Melbourne Burners post Covid meetup - Silvan - Sat 13th June

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Little bit of rain forecast over this weekend then nice for Mon - Wed. So fingers crossed Thurs - Sat will be similar.

I got caught out with it very slippery a couple of weeks ago, but the week after it was back to mint after only 3 dry days. But there will be a couple of trails we'll have to keep an eye on. Most of the northern trails dry out surprisingly quickly. But JJ's and Bottlecaps could be write-offs.

teK--

Eats Squid
Little bit of rain forecast over this weekend then nice for Mon - Wed. So fingers crossed Thurs - Sat will be similar.

I got caught out with it very slippery a couple of weeks ago, but the week after it was back to mint after only 3 dry days. But there will be a couple of trails we'll have to keep an eye on. Most of the northern trails dry out surprisingly quickly. But JJ's and Bottlecaps could be write-offs.
Fingers crossed!

We rode bottle caps the other week at sunset after a bit of rain that week. Reminds me of going down one of those waterslides where you see no daylight

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Personally I think the most bang for buck to get out of our climbs would be one of the two routes:
1. Park at Olinda Creek Rd and do 4-5x LyreLyre laps.
One of the top 2 trails there but has the most variety of features (small doubles, drops, steep sections and berms, plus B line around all) so would likely appeal to all. Plus we can stop and session some of them and connect it all together. Cruisy fireroad up. Very bang for buck return on climbing.
Then we'll drive back to footy field to meet the rest of the burners.
or
2. Footy field, 2x To the Valley Below (not really any features, but long and fast enduro style trail), 2x Igor/HTF/No Strava (wooden gaps and drops mostly), Lower Bottlecaps (slippery heaven connection to car park).
Switchback singletrack climbs up and some fire road.

Guys in second group, let me know what you'd prefer
hakon anyone reply? option2 good? if lyre lyre wet

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
tkdbboy said:
Personally I think the most bang for buck to get out of our climbs would be one of the two routes:
1. Park at Olinda Creek Rd and do 4-5x LyreLyre laps.
One of the top 2 trails there but has the most variety of features (small doubles, drops, steep sections and berms, plus B line around all) so would likely appeal to all. Plus we can stop and session some of them and connect it all together. Cruisy fireroad up. Very bang for buck return on climbing.
Then we'll drive back to footy field to meet the rest of the burners.
or
2. Footy field, 2x To the Valley Below (not really any features, but long and fast enduro style trail), 2x Igor/HTF/No Strava (wooden gaps and drops mostly), Lower Bottlecaps (slippery heaven connection to car park).
Switchback singletrack climbs up and some fire road.

Guys in second group, let me know what you'd prefer
Any chance on a combination of those 2? Not sure how viable that would be, but not getting to ride there very often it'd be good to experience a wider variety of the trails.

Maybe 2-3 Lyre Lyre then to the footy field to the others?

Like I said, not sure on the logistics, but throwing it out there...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess it depends on what type of riding the crowd want.
My advice would be not to ride multiples of one track, but I can ride in there any time.

Lyre Lyre is a decent track, but I wouldn’t want to ride it 4-5 times in a row - it’s not that good and 4-5 times up the climb will start to hurt most.

Same situation with Igor/Huck to Flat and To The Valley. There’s a fair whack of climbing in that.

It might be worth riding up to the top of Inverness Road to begin and ride a combo of True Grit, Top Gun(Truthiness), JJ’s and To The Valley or Igor to finish. Will be plenty of climbing but no repeating.
You could add in Lyre Lyre after JJ’s to add another descent if time/fitness permit but it will test people that don’t climb often.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
If it’s wet that rear won’t help you at all. If it’s tacky you will be a God.
Banking on that...but the god bit though. Unless Sam rides my bike with the tyres, being his weapon of choice. These are the actual tyres Felix rode to a podium at a damp Maydena Nationals, so I figure they’ve been trained up.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Banking on that...but the god bit though. Unless Sam rides my bike with the tyres, being his weapon of choice. These are the actual tyres Felix rode to a podium at a damp Maydena Nationals, so I figure they’ve been trained up.
Ok. Forget God. He sux. How about Dog then?
I’m sure Felix could have ridden Hookworms to the podium!

But they are a great tire. Just wish they weren’t so damn expensive and elusive.