Meta AM 29 Feedback

BT180

Max Pfaff
Anyone on the new Meta AM 29 yet? Keen to get some feedback. It's quite portly, so wondering how it goes up hills. What about coil vs air? Figuring weight saved with air + a more poppy feeling, but then lose some of that plush monster truck feeling.

Reactions: Zaf

BT180

Max Pfaff
Interesting feedback on the Slash, Zaf. I had noticed that actual vs effective STA was quite different, but hadn't considered seat angle or use of the dropper.

SDA

Likes Dirt

BT180

Max Pfaff
Thanks but I’ve read all the reviews/advertorials that are available. Looking for real world feedback now.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Haha, I was just kidding! Too similar in style and application to the Nicolai...the Meta TR is on the short list though.
Haha didn’t think the geo was extreme enough for you! Some of the locals here are ripping it up on the TR version. DHaRCO owner has setup a local race tream all using TRs. Very capable bikes.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Reviews aren't real world?

If you like what it says, jump in and enjoy the journey!
Mostly not. Paid for by the manufacturer in a controlled environment or local track during a press launch. They often all just regurgitate the manufacturers speil. There’s def some good reviews and unbiased reviews around, but I find it beneficial to also get feedback from the regular punter.

So far the Meta seems awesome, but really wanted some feedback on one of the air shock models as I’ve seen none of those.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It's super frustrating how many glowing "first-ride" reviews end with "we've got the __ on loan for the next few months and are looking forward to getting some more time in the saddle and will be post a more in-depth long-term review in a few months time" but the same bike is never seen on the same website again (even years later).

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's super frustrating how many glowing "first-ride" reviews end with "we've got the __ on loan for the next few months and are looking forward to getting some more time in the saddle and will be post a more in-depth long-term review in a few months time" but the same bike is never seen on the same website again (even years later).
Totally agree, or the later review is a paragraph talking about a creaking bottom bracket and a shifting issue on XT or GX that is on pretty much every bike you are looking at!

SDA

Likes Dirt
Yeah ok. I generally find enduro-mtb group tests pretty good. They highlight positives, negatives and suggested tuning tips. Likewise pinkbike, mbr and sometimes bikemag.

I would be surprised if someone in the 'real world' had an opposing view (i.e. decends terribly and climbs like a mountain goat).

Jump in and enjoy the experience. That's what I did for my Orbea. Most of what I read in the reviews was pretty accurate.

BT180

Max Pfaff
True, not bagging completely, as they're a definite start to gauge whether a bike has merit or not. Just need to take with a grain of salt IMO.

Also, as you say the group tests with back to back comparisons are pretty good. The latest Enduro Mag issue actually compares the Meta in a big enduro bike test. They recommended trying an air shock on the coil signature model for more pop and less weight.