Melbourne riders

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
Hey guys and girls
I'm pretty new to the area and want to try some trails a little further afield
I regularly ride Red hill and Lysty but am looking at either You Yangs, Woodend or Buxton or ???
Which of those would be the pick for some good technical riding with some decent features and also the ability to cover some k's??
Or even if I could get a brief rundown of each, that would be much appreciated.
Cheers

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What the hell is it with all the "where are the trailz guyz" threads popping up in General Discussion??! I've moved like four this week.

How is finding trails in a very specific part of a whole continent considered general discussion??!

The Watering Hole, people. There's a whole section of the website dedicated to these threads.

Please, learn the website before you post new threads.

grayzeee

Likes Bikes
Man, I breezed down the forum list but I just missed the little bitty sub forum writing.
Sorry (back to opticians)

Twelve

Likes Dirt
Haven't had much experience anywhere but Woodend for XC as I grew up riding there, the wombat is always a good option for what you're after.

Tight trails that are well-maintained, best at this time of the year IMO. I'm only just getting back into it again after a few years off the bike and cannot wait to go back.

A lot of flow and big gully's with a lot of miles to be covered, pretty interesting riding throughout with good technical areas. There's a lot of discussion on here, would highly recommend.

There's some old trails around the bottom of Mt Macedon although were in rough shape the last time I was there (years ago), I can imagine they are basically non-existent now. There USED to be a small group of trails in the pine plantation at the bottom of the mountain, although it has been logged recently.

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Out of the locations you listed...

You Yangs will give you the best for tech riding. Lots of rocks and shit littered everywhere, big boulders, rock gardens, etc.
Woodend if you love climbing, with mini descents that aren't even worth all the effort. MTB for roadies.
Buxton for lots of gentle climbs with a handful of fast, flowy, berm-heavy descents.

What kind of bike(s) are you riding?

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Hey guys and girls
I'm pretty new to the area and want to try some trails a little further afield
I regularly ride Red hill and Lysty but am looking at either You Yangs, Woodend or Buxton or ???
Which of those would be the pick for some good technical riding with some decent features and also the ability to cover some k's??
Or even if I could get a brief rundown of each, that would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Go to BUXTON

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Buxton for a great track and lots of k's if you do multiple laps.

Wombat excellent single track and easy to do 50k

Youies, I always struggle to do a big ride their.The technical is better but you can easy rack up 30 plus k.

Enjoy them, they are all good in their own way.