McKayos 2018

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So this piqued my interest last year but I couldn't make it, I made sure none of my friends were getting married on the date this year so I'm heading up.

www.mckayos.com.au

Is anyone else going up the mountain for a play this year?

Has anyone done it in the past and want to relay some tips? (Ie. Dress warm, don't eat the yellow snow)

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Go

Likes Dirt
Funnily enough, I just stumbled upon it.
Trying to get a crew together as I type this

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Knuckles, what's the low down? Fun? Worth the 5 hour drive for a wee little ride?

Looks fuggin ace in the videos I've seen...
Funnily enough, I just stumbled upon it.
Trying to get a crew together as I type this

I don't know another soul going yet, so let me know if you end up grabbing a ticket so I can walk around like an idiot yelling out your screen name

Go

Likes Dirt
Just paid my entry fee!

We shall be the idiots calling each other screen names out!

At least it will be easy to find you

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So shits gone a little south this week, Ive been clinging to the hope that I'd make it up still but I can't get there

Super late notice I know, but if anyone wants my entry, hit me up. Yours for nothing, just don't want to see it go to waste...

Go

Likes Dirt
So, here's a quick summary of the race today.

First thing, the weather gods smiled on us today. Perfect blue skies and zero wind made for a nice warm wait at the top before the chaos started.

But unfortunately due to the awesome weather, the snow softened rather quick and made for a tricky start.

I placed myself on the second row and got a good jump placing me in the top 30-40.
Unfortunately 23 metres into the race, someone in front crashed and I had to stop to not hit them and go around watching a wave of 200+ riders go by.
Having never ridden in the snow before, I took it a bit easy trying to not stack it and lose more positions.
Sloy but surely started picking riders up as I learnt how to ride soft snow on the fly.

Imagine deep mud. That's what it felt like. Pretty much gotta keep feet up and let the bike do it's thing and weight the front a bit more.

Out of the snow and into the singletrack.
Traffic was moving well enough until a couple of tight turns where it got to a full stop and then again when the little bit of climbing in the single track started.
Can be a but frustrating because passing is hard in the tight trails but it is what it is.
(Will aim for first row next year)
After the single track we climbed a bit of fire track for about 5-8 minutes. Training through winter paid off as I made a lot of positions in this section.
After that it's basically all white knuckled fire road downhill!! Go for your life trying to not die in the blind corners or hitting a loose rock.
It wasn't rough by any means but by now you've been on the rev limiter for about 20 minutes and everything seems more challenging when your tongue is getting caught on your spokes and you're doing 60kph on unknown tracks.
I only lost one position from the end of the snow til the river crossing and managed to pick riders up all the way.
Las k or so is quite tight and caught up to a group of 6 or so riders but couldn't get past them as the trail is to narrow.
Finish line sprint saw me tie for 40th place with the dude that passed my earlier. Needles to say we where both nearly vomiting and had not time to smile/wheelie/wave across the finish line.

Awesome event, run super smooth and the free lunch and beer by the lake at the end of it all was the icing in the cake.

It may seem short in duration but after you finish you're happy it didn't go for much longer.
Definitely a physical event and getting into the single track in the top 30 off the start is a must for a good finish.

Ended up tied in time for 40th. Timing has me as 41st overall out of 250+ riders and 13th in under 40's

Def will try again.

Cheers