Melbourne Burners post Covid meetup - Silvan - Sat 13th June

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going to have to give up my spot @Chriso_29er. Got something on the Saturday I cant get out of. Shame as I was looking forward to putting some faces to Internet personalities.
Thanks for organising it!
If you organise another one make it for a 7am start on a Sunday. :p
Bummer mate, thanks for letting me know. Will have to catch you out here another time!

Revised list
Opens a spot in the 500m Group for anyone interested.
@wozza and @moorey , both now in 1000m group :)

Group 1 - 1000m vert+
Chriso_29er - Chris
teK-- - Jim
Moorey
Felix
Plankosaurus - Dale
Yuley95 - Andrew
SlowMick -
MattyP- Tentitive
wozza - Damo
leitch - Andrew
Group full

Group 2 - 500m vert
tkdbboy - Hakan
wkkie - Wayne
wkkie + 1 - Kyle
Boom King - Andrew
link1896 - Mark
danncam - Campbell
Kip01- tas
Kip01+1- Ryan
smitho- Ollie
One spot remaining 500m group

Backup list:

Cheers

kip01

Likes Dirt
This is my core loop: https://www.strava.com/activities/3457589903

Park at the carpark on the left after Silvan Reservoir just where the road turns to dirt (called "Grey Gum Carpark" on Google). Take Delta 4 across to Olinda Creek Road then up the trails/fire road to the top which is a good warmup of about 220m climbing. Ride Lyre Lyre, do another lap if you want because it's great, then back across to JJs - climb/descend/climb and fireroad link across to the top of Twisted Sister from where you can choose a number of descents, but Temple of Zoom, To the Valley Below and Igor are the preferred options. Take either Bakers Dozen-Twisted Sister climb back up (if riding ToZ) or the new Covid Climb + fire roads if riding Valley or Igor. Do as many loops as your legs/timetable allows and then either take another JJs descent or the bottom fire road back to the car.

Expect it to be pretty slippery after this week's rain.
Thanks for that ended up having some 11 year old Shredder show us around, lyre lyre was very wet but the other side around Igor was actually ok just some puddles here and there, definitely need a good set of legs for this place

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that ended up having some 11 year old Shredder show us around, lyre lyre was very wet but the other side around Igor was actually ok just some puddles here and there, definitely need a good set of legs for this place
I heard a couple of the trails were like ice today!
I'll be out tomorrow morning to see for myself.

kip01

Likes Dirt
Did my first Red Hill spin in two months today, and damn, the body's forgotten how to climb! :( So for now I'm going on...

Backup list:
The Duckmeister - Duck (no one uses my real name outside work!)
I thought the wombat climb was hard until I rode Silvan:oops:

moorey

call me Mia
Did my first Red Hill spin in two months today, and damn, the body's forgotten how to climb! :( So for now I'm going on...

Backup list:
Come on Anthony...you’re 10x fitter than the fit me when you’re unfit.

moorey

call me Mia

Backup list:
Actually, stay on the 500. You’ve seen me cramp more than enough times.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
So trialled a 500m one I had in mind but have never done before. I usually stick to one area and lap the main trails there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3528744172

After 5ish dry days, JJs was veeery slippy, LyreLyre was a bit wetter than tacky and Igor/H2F was running great.
Forecast has rain Mon, Tues and Weds so I imagine they'd run a bit more wet.

Only got 3 descending trails in due to transitioning between the areas.

Personally I think the most bang for buck to get out of our climbs would be one of the two routes:
1. Park at Olinda Creek Rd and do 4-5x LyreLyre laps.
One of the top 2 trails there but has the most variety of features (small doubles, drops, steep sections and berms, plus B line around all) so would likely appeal to all. Plus we can stop and session some of them and connect it all together. Cruisy fireroad up. Very bang for buck return on climbing.
Then we'll drive back to footy field to meet the rest of the burners.

or

2. Footy field, 2x To the Valley Below (not really any features, but long and fast enduro style trail), 2x Igor/HTF/No Strava (wooden gaps and drops mostly), Lower Bottlecaps (slippery heaven connection to car park).
Switchback singletrack climbs up and some fire road.

Both also let us stay not too far away from the cars incase someone has an off or mechanical.

Guys in second group, let me know what you'd prefer

kip01

Likes Dirt
Is there another name for bottlecaps can't seem to find it on trail forks or is that true grit link? Any directions would be sweet heading out tomorrow

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Drop in from the junction of Inverness Rd and Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, on Trailforks this is the “Inverness-true grit link” which runs to a fork at a steepish log roll thing. True Grit goes to the right and Bottlecaps to the left.

edit for Strava segment: https://strava.app.link/bpyx6HjOS6