Melbourne shoulder surgeon refs

Beej1

Glenoid Dysplasia. Not the diagnosis I was hoping for.*Nor one I'd ever heard of till now.

I mean, it's not "No more MTB riding ever", but it's certainly "No more crashing/falling on outstretched hand/arm" and most definitely "No more heavy weight lifting of the bench press, shoulder press variety", and quite likely dual shoulder replacement in around 15-20 years.

The weight training limitations I can handle, albeit with disappointment. No crashing basically means slow down or ride with caution forever, or get really good at falling such that no force is sent down the humerus. Like those Parkour folk ... I guess. But still ... slowing down doesn't really appeal to me.

The shoulder repalcements ... well ... that's just gonna be fkd when it happens. Maybe advancements in the meantime will make it less serious. Hopefully.

In the meantime, arthroscopic fiddlery to repair labrum/tendon damage as a result of the deformity is in my immediate future. Followed by a winter of no rubber on dirt, and plenty of rehab instead. Then do it all again on the left side down the track (few years), since it's bilateral. D'oh.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I mean, it's not "No more MTB riding ever", but it's certainly "No more crashing/falling on outstretched hand/arm" and most definitely "No more heavy weight lifting of the bench press, shoulder press variety", and quite likely dual shoulder replacement in around 15-20 years.
Bummer,

I can understand no shoulder press, its not exactly a shoulder friendly exercise in the long term and contraindicated for many things, but I wonder why no bench, with elbows low (as in close to your sides) impingement and aggravation are minimised, and is a heavy load worse than a moderate load to volitional fatigue?

Beej1

I'm curious, did you have any shoulder pain before the crash?
Interesting question. Yes and no. Since learning of it this arvo I've been thinking about my whole life - since this deformity has been there all along. Essentially, the ball at the end of the humerus has never been applying pressure correctly to my glenoid/scapula socket, plus I have a great wedge of not-so-strong cartilage where there should be bone making up probably the rear 1/3 of my glenoid socket. So the former causes pain, and the latter leads to posterior labrum tears, and greater likelihood of posterior dislocation (which also causes tears, which also causes pain).

But ... I can't think of any issues or out-of-the-ordinary pain before getting hit by a car and going over the bars onto out-stretched right arm in 2003 (28yrs old). According to both surgeons, this probably began the path of problems leading to now with that shoulder.

I've had about 5 FOOSH crashes since then, and each hurts really REALLY bad. Like ... 10/10 for even a lame crash. But I've been able to rehab it back to near normal each time, until the one in October, which I haven't been able to recover from. Somewhere in one of those earlier crashes I've had a posterior dislocation as well, but it must've popped back in straight away as I have no memory of feeling it out of place.

On the plus side, the surgeon today (Shane Barwood - really nice guy) said he most often does arthroscopic repairs on Glenoid Dysplasia clients in their 20's. So it impressed him I'd made it to 42 before needing it. Small consolation.

Bummer,

I can understand no shoulder press, its not exactly a shoulder friendly exercise in the long term and contraindicated for many things, but I wonder why no bench, with elbows low (as in close to your sides) impingement and aggravation are minimised, and is a heavy load worse than a moderate load to volitional fatigue?
You seem to know a fair bit from memory, so forgive me if I'm explaining it wrong or you already know. I listened really hard, and think I understood all of it, but it was a lot to take in in 30 minutes. I think it was explained that any excess force pushing the humerus ball backward/posteriorly has no strong bone to push on, so combined with the misshapen socket causing pressure to be applied incorrectly, that action causes stress probably more than it should at best, pain, and damage/potential dislocation at worst. I this he said bench presses it backwards, and holding a weight above the head causes the worst incorrect pressure (due to muscle/tendon positions in that range of motion), and both of which fall into the category of excess force.

All I know is - having said all that - I've never had a problem lifting heavy weight on the bench with a bar, but I've had instability issues with heavy dumbbells approaching the end of the motion, and dropped a few on my chest as a result. I didn't know what it was at the time, so I just stopped and stuck with bar. So I may ask about that one when I meet Barwood's physios (mentioned earlier by someone). At the end of the day, I'd love to be able to bench. But if these guys say no, I don't think I'll risk it when I get back to lifting weights in a year or so. As for shoulder press ... I guess I'll never really know how much is normal discomfort as you suggest, and how much is this issue. I know I never liked doing it - it's always, always felt just plain wrong and uncomfortable. Which is why I usually always just pretend it isn't part of whatever routine I'm trying, if it's there.