unpredictable.... Some wheels can be bombproof awesome, others can be a complete pain in the arse despite being totally identical. Sure there are a fair few proprietary parts, but it's really only the spokes that might conspire to cause you grief; keep the nipple/spoke interface lubed & they should be OK. Bearings are standard industrial jobbies, so not difficult or expensive to replace. The freewheel body can have aspirations of being a fixie, or develop a "death squeal" if it gets gritty & dry, but is very easy to service, just be sure to use oil and not grease on the contact faces or it will stick and suck chain even worse.
Cheers for the maintenance tips. The one I've grabbed are already relegated to spares, but it's good to know in any case. I'll give the freewheel body a check and light oil so that their time in storage will be nice and lubed.