Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lysterfield

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Somewhere else...

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Black is fine, I do ride the blacks and sanctioned double blacks in WA, blacks at Derby were also generally fine. As someone noted it all depends on who is doing the grading I think there was a green at Maydena that was as steep as a good deal of blacks here. Just prefer something where the flow isn't dependent on massive bunny hops through big rock gardens.
I rekon youies is on the rockier side of things compared to harcourt or buxton. Another option is lake mountain - just the second lower half. THe top is a bit more rocky.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Relocating to Melbourne soon. Thought I'll resurrect this thread. Any additions worth doing to the choices in the votes for the weekend riding? Also any recommendations for a quickie morning/evening ride weekdays riding during the week? Will be based in the east - haven't decided on a place yet.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Relocating to Melbourne soon. Thought I'll resurrect this thread. Any additions worth doing to the choices in the votes for the weekend riding? Also any recommendations for a quickie morning/evening ride weekdays riding during the week? Will be based in the east - haven't decided on a place yet.
Was going to tag you @Chriso_29er, you're on it :cool:

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Where abouts will you be?
Add Smiths gully for a good fitness ride. Proper old school natural techy trail riding.
Lots of new spots have sprung up down Gippsland way east of Melbourne. Haunted hills, Maryvale pines, Somewhere good.
Thanks for the recommendation!

We haven't decided on which area to live in yet, but thinking maybe somewhere around the Ferntree gully, Belgrave, or Kallista area. We're trying to find somewhere more bush and close to some trails so I can do a quick ride before/after work, but not too far from the Parkville area where I'll be working. Was told by an ex-melburnian to avoid the north (e.g. south morang or suburbs around plenty gorge area) and west as they're not as safe (true story or just bs?).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

We haven't decided on which area to live in yet, but thinking maybe somewhere around the Ferntree gully, Belgrave, or Kallista area. We're trying to find somewhere more bush and close to some trails so I can do a quick ride before/after work, but not too far from the Parkville area where I'll be working. Was told by an ex-melburnian to avoid the north (e.g. south morang or suburbs around plenty gorge area) and west as they're not as safe (true story or just bs?).
The whole city is full of pretentiousness and a class system. Safer to stay in Sydney where no one gives a shit.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
The whole city is full of pretentiousness and a class system. Safer to stay in Sydney where no one gives a shit.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
that's exactly what my friend told me. Tried my best to just stay in Sydney, but work takes me to Melbourne. Not much I can do there.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Unless something has changed in recent years, north eastern suburbs like Greensborough, Eltham, Warrandyte are nice suburbs. Used to be full of old bogans and Hippies (no different to Ferntree Gully, Belgrave, Kallista), never felt unsafe around those areas.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

FTG, Belgrave and Kallista are definitely not close to Parkville.

Youd be too far from Silvan for a ‘quick’ morning ride and would likely be at Lysterfield - whether that suits is entirely up to you

gippyz

Likes Dirt
FTG, Belgrave and Kallista are definitely not close to Parkville.

Youd be too far from Silvan for a ‘quick’ morning ride and would likely be at Lysterfield - whether that suits is entirely up to you
Yeah definitely not close, but if I'm to get anywhere that's close to Parkville, I'll be in concrete jungle. Either commuting distance or lifestyle has to give way unfortunately. After living in a concrete jungle and hoon area over the past decade, with 1 hour commute each way to work by bike or PT, we're dying for a change.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah definitely not close, but if I'm to get anywhere that's close to Parkville, I'll be in concrete jungle. Either commuting distance or lifestyle has to give way unfortunately. After living in a concrete jungle and hoon area over the past decade, with 1 hour commute each way to work by bike or PT, we're dying for a change.
I think @fjohn860 suggestion would be worth proper investigation.
Warrandyte is probably the closest proper bush area within semi-respectable distance of the city.

You can happily ride around in the State Forest, Yarra Trails, Smith's Gully or have the option of Plenty Gorge and Silvan within half an hour

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I think @fjohn860 suggestion would be worth proper investigation.
Warrandyte is probably the closest proper bush area within semi-respectable distance of the city.

You can happily ride around in the State Forest, Yarra Trails, Smith's Gully or have the option of Plenty Gorge and Silvan within half an hour
Hurstbidge is worth a shout too if you need the convenience of public transport.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Cheers @fjohn860 @Chriso_29er @caad9 for the suggestions. We haven't locked in any area just yet. Lots to think about. Thankfully, my new boss is very flexible and allows me to dictate my hours and do 1-2 days fhm. So we will definitely be sacrificing my commuting distance and prioritise lifestyle.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sometimes I wish I was a little closer to spots like the youies or Harcourt.
But being where I am in the outer east does give a good variety of options.
15min to Silvan
20min to Hans loop / Yarra trails
25min to either Lysterfield or Smith's Gully
30min to Warburton / Hey Hey My My
45min to Plenty Gorge
1hr to Redhill, Buxton or Lake Mountain
Then between 1-2hrs for the Gippsland spots, You yangs, Harcourt, Maldon, Eildon.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
15min to Silvan
45min to Plenty Gorge
Then between 1-2hrs for the Gippsland spots, You yangs, Harcourt, Maldon, Eildon.
That's a good mix, particularly being 15 minutes from Silvan. I'd love that for the 4 months of the year it's dry enough to ride there ;)

Lysterfield is on the way to Red Hill for me on the M3, so I tend to just keep going.... would be keen to see more trails go in there though.

I can ride to Hans Loop from my place along the YTs but it's a 50km+ return trip, so I'm pretty binned by hometime.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
15min to Silvan
45min to Plenty Gorge
And closer to the Alpine spots. It took me almost 5 hours each way to Bright the other day from the other side of Geelong.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
15min to Silvan
45min to Plenty Gorge
Nah fuckin youies gets old pretty quickly, esp when it’s dry. Harcourt is alright but still 75min from the Westside. After living here for the last 6 months I think east side would be best for quick access to riding.