Maxxis trail tyre combo...

damo666

Likes Dirt
Another ripped Aggressor here - three rides old, on a trail that I have ridden with no issues every weekend for the last 2 years.
Could have been a coincidence, but....

I actually rate the 2.4 Ardent as a rear for a trail bike (NEVER on the front, and NEVER the 2.25 one!). Fast rolling, corner and brake OK.

In saying that, I'll be going back to the reliable old DHR.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are the Maxxis 2.5's in the 'plus' tyre category? Currently run Bontrager XR4 2.4s and wonder if I'll run into frame clearance issues

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
I've been running DHFs front and back on my 160mm bike for a while, and no doubt they're an awesome tyre, but increasingly I was finding they're more tyre than I need for most of the riding I do in Sydney and feeling a bit slow.

So I've switched to Forekaster (F) and Ardent Race (R) and am finding that a really good combo. I know the Forekaster is intended as a mud tyre, but I find it hooks up really well on dry & loose sandstone too. The Ardent Race is surprisingly grippy for an XC tyre and definitely rolls well.

DHFs will be go back on for annual trip to Thredbo, however.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been running DHFs front and back on my 160mm bike for a while, and no doubt they're an awesome tyre, but increasingly I was finding they're more tyre than I need for most of the riding I do in Sydney and feeling a bit slow.

So I've switched to Forekaster (F) and Ardent Race (R) and am finding that a really good combo. I know the Forekaster is intended as a mud tyre, but I find it hooks up really well on dry & loose sandstone too. The Ardent Race is surprisingly grippy for an XC tyre and definitely rolls well.

DHFs will be go back on for annual trip to Thredbo, however.
Firstly - Cheers for the post Chris JC..

Hey bloodpuddle - just checking what size Ardent Race 'rear' you are running - 2.25 or the big boy ? Also are you on a 650B or a 26" ?
Cheers - Rick