Maydena Bike Park

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I notice it’s his wife having a complain and he’s keeping quiet. Poor bugger.
Its all sweet until 'dad' ends up a paraplegic then the family goes after anyone they can blame for the accident... hopefully it all gets sorted out. Sad this shit goes on when we as riders make the choice and take the risks... the world is getting worse.

I'll have the kids and myself well protected (as much as we can) before the Jan Tassie trip, even contemplating getting them Bell Super 3R's or similar.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Had a chat with a few of their guys when I was up there about accidents, and they noted that there have been statistically no more than any other dedicated bike park. To be honest if you are going to kapow yourself Maydena is a pretty good place to do it, as there's a paramedic on site, well signed emergency access points throughout the network and a good proximity to a hospital. Bin it in Derby and there'll be all sorts of fun as it's much more isolated, and has trails way out in the boonies with no emergency access or phone reception.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
I'll have the kids and myself well protected (as much as we can) before the Jan Tassie trip, even contemplating getting them Bell Super 3R's or similar.
Personally I won't ride Maydena without a full face...I bought a Bell Super 3R leading up to the opening and haven't regret it at all... 4 seperate ride days under my belt and 2 decent falls personally, let alone a handful I've seen nursing basic injuries :/ I believe they had another collarbone on the week just gone not far into OTT...

Plenty of visiting riders I've spoken to about the helmet situation are surprised Maydena haven't yet enforced a full face helmet clause...especially of late with the rain/mud/trail wear...pandani and tea trees have both been particularly nasty in spots for a blue trail...

Either way you can't go wrong with a super 3r or fox proframe

Delazy

Got a new bike!
To be honest if you are going to kapow yourself Maydena is a pretty good place to do it, as there's a paramedic on site, well signed emergency access points throughout the network and a good proximity to a hospital. Bin it in Derby and there'll be all sorts of fun as it's much more isolated, and has trails way out in the boonies with no emergency access or phone reception.
Let alone Maydena is relatively high traffic in comparison to Derby...especially mid week...

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I notice it’s his wife having a complain and he’s keeping quiet. Poor bugger.
Probably went through more pain beforehand just trying to get the wife to let him go!
But yeah, poor dude ... but we all know the risks and up to us to gear up accordingly and pick trails we can manage.

Plenty of visiting riders I've spoken to about the helmet situation are surprised Maydena haven't yet enforced a full face helmet clause...especially of late with the rain/mud/trail wear...pandani and tea trees have both been particularly nasty in spots for a blue trail...
Yeah full face there without a second thought. I suspect the only thing stopping the mandatory need is the climbing trail to green loop.
The top section is pretty rocky and gets a bit loose in the wet when the mud builds up. Harder than your everyday blue trails, but compared to everything else there, blue is a good fit.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Personally I won't ride Maydena without a full face...I bought a Bell Super 3R leading up to the opening and haven't regret it at all... 4 seperate ride days under my belt and 2 decent falls personally, let alone a handful I've seen nursing basic injuries :/ I believe they had another collarbone on the week just gone not far into OTT...

Cheers ! Yeah I get a bit paranoid about my lil blokes, both very capable riders and will slow down on techy stuff they dont know but sometimes just belt a jump without the thought of where they will land. Its an expensive buy for 3 helmets but a small price to pay if one crashes and the helmet stops a facial injury.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Mate put a video together of our Labour day weekend Maydena trip.

Most stacks are compliments of yours truly. Enjoy!

Great vid!

I really liked the rear-facing camera shots.

Looked crazy slippery in some sections huh?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

I just ordered a Proframe for Maydena....and 'coz I ride alone a lot anyway.

Big question is, are goggles mandatory?...or overkill?
...when I already use some really nice tinted Uvex glasses that I ride with my OF helmet...

Delazy

Got a new bike!
I just ordered a Proframe for Maydena....and 'coz I ride alone a lot anyway.

Big question is, are goggles mandatory?...or overkill?
...when I already use some really nice tinted Uvex glasses that I ride with my OF helmet...

ill jump in and answer this one too haha...they definitely arent mandatory

i loathe googles...like actually proper dislike wearing them...i bought some 12 months ago and they stayed in the box untouched until maydena popped up...

i much prefer riding with sunglasses usually poc do blade reps or adidas evil eye pro but after the first ride day at maydena ive worn goggles since...when its wet its muddy and when its dry its a dust pit...

tbh a large majority of people i see riding are all wearing goggles...

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Great vid!

I really liked the rear-facing camera shots.

Looked crazy slippery in some sections huh?

Same here, they came out really smooth. Yeah some steep sections were just pure slick haha. In some of the stack footage you'll see the front tyre just being clogged with mud. I wasn't going fast enough for it to clear! ha
100% use goggles at Maydena. You don't want dust or mud flicking up. 100% ones are pretty cheap, just gotta let them vent a bit when you're stationary otherwise they fog up.

that's a really cool vid sir. looks like an amazing trip with mates. Big smiles from this end.
Thanks! yeah was a blast ... looking forward to going back and seeing all the new trails

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks! yeah was a blast ... looking forward to going back and seeing all the new trails
Nice footage matey!

When are the new trails planned to be made and are there any sources online in regards to the planning stages of Maydena?

rstim

Likes Dirt
Nice footage matey!

When are the new trails planned to be made and are there any sources online in regards to the planning stages of Maydena?
They are releasing them as they are ready, best place to find out info is on their Facebook page pretty sure I saw a post today that they opened a new trail very recently. I think that makes 2 new trails since open day.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Great vid, I was there that weekend too and it was a blast. That vid is a bit like a souvenir video!
It was crazy muddy and slick on the Monday. I remember a couple of trails were basically a brakes locked on controlled skid all the way down the hill. OTT was nuts.
The hire bikes come with the stock Minion SS on the rear which are woefully inadequate for those trails but they were actually fun. Drift City.

My glasses got lost on the Sunday so I had none for the muddy Monday. Spent a bit of time riding down the hill with one eye! Other one full of mud.

Such a great place Maydena.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
If you're landing in Hobart in November I'd suggest Maydena.

Should be drier than the slop fest I hear it is currently, and it's only an hour or so away from the city.

Derby is great, but a LOT of pedalling, and you'd be best to fly into Launceston.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Yeah since you're landing in Hobart then Maydena for sure. Derby is quite a trek from there.

Plus if you get a semi from air, steepness and no pedalling then Maydena.

A lot of weather proofing going on there plus a new trail every month.