Meta AM 29

Z

Zaf

@Ultra Lord Yeah that's the plan, sell all the other bikes (Honzo might survive that and just get packed up), sell most everything really before heading over to Newcastle. Finish up contract here in December, pack the car, hit the road. Looks like we might punch over to Perth in a day/two and do Christmas/New Years with family and then road trip the south coast, Margaret River, across the Bight to Melrose, Kangaroo Island, Otways, Vic high country, over to Newcastle.

@kbekus There certainly are! If you're serious about going the Ti (which I fully support) go check out Nordest Cycles, Stanton, Sick Bicycles, etc.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Don’t worry about ti, check out the curtis XR650! Sweet single pivot brazed goodness made by a legend of the sport.

@Zaf, you gotta keep the honzo. Everyone needs a hardtail. That trip sounds awesome. I loved my time in vic high country, cannot wait to head back down. You should swing past sutherland on your way up so I can fondle the nicolai abit hahaha

Z

Zaf

@Zaf, you gotta keep the honzo. Everyone needs a hardtail. That trip sounds awesome. I loved my time in vic high country, cannot wait to head back down. You should swing past sutherland on your way up so I can fondle the nicolai abit hahaha
Newcastle is the end destination, so we'll be practically be neighbours!
Also, I never said that I wouldn't keep a hardtail in the line up...just might not be a Honzo filling the position.

How about that Meta AM 29 though!! (that should be enough to save my bacon from derailling another thread into discussing Nicolais and Gearboxes).

BT180

Max Pfaff
Seriously when you look at that Meta pr0n and then see the price of the Firebired, 16kgs seems like an afterthought.

So moving to Newy eh @Zaf ? You'll be close to me also - time to hit the epic Northern Beaches!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Seriously when you look at that Meta pr0n and then see the price of the Firebired, 16kgs seems like an afterthought.

So moving to Newy eh @Zaf ? You'll be close to me also - time to hit the epic Northern Beaches!
Speaking of Northern Beaches. Manly Dam night rides! Where the bloody hell are ya @BT180 @Nerfherder.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

I might have to learn how to ride a bike properly before the end of the year.
Or just pick up a Meta AM 29er close my eyes after pointing it downhill.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isn’t that 50/1 bloke on the short travel bike?

These new commencals look brilliant, I’d stick to the 27.5 version though.
Just a meta 27 by the look of it, he makes that rig 'SHINE' tho…

Commencal are really onto something at the moment

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
.....Commencal are really onto something at the moment
Yeah I agree....I got excited about this bike (see earlier post page 1)....and I really like their pricing/value/aluminium-only etc etc blah blah...

.....but then I looked at the reach numbers. :(:(:(

Now before everyone starts banging on about "...one geo number in isolation does not maketh the bike..." and all that,
I wanna make the following points:
- I'm 6'3" /190cms with really long arms & legs (think Orangutan....with no less body hair, just brown instead of orange)
- Would it have killed them to just stretch the XL reach out a bit more?!! C'mon.....!
- Longer reach is like, y'know, the new 'black'. Everyone's doin' it....so it must be good. Seriously though.
- It's a freakin' 29er, so you'd figure taller guys are gonna consider it more readily...?

Ultra Lord

- It's a freakin' 29er, so you'd figure taller guys are gonna consider it more readily...?
Nope. 6”4 here, I wouldn’t touch them wagon wheels even if I was wearing a biohazard suite holding a bargepole.

Wheel size does not make the bike suitable for a persons hight. Always more to it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
What on earth were you riding before long front centres were a thing?
The wrong bike.

Nope. 6”4 here, I wouldn’t touch them wagon wheels even if I was wearing a biohazard suite holding a bargepole.

Wheel size does not make the bike suitable for a persons hight. Always more to it.
But is it not a factor at all? No consideration?. Zip. Zilch. Is frame size & geo where all the height matching happens?
I'm not saying tall peeps can't ride smaller wheels, just makes more sense to me that they would consider the wagon wheels sooner than a midget would....rightly or wrongly...? You have to admit many will come to the conclusion that 29ers make more sense (or "fit" better) to a taller rider?
(even if you're right)

I know I ride a longer snowboard than a shorter guy (or skiis if you're into that sort of thing), I put the seat further back in the car than my wife to make the "cockpit" fit better, I ride a slightly longer surfboard than my shorter & lighter mates etc etc....you get the point....

(stands behind sofa now after re-igniting the 1000-year wheel wars)

Ultra Lord

Yes people will draw that conclusion. And they will be wrong.

My bmx with 20” wheels fits sooooo much better than my old size L kona cowan 26” dirt jumper, because 21.5” top tube length and 9.5” tall bars and top load stem.

All those scenario’s you listed are like altering frame geometry. Which isn’t dictated by an extra couple of inches of wheel. 100%, you should ride a longer board than short dudes, much in the same that we ride longer bikes and it’s shitloads better.

Commencal have always been on the small side. Bloody frenchies.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Thanks a farkin' bunch 'Lord. I had my short-list narrowed to wheel size (at least)....you've just blown the list up!

Anyway, how 'bout that Commencal Meta AM 29 ?!

Ultra Lord

:) Glad I could help mate! Hahaha

Might I suggest the venerable tranny scout get a look in?

Happy hunting. Don’t forget the PYR.