Maxxis trail tyre combo...

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know similar questions have been asked 100s of times but I can’t find what I’m after with the sucky search function.

So, I’m wondering if a 29” Minion dhf/dhr combo is overkill for general trail riding. I currently run hans dampf and Nobby nics in 2.35 and looking at 2.3 and 2.5 in Maxxis. Also considering highrollers. I know the ilon is a popular rear tyre choice but the don’t look as though they’d last too long.

Cheers
CC

moorey

call me Mia
High rollers roll horribly on the trail.
As long as not muddy, the SS is still my rear go-to. Tried a tomahawk on an enduro race. Good compromise, but wore out in one weekend.
I find the icon lacks cornering bite. Fine for just xc.
I’m not an ardent fan, but mates swear by them. Tried an aggressor?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ss as in minion semi slick? Dhf up front?

I haven’t tried an agressor. The only maxxis tyres I have used are Minion dhf snd rekon in 27.5 x 2.8 on a hardtail.

teK--

Eats Squid
i know similar questions have been asked 100s of times but I can’t find what I’m after with the sucky search function.

So, I’m wondering if a 29” Minion dhf/dhr combo is overkill for general trail riding. I currently run hans dampf and Nobby nics in 2.35 and looking at 2.3 and 2.5 in Maxxis. Also considering highrollers. I know the ilon is a popular rear tyre choice but the don’t look as though they’d last too long.

Cheers
CC
Not overkill at all. I use that combo all year round on every terrain. Everything from shuttle days to multi day xc epics.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard

Cheers
CC
You'll need to go the 2.5 in the Maxxis to get anywhere near the volume of your current 2.35 Schwalbe.

Will definitely be heavier and roll slower than your current setup.

Open to other suggestions?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll need to go the 2.5 in the Maxxis to get anywhere near the volume of your current 2.35 Schwalbe.

Will definitely be heavier and roll slower than your current setup.

Open to other suggestions?
Sure, as long as you don't recommend Specialized! :0

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
What moorey said, the SS is a great thing on the back.

I run a DHRII on the front though, roll a bit better than the DHF but dont give much grip up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get these threads every few weeks. No one mentions what bike they ride (from trail, assuming 140ish mm), width of rims or where they ride...

moorey

call me Mia
Get these threads every few weeks. No one mentions what bike they ride (from trail, assuming 140ish mm), width of rims or where they ride...
29”
General trail riding.
Currently 2.35”

Pretty clear he’s after a pretty general, all round tyre that will handle all conditions....and asked about Maxxis, but not icon.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
29”
General trail riding.
Currently 2.35”

Pretty clear he’s after a pretty general, all round tyre that will handle all conditions....and asked about Maxxis, but not icon.
Yep, plus new rims are flow mk3. My old bike was a Spider 29c (which as per my recent thread shit itself). I was running arch mk3 with the HD and NN.

Sus is 140 front, 130 rear.

Trails are typically sandstone, rocky and sandy. Not much in the way of mud.

P.s. one these days I’ll eventually get my replacement frame so i can actually try some new rims and rubber!

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
The flow mk3 will handle a 2.4/2.5 combo nicely, but on those rims, 2.3 will fill out nicely, and plenty grippy for your condition, I reckon. You don’t need the weight penalty of a bigger tyre, IMHO.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Tried a tomahawk on an enduro race. Good compromise, but wore out in one weekend.
I find the icon lacks cornering bite. Fine for just xc.
I’m not an ardent fan, but mates swear by them. Tried an aggressor?

I found the same with the tomahawk. Really liked the tyre and the side knobs grip well. But the life of it is just horrific.

Also agree with the ardent. Can’t understand how anyone likes that tyre

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Make sure you get the 3c compound.

Minion SS is a great back tyre. DHF or DHR are great for the front but I prefer DHF. I find the DHR can have some lateral slip before the side knobs find grip (like the high roller but not as pronounced).

DHR is amazing on the front for braking performance though

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The flow mk3 will handle a 2.4/2.5 combo nicely, but on those rims, 2.3 will fill out nicely, and plenty grippy for your condition, I reckon. You don’t need the weight penalty of a bigger tyre, IMHO.
Are Maxxis dmaller volume across the board vs Schwalbe? Would a 2.5 minion be similar to. 2.35 Hans Dampf? I don’t mind Schwalbe but what pisses me off is every 3rd tyre is out of true by 5mm or more.