Maxxis DTH tyres

Peter650

Likes Dirt
These tyres rock big time. They roll great, bike is much quicker accelerating up to speed, & it feels generally more responsive/lighter. Grip on dry pavement is great. I defiantly have found my summer tyre.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's interesting to hear. Have you had a chance to get them on dirt yet?

I've been rocking the Halo Twin Rail (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/halo-twin-rail-26in-tyre/rp-prod12385 but in tan wall) for the last 14 months. Lots of kms on street with them and only changed the rear recently after too much glass got into it. Awesome grip on most hard surfaces, including a steel wall ride. Acceleration is pretty fast too.

I've just received some Schwalbe Table Tops (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/schwalbe-table-top-sport-mtb-tyre/rp-prod24643) was running these previously as they were real good on dirt and street. They have a bit of resistance compared to the twin rail, but are surprisingly grippy on dirt. So it's a great all rounder. I'm not sure I'll make the change over yet though, I'm really liking the fast rolls. Will play things by ear over the next couple of weeks.

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Poodle i have not gone anywhere near dirt with them. Only street and park. I did have a few little slides on metal when the tyres where 100% fresh. I think they will grip better to metal now i have a few ks on them. But i was riding really badly ( sore from the gym) so maybe it was just the way i was riding

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sore from the what??? I'd not want to be trying to boost any unnecessary muscles! I hope you were doing cardio.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Dth stands for 'drop the hammer'............. they were primarily designed as a bmx race tyre. Unless you get the folding 2.15 they are heavy as fuck. Over 700g. The grip on all concrete surfaces is fantastic but i find the grip on dirt to be sketchy. Unless it's super hard pack. But I'm a feather weight. Other people find it quite good.
I seriously can't hate on Table Tops enough. Heavy, shit knob pattern, zero grip, unbelievably wide even at 2.25. In order to get any kind of grip on dirt i need to run them at least 10psi lower than any other tyre, which is super noticeable in the rolling resistance. They have no grip on concrete whatsoever. I have dozens of photos from skateparks with TT smears down the quarters-from sliding out not gripping. The claims of the folding weight are probly bs as the wire weights are over too. Worst aspect of running 24s is the shit rubber and being stuck with them.
My absolute favorite on dirt is the Ardent Race. 600g folding at 2.1 with the non beefy side wall for 26. For the maaaaybe 10g you'll save with a folding tt, you get a 600x better tyre. Due to the small tight pattern the only surface it hates is mud. Never tried tho. Our if you can find it a Small Block 8. Xc race tyres are awesome for dj.
If you want a grippy light street tyre go Power Block or /folding/ dth.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Everyone loves something different...

I ran the table top for about 9 months for dirt and street. They suck pretty back in mud and gravel, otherwise I found them great on the jumps and trails at glenrock lagoon and my other beloved quarry. Off road I ran them at about 25-30psi. Street wise they delivered a low rolling resistance at ~60psi and hooked up at the skate park etc...they also handled railing stair cases well. A much better all round tyre than the similar Maxxis holy roller or DMR Moto. I do rock the dmr Moto Digger as my off road tyre at the moment. It is very pleasing.

I've ran small block 8s and wasn't pleased. Too much rolling resistance and a very annoying vrrrrrrrrrr noise on the street. One of my mates loves them.

My favourite Street only tyre will always be the Schwalbe crazy bob. They are awesome, right down to the loud screech they make under brakes. I've stopped using them though due to their excessive weight.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I don't run anything except tt under 65psi. My sb8 i ran at 80psi. They aren't good for street, true. I find it easier to have multiple bikes rather than suffer using a bad tire. A mate used to run DMR motos (not digger). They hooked up better in dirt for me than tt. I have some dmr transition tires for 24, over 1kg a pop....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
That's interesting to hear. Have you had a chance to get them on dirt yet

Dth stands for 'drop the hammer'............. they were primarily designed as a bmx race tyre. Unless you get the folding 2.15 they are heavy as fuck. Over 700g. The grip on all concrete surfaces is fantastic but i find the grip on dirt to be sketchy. Unless it's super hard pack. But I'm a feather weight.
Have folding 2.3, haven't weighed them, but they don't feel super heavy. Grip on pavement is stoopid good, have only had them on BMX, pump and 'burban jumps, so realitivly hard packed dirt surfaces, grip is only a little less than the pavement, and miles ahead of the HRs I had on before. But I'm a fat cunt.

