POS maybe i have a better bike who knows

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
maybe i have a better bike who knows i dont give a shit what people think
Maybe... but does your bike have a theme song?

[video=youtube;4MD4BPAp4jo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MD4BPAp4jo[/video]

So i have decided it's pretty hard on here to have the nicest bike, and while I do indeed have a few nice bikes, I also wanted a bike that stood out from the crowd a little bit.

A few build issues:

1) To achieve this I have bought a 120mm carbon X/trail bike, thrown a Boxxer on the front, road wheel set and a rubber fist (probably going to have to cut a conventional pole down to slide it on, otherwise it flops all over the place and would be hard to 'find' the saddle again after getting out of the saddle).

2) Another issue is road wheels don't come with disc mounts, so I cabled tied the discs to the spokes. Should be plenty strong, except for delatite runs where the rotors will head up and possibly melt the cable ties.

3) Road QR front wheel and a 20mm boxxer droput, turned out a 135mm rear QR holds the wheel nicely in place, just need a few washes to space it correctly for rotor/caliper alingment.

4) 203mm travel up front and 120mm in the rear (giggidy), basicaly averages out to be 160 front and rear, just like any enduro bike, but mine climbs better due to 120 in the rear and descend better becasue of the boxxer up front.

5) road crankset - probably going to save some weight to keep bike under 7kg by only running a single 53t chainring, while I freely admit this will make climbing challenging, the 23c Rubino tyres roll really nice, this should off set the chain ring size.

5) chain ring clearance, the BB is a very reasonale 14 inches, I'm used to riding 13.4 so clearance should work out to be what I am used to.

6) Biological dropper post, you kind of need to ride pantless to make use of it, which may restrict ride times and places. While it's much cheaper than a conventional dropper post at <$50, it does weigh 2kg, nearly a third of the entire bike. So if your planning on going done this pathway, bare in mind the weight penalty.

7) You really need to pre plan, in regards to what side of the bike to ride the clipless and flat pedal, get it wrong and fun will decrease by 130%

8) Yes I have ridder this down my drive way (out of the saddle)

Frame - 2013 Lapierre x-flow 912 (L)
Rear shock - Fox CTD - probably a POS, will replace with RC4 ti spring
Front shock/fork - Boxxer 2012 R2C2
Handlebars - Answer pro taper 1995 era (upside down to drop the height a bit)
Stem - Pace 130mm
Headset - Lapierrie minus crown race due to short steerer length
Grips - Oury grips
Saddle - None - see seat pole
Seatpost - Rubber fist, AKA biological dropper post, approximately 290mm of drop (depending on personal circumstances / anus room)
Front brake - Formula RO - 203mm Hope rotor
Rear brake - Formula RO - 180mm Hope rotor
Cranks - Ultegra 53/39
Chainguide - Pfft...
Chain - KMC
Pedals - X1 XT trail / X1 DX flat, this will allow awesome foot out cornering for either right or left corners (depending what side the flat is one)
Front derailleur - XT
Rear derailleur - Zee
Rear shifter - Zee
Cassette - XT 11-36
Front hub - Mavic Askium
Rear hub - Mavic Askium
Front rim - Mavic Askium
Rear rim - Mavic Askium
Spokes - bladed ones, with rotors cabled tied to them
Tyres - Vittoria Rubino Pro 23c
Total weight - 6.3 kg

Photo's? yup.

flow1.jpg

flow2.jpg

flow3.jpg

flow4.jpg

flow5.jpg

flow6.jpg

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

That video alone is enough for me to subscribe so that I can see where this thread goes.
The mannequin arm is what really has me interested though.

moorey

call me Mia
Looking good, MWI. One question, have you considered silastic to attach rotors? I can't help thinking zip ties are a bad idea.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
That video alone is enough for me to subscribe so that I can see where this thread goes.
The mannequin arm is what really has me interested though.
You could always go down and do the Annulus circuit and try out the real thing.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was concerned at the braking duties being handled just by cable ties but fencing wire is where it's at. Nice to see a new standard in seat posts, the brown standard.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
What diameter is your dropper post?
Askium wheels are rubbish man. Get some Racing Zeros or Zondas asap. Maybe go tubular, Cul uses them full time and swears by them.
If your running a single ring up front why do you need an XT dérailleur? Get your shit together. You could drop 200-300 grams loosing front mech and shifter which will drop it under 6kg if you weigh it on Chop's scales.

moorey

call me Mia
Now come on silicone was a stupid alternative, no way that is compatible with the propane filled tyres. Anyway we are only talking a couple of metres of wire.
I don't like where this thread is going. Bike will end up a dogs breakfast.
I wash my hands, you're all dead to me. Unsubscribe.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i can't wait for Giant to release their 2016 version.

this is not a bike the people want, this is a bike the people need.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Rotorburners everywhere, be warned. This is a direct result of how the mind can wander when faced with time off the bike due to injury. Get well soon mate, for everyone's sake!

I think you need to post in the garage sale section to clear out your excess parts to avoid the temptation to keep going with this stead.

Here's a fundraising opportunity to finish the build, rotorburners chipping in to see a vid of MWI riding this in various highly populated areas of Melbourne, taking it in for a service, locking it up outside coffee shops, in front of primary schools etc. Whilst wearing bondage attire. Dare him....he will do it

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'm guessing MWI is now heavily addicted to Endone and is scoffing them like Tic-Tac's.

No-Thanks for that video, that shit just cannot be unseen. Keep your home video's to home next time.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm guessing MWI is now heavily addicted to Endone and is scoffing them like Tic-Tac's.

No-Thanks for that video, that shit just cannot be unseen. Keep your home video's to home next time.
Yeah, well, at least you didn't click on other Vids by Tonetta. You dodged a bullet, I was hit in the face from point blank by an RPG. :fear:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Needs a set of eccentric wheels....

[video=youtube_share;Hq1QYl4nm3E]http://youtu.be/Hq1QYl4nm3E[/video]