Menai trails..?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Hi Farkers/Burners..

Me and a mate are looking to explore some new areas and have heard good things about Menai (have also seen videos of nice ladders and all kinda goodies).

Can anyone give me a quick run-down of where to go/what to look for? Will probably be out there early Sunday morning..

cheers.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
All depends on what kind of riding you're looking for, xc, am, or full on DH/FR. There's something for everyone but in different places.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
All depends on what kind of riding you're looking for, xc, am, or full on DH/FR. There's something for everyone but in different places.
ahh: XC/AM for me please... maybe a little bit of FR to look at and say 'yeah I could do that' and then not do it.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
some incredible stuff ogin on there...

praise be to the trailbuilders of Menai...

Was out there Sunday and whilst we weren't really able to find any decent XC or AM stuff (only horribly sandy dirtbike trails), we did come accross the downhill/freeride stuff... what an amazing setup.

Met some dude out there - very friendly (if you're on here mate, thanks again for showing us around and how it's done) - who showed us around the courses and led us down one of the trails (him on a massive intense and us on our little XC bikes!) - nice berms, nice flow... nice.

It's not at all my thing, I'm far too wussy, but I have been looking at the for sale ads in the downhill section now!

still... is there any decent, flowing single-track out there for people who aren't on big downhill machines?

mtb1611

Seymour
praise be to the trailbuilders of Menai...

Was out there Sunday and whilst we weren't really able to find any decent XC or AM stuff (only horribly sandy dirtbike trails)
You were DEFINITELY looking in the wrong places then. There are miles and miles of awesome singletrack at Lucas Heights.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You were DEFINITELY looking in the wrong places then. There are miles and miles of awesome singletrack at Lucas Heights.
+1, there is a lot of variety, smooth trails through to rocky. go with a few hours and a half-decent sense of direction and just start exploring. most areas are rideable, so you aren't going to end up with too much hike-a-bike. I have been there exploring over 2 days and found lots of fun stuff to ride.

Following the blue arrows on the trees is a good start.

ademb

Likes Dirt
When heading down southwards on new illawarra road, park across the road from the turn off into the Lucas Hts nuclear reactor. There will be a firetrail running parrallel to the road. Ride down onto that, head about 10-15ms southwards and you'll see a trail heading into the bush. Follow that and you've found yourself a whole bunch of trails!

mtb1611

Seymour
When heading down southwards on new illawarra road, park across the road from the turn off into the Lucas Hts nuclear reactor. There will be a firetrail running parrallel to the road. Ride down onto that, head about 10-15ms southwards and you'll see a trail heading into the bush. Follow that and you've found yourself a whole bunch of trails!
You could do that, and miss about 25 minutes worth of great singletrack in the process.....:cool:

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so where would you start..?
Park at ANSTO. Ride down the road. Cross Old Illawarra Rd. Ride straight into the single track that lines up with the ANSTO Rd, keep riding straight until you cross a little creek. Chuck a left and you will find the fun XC area (NS and other stuff). Anyother direction and youll be in a world of single track for hours and hours!

w00t!?

thadownzkid

Likes Dirt
I would start at the turn off to the tip personally. If you turn into the road leading to the tip, after about 20m there is a gate on the right. Ride down the fire trail for about 100m, hang a left onto a fire trail before all the big piles of dirt, then soon after hang a right onto singletrack. Its sweet. That'll lead you into a world of goodness. And to some sweet north shore that isnt too big.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
You could do that, and miss about 25 minutes worth of great singletrack in the process.....:cool:
so where would you start..?
I think he's talking about the single track that heads into the bush about 30m UP the fire trail from the parking area near ANSTO. This does climb but there is alot of nice single track across the top and then has a fun decent into the valley too. You could ride for days out there and probably not cover the same trails twice (figuratively speaking).