Melbourne not so oldfart newbie

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If you message or email them to yourself your phone will probably give you the option to resize. Then use the one you sent yourself.

or there are apps and hosting sites if you want to be more particular about what you’re doing.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Funny thing is in the late 90's, I could right programs to build database collection etc. Now I need to learn how to resize photos on my phone to post them.
Welcome mate, we're all old farts here. But I'm still year younger than you :p
If I'm posting from phone, I find easiest to take a screenshot of your photo. Will then be small enough to post.

moorey

call me Mia
Welcome mate, we're all old farts here. But I'm still year younger than you :p
If I'm posting from phone, I find easiest to take a screenshot of your photo. Will then be small enough to post.
On an iPhone, click on a picture.
Click ‘show selected’
Click on ‘actual size’
Click on ‘large’ or ‘medium’. Large works.

safreek

Yeah, we sent most of our anti vaxers up there. Do you want some more?
Send them up. Maybe Victorians have changed over the years but all of them I have worked for at Byron have been very pleasant.
In the old days they were all like moorey, eeew

moorey

call me Mia
Send them up. Maybe Victorians have changed over the years but all of them I have worked for at Byron have been very pleasant.
In the old days they were all like moorey, eeew
They are/were my inlaws. Fuck those guys.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If you message or email them to yourself your phone will probably give you the option to resize. Then use the one you sent yourself.

or there are apps and hosting sites if you want to be more particular about what you’re doing.
Right click on the photo and 'open with paint', then use the resize button, usually around 60% does the job.

Problem is a good looking photo with nice detail at 5-6mb then looks like it was taken using a potato when reduced down under 2mb.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Problem is a good looking photo with nice detail at 5-6mb then looks like it was taken using a potato when reduced down under 2mb.
That really shouldn't happen. If you reduce an image down to, let's say 1200px wide from whatever the phone takes it at, image quality should still be good even below 1mb.

I mean it does depend on what the photo is of, if you're looking for some nice shadow detail on a shot of a forest it's going to be a losing battle, but images of bikes etc should be more than fine.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Most of this is due to poor quality compression algorithms rather than file size though. Paint/Windows Image Viewer/Editor image resizing functions are very "lossy" - ie: they sacrifice a lot of fine detail to keep file size to a minimum. Even if you keep the resolution large they still often look like shit because they're simplifying the image details so there's less details for the compression algorithm to have to write into the file. But if you jump into Photoshop (if you have it) and play with different compression algorithms in the "Image Size" function. You'll see some subtle variations between different compression processes and their outputs, but (IMO) a smaller resolution image at a higher quality presents better than a high resolution image with pox details.

2MB is adequate for forum browsing IMO too. Not everyone wants to see your/my/moorey's blue-butt image, and image hosting costs site hosts money. If you want to link something higher-res and quality you can always do it from Flickr or similar where it doesn't cost @Dozer (or whoever it is that actually pays the bills to host this site) money.

EDIT: Damn you @Tubbsy!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
See here for image hosting issues:

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I just use paint as its easy.

Years back I had a few photobucket accounts as the old MTBR format required external hosting, now MTBR takes full res phone photos.

Yeah a bit of laziness but it would just be nice to occasionally upload a ride photo in full size and detail.

Potatofying... I like that word :D

moorey

call me Mia
Screenshot seems to work! This is the Stab hoping VicDH will do a retro class this season. Or I'll just run one of the vet or masters.
View attachment 381907
I'll see you there. VDHS won't do vintage any time soon. Lobbied for years to have more than just Elite for women, despite 20+ women usually entering, and many being 12-15yo. They've just been forced by AusCycling to make more female categories, but unless Shane decides to race an old bike, it won't happen. I'll keep the 222 ready jusy in case though.