Maxxis trail tyre combo...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have found Schwalbe tyres to be better for outright grip, but the fade quite quickly.

Maxxis tyres seem to lose out a little early, but remain consistent for much longer.

I’m currently running a Minion DHF and Minion SS combo on a 140/130mm Trail bike but about to change to a DHF/DHF combo.
My local trails are hard clay and this time of year the SS is a liability on the slimy clay and tree roots.

I’d also agree with the Ardents being rubbish, never understood how people enjoy them.

The new Assegai is supposedly very good, although it’s DH specific only at present and weighs a lot!

moorey

call me Mia
Are Maxxis dmaller volume across the board vs Schwalbe? Would a 2.5 minion be similar to. 2.35 Hans Dampf? I don’t mind Schwalbe but what pisses me off is every 3rd tyre is out of true by 5mm or more.
Indeed. Horrific experience with NN and HD being out of shape from new.

moorey

call me Mia
I run NN as my XC tyre. Seriously considered HD’s with all the letters for last TransNZ. Took them to Buller for a test, first run I lost 1/2 my side knobs. Second, I put a big hole in one. Never happens to me with Maxxis. That was my last foray into Hans Dampfs. Can’t see myself ever going back to save 50g, especially when they don’t roll well on the rear.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
same old
Minion F on the front and a Minion R2 on the rear
If you want more speed and a lighter mass go the 2.3 option in both or
slightly more grip with a 2.5 Minion F WT on the front and a 2.3 Minion R2
on the rear
I run two wheelsets, thinner rims (old stans flow) with 2.3 front and back and
EX511 with 2.5 minion F and 2.4 Minion R2 in WT front and back I switch between
them seamlessly

my old Aggressor ended up in the bin after too many punctures, otherwise it wasn't
a bad tyre

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i have an aggressor 2.6 on the back of the plus bike -i really like it , did puncture one tubeless though -only plus sized tyre i have done that to

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
same old
Minion F on the front and a Minion R2 on the rear
If you want more speed and a lighter mass go the 2.3 option in both or
slightly more grip with a 2.5 Minion F WT on the front and a 2.3 Minion R2
on the rear
I run two wheelsets, thinner rims (old stans flow) with 2.3 front and back and
EX511 with 2.5 minion F and 2.4 Minion R2 in WT front and back I switch between
them seamlessly

my old Aggressor ended up in the bin after too many punctures, otherwise it wasn't
a bad tyre
That’s the way I’m leaning. I do a lot of climbing in loose rocky terrain and I’d be concerned with the grip on a Minion SS. Probably go 2.4 and 2.5.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are Pushy’s the best place to buy Maxxis these days? I need to get some stuff from ze Germans but Maxxis is on par with what we pay locally... unlike Schwalbe which is almost half the price!

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That’s the way I’m leaning. I do a lot of climbing in loose rocky terrain and I’d be concerned with the grip on a Minion SS. Probably go 2.4 and 2.5.
I ran a Minion SS for a while it too is now collecting dust, really good for a rolling
tyre with a little side grip but no good at braking going down steeper stuff

Weight> 2.3's f & r for more XC orientated stuff or just razzing still with amazing grip

Grip/Plush> 2.5 f & 2.4 WT where your not overly concerned about rolling

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are Pushy’s the best place to buy Maxxis these days? I need to get some stuff from ze Germans but Maxxis is on par with what we pay locally... unlike Schwalbe which is almost half the price!
stick with Maxxis from a local source, Pu--y's, Mtb---ect or 99 --kes

Flow-Rider

Burner
The minion ss is no good for slow technical climbing unless you run them really flat, the bigger than 2.3 casing might be better but you have the extra weight to deal with on acceleration. Another thing that happens is that side knobs can catch on rocks and ping you around on the rock gardens as you climb them. Great tyre for speed on hardpack or loose over.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
2.3 DHF / Ardent on my carbon 'trail' wheels. Likely to have SS as rear next.

On my mk3 Flow I have just moved from MM/Agressor combo to 2.5/2.3 DHF combo. The 2.5dhf feels a little dead compared to the 2.35 MM but my times tell me it is on pace despite feeling boofy.

I find the ardent surprisingly good as a rear (have injuries to remind me daily why they should never go on the front) and is holding up way better than I ever expected. They don't stop like the agressor or dhf but corner well and roll a heap better.

I buy Maxxis at local shops no dearer than online.

moorey

call me Mia
$45-55 posted for most EXO on TBE. They currently have plenty of cheap 26” back in stock since I went and bought up from Zee Germans.