Merlin built wheels vs ???

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Anyone have any feedback on wheel built by Melin Cycles vs say CRC?
Alot of what I have seen is CRC are shit at building wheels so no keen to go down that road if possible....

Wish Hope still built with Stans rims :(

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
There are plenty of local builders that will work with parts that you supply...the bloke I use adds roughly $260 to my cost of the hubs and rims.

That said...the two sets of Merlin wheels I've seen to date were OK.

moorey

call me Mia
Anyone have any feedback on wheel built by Melin Cycles vs say CRC?
Alot of what I have seen is CRC are shit at building wheels so no keen to go down that road if possible....

Wish Hope still built with Stans rims :(
I've always had factory built Stans/hopes in the past. Last set were crc built. I've never had issues with any of them. My mate just bought Merlin hope/stans, and very quickly got the common loose driveside spokes. Quick tighten, no issues since. Dunno if just coincidence. Never happened to any of mine.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Had a set of wheels built by CRC in 2010 and used them for close to 4 years. Arch rims on Hope hubs with Rev spokes, never ever trued them, damn good build!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
There are plenty of local builders that will work with parts that you supply...the bloke I use adds roughly $260 to my cost of the hubs and rims.

That said...the two sets of Merlin wheels I've seen to date were OK.
Can source rims and hubs easy enough, the killer is spokes!
If you are looking at a decent spoke, retail for aerolites/ sapim CX is $10-$12 per spoke which is just stupid.
Rims and hubs (hope & stans) can be sourced for $560 but another $640* for spokes plus $140 for a build, no thanx!

* I understand the cost of quality but spokes, and their retail just get me for what they are !!!!!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
If you are looking at a decent spoke, retail for aerolites/ sapim CX is $10-$12 per spoke which is just stupid.
Rims and hubs (hope & stans) can be sourced for $560 but another $640* for spokes plus $140 for a build, no thanx!

* I understand the cost of quality but spokes, and their retail just get me for what they are !!!!!
Err...the wheel builder I use charges less than $3 for each Sapim spokes.

The wheels I just had built were $260 for the build including Sapim spokes and freight. That was Spank Oozy 295 on Hope pro2. All in for that I'm $720 in the red.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Maybe for bladed spokes..... If you're getting charged $10-$12 for a spoke and a nipple from your lbs... You're getting shafted.

$2/$3 for a spoke and nipple (Sapim or DT Double butted, brass nipples) is the norm. $60-$80 to build per wheel for labour...

So $350 ish for build, spoke and nipples.....
Ad the price your hubs and rims...

I just build a set of Hope Pro4 to Spank Oozy with DTSwiss comp db spokes for $800.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Can't comment on the Merlin built wheels, but I've had CRC wheels recently and also 5 or so years ago. The recent ones, too early to tell, but no issues so far. Also the pair I had built previously were run for 2+ years and no issues what so ever!

The latest ones come with a build certificate from the person that built the wheels and some other details, but I can't remember exactly what they were. Anyway... worse case would be that they build them, and you may need a true and tension down the track, you'll still be ahead money wise.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Crc wheels are awesome and great value for money. I've had 8 sets (at a guess) and never been let down by the build quality. They have out performed quite a few far more expensive lbs builds.

mark22

Likes Dirt
Had a set built by crc Hope Pro 4 and Easton Arc rims with DT Swiss spoke all for under $660, been great very happy.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a Merlin built wheel. I did have a few issues but that said their customer service was awesome, I just had it sorted locally and they reimbursed me.