Maxxis High Roller 2 non-TR, tubeless. Will I die?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This has probably been asked a few times before, but a quick search yeilded no result.

I accidentally ordered a 2.4 High Roller 2, EXO, 3C which is not TR. I mounted it and it went up fine and is holding air. I have mounted it on a Hope Tech Enduro rim.

My main concern is with the tyre blowing off the rim. Does anyone have any experience with this tyre that can offer me some reassurance that I will not die? I am pretty sure it will be okay, but "pretty sure" is not "sure". I have only ever run TR tyres tubeless and everything else tubed.

Cheers farkers.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You'll be right. People were running non TR tyres tubeless long before manufacturers made TR tyres.
My understanding is that TR is more to do with side wall permeability than bead construction.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I haven't used that particular tyre, but I've run other bog-standard non-tubeless tyres set up tubeless for fairly lengthy periods with no troubles.

Main thing is you'll probably want to jack your pressure up slightly compared to what you run in the TR version; the sidewalls typically aren't as stiff, so get squirmy, and also increase the risk of bottoming out & crunching the rim at low pressure.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Both my HR2 and Ardent are EXO non TR. I'm still here!

They are the #oldskool size though.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I'm a little curious about non UST tyres set up on UST tubeless rims. Do you need sealant to get it to work?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a little curious about non UST tyres set up on UST tubeless rims. Do you need sealant to get it to work?
I think you, technically, need to run sealant on anything other that a UST tyre, but I have had plenty of TR ready tyres that would have been fine without it. Although there would be no sealing of punctures.

Boom King

I've had them set up without sealant and they have held air. It does seem to be a lottery though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes. Non-UST tyres are porous and don't hold air well without sealant, so you need it to .... wait for it.... seal the tyre wall.

UST tyres have a more airtight barrier layer in the casing, which contributes partially to the stiffer sidewalls, so in theory don't need sealant, but in the real world it's pretty necessary with all tubeless setups.

Boom King

Yes. Non-UST tyres are porous and don't hold air well without sealant, so you need it to .... wait for it.... seal the tyre wall.

UST tyres have a more airtight barrier layer in the casing, which contributes partially to the stiffer sidewalls, so in theory don't need sealant, but in the real world it's pretty necessary with all tubeless setups.
I've only run Maxxis. DH casing weeps like a weeping thing. EXO doesn't seem to weep at all.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've only run Maxxis. DH casing weeps like a weeping thing. EXO doesn't seem to weep at all.
I've run both maxxis dh and exo casing tubeless with sealant and both seem to weep roughly the same amount. 26 inch too.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
They're dual ply Minions so sounds like I'll definitely need to use sealant then. I've currently got some Magic Marys on there, strangely the front has decided it doesn't want to hold air for long period of time but the rear's still up.

Boom King

They're dual ply Minions so sounds like I'll definitely need to use sealant then. I've currently got some Magic Marys on there, strangely the front has decided it doesn't want to hold air for long period of time but the rear's still up.
It happens, depends on the moon.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
They'll leek for a lil while then seal up.. none of the tyres i run tubeless are actually tubless.. even my dh ply tues with wire beads.

No issues at all

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never used a UST tire ever.

You need to run sealant anyway to manage punctures, so what's the point? I just use UST rims, standard tires, and Stans. Voila.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the replies all. I am now pretty secure in the fact that I will not die, well not from my tyre setup anyway.