McFlow trails and the decreasing diversity of trails

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Too wide??!

Any thinner and it'd be no more than a wheel rut!

I'd be more than happy to ride that.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Too wide??!

Any thinner and it'd be no more than a wheel rut!

I'd be more than happy to ride that.
as someone who rides that trail most weekends, it sure as fuck is not too wide. if anything, i find it a bit narrow at times! the gopro wide angle footage makes it appear wider than it is as well.
i'm terrified of leaning too far over in fear of smashing my head on something close by... was only 2 weeks ago i attacked a tree after taking a corner with too much speed.

that said, i'm a big fan of the updated version of Three Hills, it's my go-to track.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
If you haven't made some woohoo sounds at the end of that, sell your bike, and go hang out at whirpool[/QUOTE]

+1 to that boy
so if most of us,that haven't ridden it like the look of it, who are the blowhards that don't ?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
If you haven't made some woohoo sounds at the end of that, sell your bike, and go hang out at whirpool
+1 to that boy
so if most of us,that haven't ridden it like the look of it, who are the blowhards that don't ?[/QUOTE]

I`d have to make the woohoo sounds at least ten minutes after riding that . When you get track like that you have to pin it ! I feel a QLD trip coming on this year .

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you haven't made some woohoo sounds at the end of that, sell your bike, and go hang out at whirpool
+1 to that boy
so if most of us,that haven't ridden it like the look of it, who are the blowhards that don't ?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem like a fine mix of whining wet weather riders who never help maintain trail and a bunch of zombies with too much butt crack stained lycra lodged in their brain.

Both groups will be out riding tomorrow morning because the rain stopped tonight. It shouldn't be a problem for them to make new ride arounds past the trees that fall tonight at the end of this weather bomb. The wind has been howling here since the heavy rain stopped about an hour ago. I'm about 6k from that trail as the bike flies. About 150+mm of rain fell today. Let's hope the track is stable and riding well in a week from now. It's had practice with about 5 other rain events like this or bigger (a couple a lot bigger) since it opened, but even the rockiest bits have layers of clay and places where water flows below the surface, making the tread swell for many days after the rain stops. With luck they will use the fire roads to get above the least rocky section near the bottom.

It is a good trail, up as well as down. It gets you out to the older trails pretty fast with a good climb and some good views. You can see other riders in time to make room or slow up and at max or reduced speed there are fun lines off the narrowest strip most people never notice. Twas a blast on Wednesday arvo.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
That is an awesome fun track and that video does not do the trail surface justice...the bulk of the first 6.30 mins is rocky...like 50-100mm sharp rocks...everywhere... This was huge fun but just about rattled my teeth out on the hardtail a few weeks ago...from 6.30 it picks up speed, the rocks are gone, the soil changes to something with a bit more clay (?) and with heaps of bite and the bike just runs away... All those doubles and the table tops between the trees were awesome...so funny when I was riding there, some young guys were pushing up this section to do repeat runs on DH bikes...and this old fart was chasing them down on a norco 125 with 120mm travel hardtail.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as someone who rides that trail most weekends, it sure as fuck is not too wide. if anything, i find it a bit narrow at times! the gopro wide angle footage makes it appear wider than it is as well.
i'm terrified of leaning too far over in fear of smashing my head on something close by... was only 2 weeks ago i attacked a tree after taking a corner with too much speed.

that said, i'm a big fan of the updated version of Three Hills, it's my go-to track.
Yeah...nah, I'm going to call three hills a wide-ish track! Don't get me wrong I still
like the thing but she's far from skinny, I'm going to call parts of Bailey's and Vertigo Skinny!!
The first 80% of three hills is moderately rocky with some short pinch climbs (in rocks) the
last bit is all killer, getting all the jumps dialed after 5mins of pure teeth rattling deffinently
gets the woohoo's and hellyeah's going;)

EdMan

Squid
Great thread, for the most part. Up here I tend to travel between our 3 main riding areas to ride different styles of trail. Atherton is pretty flowy but it is great for it and there is plenty of trickier corners too. Davies Creek is bush tracks with a bit of machine-cut stuff up the top.. great for racking up some easy (but still fun) kilometres in the middle of nowhere. Smithfield, my local area, is the definition of hand-built, technical singletrack. I sometimes wish I had a better bike than my 8 year old hardtail but then I wonder how that would change my experience of the trails I ride. Bikes are getting better and that probably makes some of the newer style trails pretty easy to ride. I guess these trails are built for everyone but no one is ever going to have the same experience.

Maybe I'll get a new bike one day but for now I thank those that that put the trails in for us and run what I brung, no matter the trail :)

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
"Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem like a fine mix of whining wet weather riders who never help maintain trail and a bunch of zombies with too much butt crack stained lycra lodged in their brain"
im guessing you don't have to much time for them :heh:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem like a fine mix of whining wet weather riders who never help maintain trail and a bunch of zombies with too much butt crack stained lycra lodged in their brain"
im guessing you don't have to much time for them :heh:
Oh no no no. I love all riders. I just don't let that get in the way of fact. Think of it like this. Kim Kardashian is a tasteless scrag with a big arse, but there's still some drool to be offered.

frug

Likes Bikes
********* February Trail Maintenance Day *********

Hi all.

The next trail maintenance day is on the first weekend in Feb.

Face Book Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/206970626442505/

I know I've said it before, but this weekend should see the last weekend of constructing Hey Hey My My, before it is opened.

Day 1. (Saturday 2nd Feb)
Time: 9:30am
Place: Cnr Crusher Track and Old Warburton Road, Wesburn.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SZpNDhJ2bf92

With only one section of trail to finish, the light is getting brighter!
We've got to bentch out the final section of the desent and that's about it.

With a good showing, this trail will be finished and we can work on getting it officially opened!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2 (Sunday 3rd Feb)
Time:9:30am
Place: Cnr Crusher Track and Old Warburton Road, Wesburn.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SZpNDhJ2bf92

With any luck Hey Hey My My will be finished and we can work on the other 2 trails. Show up here and we'll go from there.

Non-YRMTB members are more than welcome!!

You don't have to be out for the whole day, even if you can spare a few hours, that's a great help!!

Bring: Shovels, nail rakes, mattocks, picks, chain saw (with qualifications), Personal Protection Equipment, Rake Hoes, FOOD and WATER. YRMTB will supply PPE if you don't have any.

These trails are the most unique trails around and will satisfy any mountain bikers apatite for adrenaline!

The last maintenance day turnout was amazing and we'll need those similar numbers to get this trail ticked off by DELWP so everyone can have a Summer of awesome LEGAL mountain biking here in Warburton!!

Really hope to see you all there!!

Doug
YRMTB Secretary