Going to get the 2.15s for the death trap, I'm putting together for the wife. She'll be riding predominantly mixed use paths and basic single trail, so should be spot on.

Plus if you have a hunt, you can get them in uber hipster, tan wall.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
My absolute favorite on dirt is the Ardent Race. 600g folding at 2.1 with the non beefy side wall for 26. For the maaaaybe 10g you'll save with a folding tt, you get a 600x better tyre. Due to the small tight pattern the only surface it hates is mud.
Ikons are pretty good too, XC light, and have a bigger bag:stated size ratio than ardents.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Just bought an NS Clash frame so spent AGES with about a million tabs open looking at all the tyre options on Chainreaction. I have Holy Rollers in 2.4 and 2.2 on my P3 which is about to be stripped and quite like them. Very fast on the pavement and okay grip around the Perth trails in winter. Nothing grips here in summer unfortunately. I commuted on this bike quite a lot, so 90% of the time I was on concrete or the road.

Hated SB8s, found them slow on concrete but good in the dirt. Don't spend enough time in the dirt to justify this.

I was looking at the Halo's, a guy at the local park/dirt jumps runs them on his P3 setup for DJ and loves them. His bike is used purely for DJ, he doesn't even hit the park with it though.

Once again it seems opinions are like assholes, we all have one :heh:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't run anything except tt under 65psi. My sb8 i ran at 80psi. They aren't good for street, true. I find it easier to have multiple bikes rather than suffer using a bad tire. A mate used to run DMR motos (not digger). They hooked up better in dirt for me than tt. I have some dmr transition tires for 24, over 1kg a pop....
Holy shit! You must bounce around pretty hard on 80psi???

burban jumps

Going to get the 2.15s for the death trap, I'm putting together for the wife. She'll be riding predominantly mixed use paths and basic single trail, so should be spot on.

Plus if you have a hunt, you can get them in uber hipster, tan wall.

Burban jumps sound like something a bunch of southern Hill billies have made while moonshine senseless and then punched into on their flogged out quad...

Get your wife some Schwalbe Kojaks...

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Holy shit! You must bounce around pretty hard on 80psi???
No actually. That's why i loved them. They still has tons of grip even at that pressure. I can't deform the table tops to make any use of the tred (it's all on the sides)-i really am a feather weight-unless the pressure is so low i stop rolling. The pattern on the Ardent Race is tight enough that it doesn't need to deform. If that makes sense?
Basically my tt are worn straight down the middle. I don't know how anyone lighter than myself could run them, ask a light weight friend to test them and see if it's just me.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kenda Krad sounds like it will fit your needs.
Skinny with tight tread pattern, fairly fast rolling and can hold decent pressure. Only thing is they are heavy

Best tyre I have had for park has been Geax Booze light, though these did not last long and were around 2.5" wide. They rolled very fast and gripped dry sealed surfaces really well. (no grip on wet surfaces)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Kenda Krad sounds like it will fit your needs.
Skinny with tight tread pattern, fairly fast rolling and can hold decent pressure. Only thing is they are heavy

Best tyre I have had for park has been Geax Booze light, though these did not last long and were around 2.5" wide. They rolled very fast and gripped dry sealed surfaces really well. (no grip on wet surfaces)
I ran K-rad for a while. So many wipeouts, i found them not so grippy. They also cut/tore easily (my home town has a lot of those dickheads that throw glass out the window). Rolled really fast though.

A chum is running the booze light. They didn't seem that heavy to me. Grip is good, texture is soft in hand. They look heaps fat too!

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Ikons are pretty good too, XC light, and have a bigger bag:stated size ratio than ardents.

Yeah, just looked them up and They do look good. One extra row of knobs vs an Ardent Race i think. And with weights as low as 480g for a 26x2.20--i'm in luuuuv. :) I got the Ardents for stupid cheap from Pushys, like $50 for the pair.

Booze lights are popular with the North American street crowd. Got one with heaps of flat spots thru the rubber to the weave, must be pretty sticky (came on a second hand bike).

Peter650

Likes Dirt
Well i have had them in dirt & pea gravel now. Hard pack dirt they are great. Pea gravel loose over hard surface they do slide around a bit but the more aggressive you are the better they work.